1995 machine shop in Wales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 machine shop in Wales

In 1995 I was strolling on the streets of Bangor, Wales, on a sunny day. I passed a machine shop with the doors open, and on a whim took this photo with my Pentax IQZ 928, loaded with Fuji Superia 800 film.

This was a few days before the end of a 10-month backpacking trip around the world. I am now restoring those photos, and when I can figure it out I am geo-tagging the locations, and adding an explanatory note. I don't suppose anybody will know where this machine shop is. But can you identify the make of the turret lathe?

Here is a close up -- I cannot see any nameplate on it.

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Pretty great photo. I think only the long tube light in the back betrays this photo as being taken any time after the 1940s.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post
      In 1995 I was strolling on the streets of Bangor, Wales, on a sunny day.
      Allan,

I studied forestry at Bangor University - I graduated in 1976.

A sunny day? In Bangor? You were indeed fortunate! It is without doubt the consistently wettest place that I have ever lived in. It could drizzle and rain for weeks on end.

Ian.

Comment

Ian,

I stayed two nights in the residence hall at Bangor University. It was 18-20 July 1995, and I had arrived on the hydrofoil from Dublin to Holyhead. On the bus to Bangor I passed through the village with U.K.s longest place name -- Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch. Can you say that?
        Last edited by aostling; 08-24-2018, 11:55 PM.
        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

They do look like machines of the 40's era.
          If you look closely at the second picture there may be a small oval name plate mounted on that box with the rounded top and bottom at the front of the head stock or just behind what looks like a face plate.

JL......
          Last edited by JoeLee; 08-25-2018, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            They do look like machines of the 40's era.
            If you look closely at the second picture there may be a small oval name plate mounted on that box with the rounded top and bottom at the front of the head stock or just behind what looks like a face plate.

JL......
            I see it now, but we will never be able to read it.
            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Hi Alan
              Looks like a "Ward Lathe" with the name Ward in raised letters on the Headstock Casting.
              "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysili o gogogoch. Can you say that?"No but here is one to try comes complete with the legend on attached Link http://teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/1...e-in-the-world

Eric Chapman
              Last edited by velocette; 08-25-2018, 12:21 AM. Reason: Corrected link address

Comment

That would be a Ward. I thought it said "WATS" on the headstock at first, but that was not quite right. Then I found the general shape in google images. Cinched by the writeup at http://www.lathes.co.uk/ward-60s/ . The control dials matched.

Dan

Eric was a faster typist. I paused to answer a question for my wife. Oh Well.
                Last edited by danlb; 08-25-2018, 12:26 AM.
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by velocette View Post
                  Hi Alan
                  Looks like a "Ward Lathe" with the name Ward in raised letters on the Headstock Casting.
                  "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysili o gogogoch. Can you say that?"No but here is one to try comes complete with the legend on attached Link http://teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/1...e-in-the-world

Eric Chapman
                  Eric and Dan, thanks to you both, you basically tied for first place. That nameplate, which I took to be spilt paint, didn't fool you guys.

Here is a photo of the NZ placename, which I took in September 2015. As you can see the old translation erred -- Tamatea was not lamenting his "loved one," it was his brother.

Last edited by aostling; 08-25-2018, 01:32 AM.
                  Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post
                    Ian,

I stayed two nights in the residence hall at Bangor University. It was 18-20 July 1995, and I had arrived on the hydrofoil from Dublin to Holyhead. On the bus to Bangor I passed through the village with U.K.s longest place name -- Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch. Can you say that?
                    I used to be able to - after some coaching by the locals. Quite sensibly, they mostly call it ' Llanfair P G '.

Now that I think back, I do remember a couple of similar roadside workshops located down by the Docks/Pier area, catering to what was, even then, the somewhat depleted fishing fleet.

Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by IanPendle View Post
                      ... Now that I think back, I do remember a couple of similar roadside workshops located down by the Docks/Pier area, catering to what was, even then, the somewhat depleted fishing fleet.
                      Ian,

I wonder if this laundrette was in Bangor during your student days. I'd like to geotag it if you can remember it.

Most might assume the following is a photo of a cathedral. You and I know that it is the Main Arts building at Bangor University. I suppose you have been inside.

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Allan,

Yes, I sat through some rather dreary Economics lectures in the Main Arts building!

Re: the Launderette photo. I consulted with an old university friend with a better memory than me and he thinks it was on College Rd in Upper Bangor. He suspects that it has now been demolished as part of the university buildings expansion. It no longer shows on Google Street Views. Progress........

Comment

Thats a Ward capstan lathe, probably a 2A. I spent a summer holiday working one of those in the 1960s, and it was an old machine even then, had 'War Finish' stencilled on the back of the bed. That vertical lever at the front of the headstock is the manual collet release. My how my arm ached after a day of of pushing that thing in and out about a thousand times or so. Later ones had air control I think.
                          'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

I think we’re looking at a ward no2 capstan lathe with overarm, no bar feeder, bread and butter parts machine of the 60s and 70s.
                            I’d of the shop probably in Bangor’s yellow pages
                            Mark
                            Last edited by boslab; 08-25-2018, 04:00 AM. Reason: Too small for a 4!

Comment

Originally posted by IanPendle View Post
                              Allan,

Re: the Launderette photo. I consulted with an old university friend with a better memory than me and he thinks it was on College Rd in Upper Bangor. He suspects that it has now been demolished as part of the university buildings expansion. It no longer shows on Google Street Views. Progress........
                              Thanks Ian. I will annotate the photo with your friend's info.
                              Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                              X