Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clive
    replied
    Allan, the strange rock formation at Hikurangi were/are part of the Waro reserve,limestone. I did my apprenticeship as a Fitter, Turner, Machinist at Portland Cement which is 5 miles south of Whangarei, anyway they were also quarrying the back of the Waro limestone and occasionally something would break and we would have a crew sent out to fix it. One time I was there the foreman showed me a large rock of limestone near the canteen and it was full of fossils. What a waste, all going into cement. Dived many times at the Poor Knights and the fish life and 100 foot plus visibility has to be seen to be believed. Really miss my hometown but live here in Western Australia, both our kids are here plus grandchildren so here we will stay.
    Last edited by clive; 08-27-2018, 05:22 AM. Reason: Grammer, spelling

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    Originally posted by clive View Post
    Yes, I know Ngunguru very well, it’s a nice area, did you get around the coast to Matapouri and the other beaches? You can do a loop from Whangarei thru to Ngunguru and on up the coast and back thru Hikurangi, brilliant beaches, there are a couple you can only access thru private property and are not so well known.
    According to my trip diary for 1 November 1994:
    ... Bought Shellite (white gas) at Waitangi for my MSR stove. Hikurangi has strange rock formations. Tutukaka coast road to Sandy Bay, saw Pied Stilt on road, more Pukeko. At bay saw two Black Oystercatchers with red bills and eyes, red legs. Far off shore in binoculars spotted hole-in-rocks, an arch, on Poor Knights Island (home of the tuatara!), which has high cliffs, and "best scuba diving in NZ" (Lonely Planet). At Manapouri the flame trees had brilliant red flowers (but no leaves); woman says they are not native. Ngunguru hard to say. The "ng" is like a three-stooges laugh. Checked into nice $12 room at Coastal Backpackers, one other guy Alex (Swiss) is here. He has four juggling balls and has dug a gallon of clams. Keith, the owner, restores old Morris cars. He just milked a cow (this is a farm) and will give me milk. Free comb honey in the fridge. Keith gave me a "pipino," a fruit from South America, tastes like a melon, size of an orange.
    Says we can pick passionfruit from his garden. it was long and yellow, banana-shaped, quite tart. The milk has yellow cream on top -- great for coffee, too rich for my granola.

And so it went, day after day for the ten weeks I was driving around New Zealand in a 1980 Datsun Bunny I had purchased for NZ$950.

Then it was off to OZ and Tasmania for a month. I loved Perth and the country down to Albany, including Bunbury, so I don't need to wonder why you are happy living there.

Leave a comment:

• clive
    replied
    Yes, I know Ngunguru very well, it’s a nice area, did you get around the coast to Matapouri and the other beaches? You can do a loop from Whangarei thru to Ngunguru and on up the coast and back thru Hikurangi, brilliant beaches, there are a couple you can only access thru private property and are not so well known.

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    Whangarei, came to Oz in 1998.
    Then you probably know the nearby town, Ngunguru, where I stayed for two nights at a backpackers in 1994. There was a turkey gobbling in the back garden which probably was closer than my attempt to render the correct Maori pronunciation.

Leave a comment:

• clive
    replied
    Originally posted by aostling View Post
    Clive, I didn't know you were a New Zealander. What town did you grow up in?
    Whangarei, came to Oz in 1998.

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    Tenakohe ehoa, yep made it but being from NZ I have an advantage, Te reo Maori is very phonetic and the trick is to break the word up into it’s parts. Kiaora.
    Clive, I didn't know you were a New Zealander. What town did you grow up in?

Leave a comment:

• clive
    replied
    Originally posted by velocette View Post
    Hi Alan
    Looks like a "Ward Lathe" with the name Ward in raised letters on the Headstock Casting.
    "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysili o gogogoch. Can you say that?"No but here is one to try comes complete with the legend on attached Link http://teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/1...e-in-the-world

Eric Chapman
    Tenakohe ehoa, yep made it but being from NZ I have an advantage, Te reo Maori is very phonetic and the trick is to break the word up into it’s parts. Kiaora.
    Last edited by clive; 08-26-2018, 08:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Peter.
    replied
    Originally posted by aostling View Post
    Ian,

I stayed two nights in the residence hall at Bangor University. It was 18-20 July 1995, and I had arrived on the hydrofoil from Dublin to Holyhead. On the bus to Bangor I passed through the village with U.K.s longest place name -- Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch. Can you say that?
    Yep.

I grew up on Anglesea/Holyhead. That Dublin ferry (not the hydrofoil, which TBH I don't even remember in the '80s) saved my bacon one day when I was stranded out at sea in my fishing boat aged 14. They picked us up on their radar (I was furiously waving a radar reflector at them) and reported it to the lifeboat station.

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    Originally posted by IanPendle View Post
    Allan,

Yes, I sat through some rather dreary Economics lectures in the Main Arts building!

Re: the Launderette photo. I consulted with an old university friend with a better memory than me and he thinks it was on College Rd in Upper Bangor. He suspects that it has now been demolished as part of the university buildings expansion. It no longer shows on Google Street Views. Progress........
    Ian,

Your University friend is spot on. The laundrette was at the corner of College Road and The Crescent, as proven by this Google street view https://goo.gl/maps/5p8EWwPvG3w. The laundrette is gone, but the building on the right is unchanged.

Thanks, I never could have geo-tagged this without your help.

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    I can actually say it, short is llan fair pwlch (lan fire puth)
    Wards were fun, roller box tools, knee tools etc, you need to be in a trance to operate if your speed changing etc, drunk was good, stoned better.
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by velocette View Post
    Hi Alan
    Looks like a "Ward Lathe" with the name Ward in raised letters on the Headstock Casting.
    "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysili o gogogoch. Can you say that?"No but here is one to try comes complete with the legend on attached Link http://teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/1...e-in-the-world

Eric Chapman
    I don't know how you can read any raised letters on the head. I can see something there but it looks like blue ink marker or something.

I guess it is a Ward........https://www.tradeplantequipment.com....n-lathe-380175

Good detective work !!

JL.................

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    Originally posted by IanPendle View Post
    Allan,

Re: the Launderette photo. I consulted with an old university friend with a better memory than me and he thinks it was on College Rd in Upper Bangor. He suspects that it has now been demolished as part of the university buildings expansion. It no longer shows on Google Street Views. Progress........
    Thanks Ian. I will annotate the photo with your friend's info.

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    I think we’re looking at a ward no2 capstan lathe with overarm, no bar feeder, bread and butter parts machine of the 60s and 70s.
    I’d of the shop probably in Bangor’s yellow pages
    Mark
    Last edited by boslab; 08-25-2018, 04:00 AM. Reason: Too small for a 4!

Leave a comment:

• Richard P Wilson
    replied
    Thats a Ward capstan lathe, probably a 2A. I spent a summer holiday working one of those in the 1960s, and it was an old machine even then, had 'War Finish' stencilled on the back of the bed. That vertical lever at the front of the headstock is the manual collet release. My how my arm ached after a day of of pushing that thing in and out about a thousand times or so. Later ones had air control I think.

Leave a comment:

• IanPendle
    replied
    Allan,

Yes, I sat through some rather dreary Economics lectures in the Main Arts building!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X