Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spiral cutter for Stanley electric planer???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiral cutter for Stanley electric planer???

I am looking for a cutter for my old Stanley electric hand planer. Basically it's a router that mounts into a planer frame. Any ideas where I can find one? It is just shy of 1-7/8" long and is right at 3/4" diameter with a 5/16 " bore.
    Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Is it too far gone to have it sharpened?

Comment

I've had good luck sourcing woodworking bits/blades/shaper heads from Rockler - might be worth a phone call or e-mail

http://www.rockler.com/

Comment

Have you tried Stanley?

Comment

that thing must be ancient- I havent seen anybody selling power planers narrower than 3" since the early 70s. Still, try these guys- https://www.ereplacementparts.com/st...03_570471.html
          you dont say your model number, but you could call em (always better than emailing, but many of us have forgotten how)

Also, I doubt Stanley made these- unless its from the sixties or before- so there may be interchangeability with Porter Cable, or other similar small planers- I think the Porter Cable 167 block plane may have a similar sized blade. Best bet would be to find an old timer at one of the bigger hand power tool repair shops. I dont think this is something you will find on Amazon.

is it a J-38? that would be ancient. original 1952 catalog online here says they had a 1 13/16" width of cut- https://archive.org/details/StanleyE...ToolsCatalog96

http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworki...a-power-plane/
          Last edited by Ries; 08-20-2018, 03:58 PM.

Comment

In the research I've done others that needed the same cutter say Stanley no longer has these. Stanley says this line was sold to porter cable or Bosch???. Replacements for those brands are way too much money.
            The model number is GA-H142 A
            I don't know if it's too far gone to sharpen. There aren't any local sharpening companies that I can get an estimate from. I have a tool and cutter grinder but I don't have the tooling required to sharpen the cutter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
            Last edited by challenger; 08-20-2018, 04:27 PM.

Comment

So try a Porter Cable cutter.

Comment

Bosch bought Stanley Power Tools back in the early 80’s.
                Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Originally posted by Speaker77 View Post
                  I've had good luck sourcing woodworking bits/blades/shaper heads from Rockler - might be worth a phone call or e-mail

http://www.rockler.com/
                  I reckon you could sharpen with a straight wheel and finger stop, seen one done by wrapping a rubber band round the cutter to keep it on the index finger, or you could use the wire and weight, might not be the factory angle but I’d guess a close approximation could be achieved, not a lot to loose
                  Mark

Comment

I recently sold a larger Stanley door edge planer setup. Same style cutter. It included the bit sharpening jig that used the router motor itself with a mounted grinding wheel as the sharpener.

It took me at least a half hour to sharpen the cutter, not including the learning curve to figure out how the jig was supposed to work. At today's labor rates that'd be an expensive sharpening. My little Bosch planer with double edge carbide insert knives does a nice job at less expense, but it cant match the job the old Stanley would do with its long bed.

Those cutters can be easier and quicker sharpened on a tool and cutter grinder with the same setup used for end mills.

I'll look through my odds and ends, at one time I had a couple of the cutters.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab;1191172on
                      I reckyou could sharpen with a straight wheel and finger stop, seen one done by wrapping a rubber band round the cutter to keep it on the index finger, or you could use the wire and weight, might not be the factory angle but I’d guess a close approximation could be achieved, not a lot to loose
                      Mark
                      Yup...... I was thinking the same thing as I was visualizing setting it up on my air spindle. It would be like sharpening the flutes of an end mill.

Someone posted some info on a place that sharpens all kinds of cutters a month ago or so.

JL..............

Comment

I'm guessing it would be the same process used to sharpen a helical toothed slab milling cutter. I see nothing in the K.O. Lee T&C grinder book that discuses it in any depth.

Comment

This thread over at PM maybe of some help-

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...e-parts-97295/
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                            I'm guessing it would be the same process used to sharpen a helical toothed slab milling cutter. I see nothing in the K.O. Lee T&C grinder book that discuses it in any depth.
                            I think my KO manual shows a set up for the HTSMC.

JL.....

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                              I think my KO manual shows a set up for the HTSMC.

JL.....

Find or make a mandrel so you can sharpen it between centers. The finger needs to be attached to the wheel head. Top of the finger needs to be set at the helix angle. Same deal as sharpening a helical milling cutter.

Comment

Working...
                              X