Press brake for hyd. shop press??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Press brake for hyd. shop press??????

Hello, I'm new here, looks like an interesting BBS, hope I can contribute something occasionally.

I'm trying to locate a press brake for my 55 ton hyd. shop press, something in a 32-34" width, Northern sells a 29" wide/40 ton model for $229.

http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/...2&prmenbr=6970

Any experiences with these or other options?

Thanks in advance.

HB
    NRA Lifetime Member

HB
    For a shop press it will be adequate for everyday ho-hum bending. Like the occasional bending of plate and what not. Do not expect to do any real fancy foot work with it though. Semi-precise work can be done in a manual press (tin basher's box brake) with lighter gauge metals.

A precision press brake and die set (properly shimmed or adjusted for straight bend) is required for close tolerance work.

Comment

Thrud,
      Most of what I bend is 1/8-1/4" plate 2-12" wide for prototype work (brackets, etc) usually no more than 4 pieces at a time. I'm hoping this would be more precise than the "stick it in a big vice and hit it w/ a BFH" method I'm using now .

Do you know of any other sources for these type presses? This particular one is a little small for my press, I would have to do a few mods to it (to fit my bed and ram) and still worry about over-working it.

Thank you for the info.
      HB
      NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

An old time welder had a home made press brake on his trailer for brackets and such. Built it out of channel iron and the power was 3 air break pancakes (not the maki) from a junk yard. He liked to make 90* bends in 2inch wide chunks of 1/2inch just to show the power. Could bend 3ft of 10ga. If I built one it would have oil pumped by a power steering pump so that things wouldn't fly so far if everything lets go.

Comment

Hellbender: Check the back issues of the HSM. They had a artical in one of the issues some where around 1989. I made the bender and it will bend 1/4 X 2 inch stock.

The bender is made out of a piece of 1/2 inch plate and some 1/4 angle iron. Good luck. Charlie.
          Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
          http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Charlie,
            Thanks for the info, how would I go about getting the article? Can I purchase it from HSM?
            NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

Hellbender:
              You should use a die at least 1" wide at the top of the "v". You could weld some up out of heavy structural and reinforce it a little. A 90* with the 1/4" will require a 1"-2" wide die if you want a crisp bend. You might want to see if you can buy a foot or so of real punch & die mateial for a press brake - dealers usually have endcuts cheap. Experiment with some structural - it may be all you need.

Comment

Hellbender: You could do a artical search on the HOM web page. I did and could not find the artical. At least not with the words I used. There is a sheet metal bender listed, but don't think that was the artical. You might try calling Villiage press.

This bender is made from a 1/2 inch plate with a 1/4 x 2 inch angle iron welded with the "v" facing up and two more angles laying along side the first angle. All three being welded to the 1/2 inch plate. I guess this could be called the anvil. The hammer was a piece of 1 inch square stock welded to the edge of a piece of plate and the plate welded to a socket that the press ram fit into. The socket was set screwed to the ram to keep the hammer from falling off. The corner of the 1-inch square would set down into the "v" that is facing up. The metal that was to be bent was layed across the angle irons and the 1-SQ. pressed the stock into the "v" of the anvil. If HMS can't help you maybe I could take some pictures of the one I built and send. Sorry I was not any more help. Charlie.
                Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Everyone-

Thanks for the ideas, I think I'll try and find some pre-made male and female dies and build one myself, looks like a pretty simple project. The dies, a heavy baseplate, a couple of uprights and a piece of I-beam.

Thanks again,

HB

NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

hellbender - I recently built a small press brake for my(home)shop press. Within it's limitations it does just fine. At work we we have a 175 ton Cincinnati (sp?) and people that do know how to properly operate a PB so I know how it should look. I found some die stock at a surplus outfit and "floated" the female die. The dies are largly self aligning. All my breaks so far have been consistent across the material. I have not tried shimming the lower die to break the two sides of the material at a different angle. I used a sliding 90 Degree angle plate for a back gauge and I've been able to break thinner material fairly consistently. I have some photos I can e-mail you if you like. ...jerry...

Comment

HB

I do not think you will have any real problems if you use a hand pump on the hyrdaulics. If you are running a powered pump it is harder to control tonnage without limit switches to prevent bottoming out and possible damage to the work and the machine. I was using a 400 ton brake making 10Ga. brackets. The spherical bearing on the far side toggle plate disintegrated at the bottom of the stroke - full tonnage - it overpressured and before I could get my foot off the pedal the steel was cut in half and the die split. Scary stuff - the whole plant heard the bearing give and came running. They learned new swear words that day...

Comment

uwmetalman--Thanks for the info, I would be very interested in the pics!

my e-mail is... [email protected]

Thrud--My press is a hand pump type (dual cylinder) and has a pressure guage.

[This message has been edited by Hellbender (edited 06-04-2002).]
                        NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

Working...
                        X