Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lathe Tool suggestions for an old Newbie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get multifix toolpost and you can only dream of cutting dovetails to oversize holders 😂

Comment

• Dan, I agree 110% with that. But this is why we have multiple holders. I could/would use the dedicated "solid" holders for general turning and have a few with the adjustable tools for those special needs situations.

MattiJ, now you're just being CRUEL! ! ! !
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• Ok guys, I have a more budget conscious solution that may interest some.
        But it will help , if you learn to start grinding tools..
        I ran my lathe for at least 25 years without a quick change holder, still don't have one.
        So you need a 4 way holder that indexes.
        Keep in mind this is for 16 inch swing, so scale according to your needs.

Then I made a bar from say 1.75 or 1 94 shaft , about 9 inches long, milled 4 flats, so it fit my 4 way.. still has rounded corners.
        Then I milled a 5/16 slot, across the faced end so top of slot was on centre height. Put setscrew threads above that to clamp tool. Then a slot in the side about 1.7 long, with setscrews.. the inner part I made a bit bigger only need 3 setscrews to hold tool . A bit of clearance so 5/16 slides easy in slot will help. .
        Now I am set up for 5/16 and smaller square hss blanks, shim up if needed

Now if you need to machine in a small recess 4 inches from the toolpoost, or into a large bore , its easy . Hang the holder out from the 4 way .
        It gets me thru 90 percent if my machining needs.

It did run into clearance problems threading long thread where this toolholder was angled say 40 degrees to get close to the chuck. So I cut the backside off, then machined a radius groove into backside so I can get close to the work. So the end of the main toolholder bar is say 5/8 thick at one end. The treading tool I use is HSS ground at around a 45 degree angle to the side of the blank..

So an afternoons work , for a toolholder that will get you thru a maximum amount of setups at low cost.. if you can live with HSS tools and grindyourown.

Comment

• The Shars type #201 and #202 holders came in today. I wonder what requirements and what standards the guarantee is related to?

Comment

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
            Say no more:

Or if you want 6 cutting corners:
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-WNMG3...UAAOSwOA1aO2lt

(both inserts are again 99,99% likely counterfeits, ignore brand)
            Got my box of inserts, really well polished and smooth chip breakers, no cock-ups on grinding and the inserts are sharp.

60 cutting edges to use for 15 euros so 25 cents per cutting edge. And there is plenty of meat in these to sharpen them for couple of rounds if you really want to penny-pinch.

Comment

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
              Got my box of inserts, really well polished and smooth chip breakers, no cock-ups on grinding and the inserts are sharp.

60 cutting edges to use for 15 euros so 25 cents per cutting edge. And there is plenty of meat in these to sharpen them for couple of rounds if you really want to penny-pinch.
              Got also the holder and was playing around a bit with the inserts... suprisingly tough grade as I tried the insert on 1018, stainless, 416R prehard, 4340PH, cut off the splines from BUFO grade 12.9 torx bolt head and smoothened out a rather hard Unbrako hex key..
              Enough sharp to take 0.01mm cut with good surface finish on a gummybear 1018 and 12.9 bolt even at ridiculous speeds like 10 m/min (30ft/min)

Holder is bulky, otherwise these should work even on a tiny lathe.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                . I wonder what requirements and what standards the guarantee is related to?
                COI S.1.4 (Cheap Offshore Importer): It shall be good enough that the customer pays and does not return it
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

• I have about 25 toolholders for about 6 different types of tips, Kennametal, Sandvik, Seco, Iscar and cheap Chinese ones which make up about half of the quantity. Apart from a couple of 25x25 size, they are all 20x20. The Smart & Brown only has a four way toolpost, and being lazy, I have milled the toolholders down to the correct thickness to not require shims. The lathe height is 18.53mm, and I have found that the steel quality and hardness is pretty consistent over all.
                  As for making your own holders for tips, you need to go for the simplest type. If you look at the holders that surround the tip, it is obvious that they are produced with tiny milling cutters, probably solid carbide running at very high speeds. I prefer to avoid using anything under 1/8", 3mm in the drill mill, which is too big. Negative inserts with square sides would be the easiest pockets to cut, and you need to offset the screw hole by about 0.005" to hold the insert tightly.
                  Last edited by old mart; 10-19-2018, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by old mart View Post
                    As for making your own holders for tips, you need to go for the simplest type. If you look at the holders that surround the tip, it is obvious that they are produced with tiny milling cutters, probably solid carbide running at very high speeds. I prefer to avoid using anything under 1/8", 3mm in the drill mill, which is too big. Negative inserts with square sides would be the easiest pockets to cut, and you need to offset the screw hole by about 0.005" to hold the insert tightly.
                    3mm end mill works just fine for insert pockets, the corner relief just needs to be bit larger. Like this:

Ideally you would also cut the insert pocket walls to some correct angle like 7 degrees fox xCxx inserts, cheap 15 degree carbide engraver from ebay works for this after re-grinding it for stronger relief angle.
                    Or just use small needle file to put a small chamfer on the pocket edges, seems to work just fine for light use.
                    I would also offset the screw hole more than 0.005", maybe more like 0.01" to 0.02" depending on insert/screw size.

"Asian import" insert lathe tools are just so cheap a that making your own doesn't make you rich and the cheapos are already hardened and with correct pockets. (typically about 5 usd for 12mm or 1/2" shank tools from china)
                    Last edited by MattiJ; 10-20-2018, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X