No announcement yet.

OT- My New- To-Me Tiny House on Wheels!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- My New- To-Me Tiny House on Wheels!

Winters here are very hard on me so I'm looking to escape to the SW to do long range precision shooting with mainly 308s, 6.5 CMs & 338 lapua Mags. I live 30-40 miles north of RV Central where most RVs are built & know the build quality, I'll pass. So I bought a Great Quality, No Rust, Low Miles Diesel Ambulance. Has a Horton Alum & SS body, tons of storage, a gun safe inside & one outside. All the graphics removed, new tires & batteries this year, rear air & heat, great lighting, wired for 120v & 12v. Large altenator. Drove it almost 200 miles home at 75mph on cruise with no noises or problems, leaks, & seemed good on fuel. Going to add a solar system(cheap these days), awning, microwave, toater oven, small fridge, cooktop & a sofabed. If I get tired just pull in somewhere & take a nap. Just need to name the new addition to my family, any serious ideas appreciated. When I was young & raced MX my '66 Chevy van said "Born to me Wild" Guess I could change Wild to Mild but want sont something new. Watched a show on Tiny Houses where some poor soul ran thru his $50k inheratence from his dad whom he hated & still didn't finish a Piece-O-Crap 8'x12' on a cheap sng axle trailer. Couldn't be happier!

At one time they used to call big cars "land yachts"...maybe, considering what you are going to use it for and will be hauling, you could call your new acquisition "The Gunboat"?

Comment

kinda freaky sounding - wonder how many people have "crossed over" in that thing and what kind of nightmares your about to have trying to sleep in it...

if i got a house on wheels it would have a turbo diesel in it though that's for sure... only way to go...

Comment

Sounds like something that would make the news.
        Andy

Comment

Sounds like a dream
          Adding something like a motorcycle or tow a car so u don’t have to pack up your home each time you need to hit the store etc?
          "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
            Has a Horton Alum & SS body, tons of storage, a gun safe inside & one outside.
            Ambulances have gun safes?

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
              Sounds like something that would make the news.
              Makes more sense than the goofy rich fellow back in the 1970s or so who converted a tanker trailer into an amphibious RV and planned to sail it around the world. Always wondered how long it took him to figure out that was a bad idea, and whether he and the wife got out before it sank (if it did).

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
              At one time they used to call big cars "land yachts"..........
              At the in-laws, a visiting friend of theirs had an RV, a fairly large one with a roll-out section. It was actually CALLED "land yacht" by the manufacturer, that name was painted right on it as the name of the version. Their friend had no house, just traveled around in the "yacht". (no idea how she handled "residency" and driver license with no "fixed address")

"Gunboat" is a good one. Even better if it were a retired Brinks truck.
              Last edited by J Tiers; 08-27-2018, 09:54 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

"Lumberjack" ?

Comment

Got our first 'tiny house' 20 years ago. Here is a website dedicated to vans and Sportsmobile van conversions. There is a wealth of information
                  about systems for small living spaces.

www.sportsmobileforum.com

Enjoy the freedom of a small RV - able park almost anywhere, toilet when and where you want it, ability to go on small roads, etc.

Mike

Comment

Im still thinking the second he falls asleep in that thing he's going to be hearing voices yelling out "give me so many CC's of such and such" and all kinds of screaming and yelling and total trauma, then that old familiar flat line beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep followed by "were losing him - were losing him" - then he will wake up in a cold sweat choking on his own tongue...
                    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 08-27-2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                      Im still thinking the second he falls asleep in that thing he's going to be hearing voices yelling out "give me so many CC's of such and such" and all kinds of screaming and yelling and total trauma, then that old familiar flat line beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep followed by "were losing him - were losing him" - then he will wake up in a cold sweat choking on his own tongue...
                      I bet you sleep with the light on at night, don't you?

Comment

Flylo, from a good friend to another, this is a bad idea. You're really going to want a bathroom with a shower, toilet, sink, kitchen, and a damn nice comfortable bed as a minimum. Get yourself an RV instead. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                          I bet you sleep with the light on at night, don't you?
                          Nope not into making rookie mistakes, nothing like showing the boogie man right where your at dude...

Comment

Since you're actually planning on sleeping in it, it might be renamed "The Sombulance"
                            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                              Flylo, from a good friend to another, this is a bad idea. You're really going to want a bathroom with a shower, toilet, sink, kitchen, and a damn nice comfortable bed as a minimum. Get yourself an RV instead. Seriously.
                              No s***. With the statement "I've seen the build quality" concerning RVs, I really doubt whether the ambulance is going to provide a reasonable "comfort quotient", at least not without a LOT of effort put into it up front.

As for the spooks, no issue there, the ambulance moves, and aren't spooks supposed to be tied to the specific location? More likely to need to give it a really good cleaning.... to get rid of the various diseases the "temporary residents" may have had.... Anything from ordinary issues through cholera to maybe even plague or Ebola.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X