Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DATo
    replied
    I spent most of my career working with the Bridgeport vise and it took some time to get used to the Kurt. I don't know why. I guess I was just used to the Bridgeport like an old friend and didn't want to give it up, but now I wouldn't trade a Kurt for a Bridgeport. The Kurt offers many advantages not available in the Bridgeport for set up that I didn't readily appreciate at first.

Leave a comment:

• Dan_the_Chemist
    replied
    I got a cheap Bridgeport vise at auction. The funny thing is that it also had a small plate that said "Kurt" on it. I wrote to Kurt and they wrote back and told me that they had an OEM relationship with Bridgeport for several years. For a while the nameplates only said Bridgeport, and for a while they had both nameplates on the vise - BP and Kurt. I had one with the two nameplates.

Fortunately the rebuild kit for Kurt vises fit and worked perfectly. Some scraping, some repainting, and I have a lovely Kurt vise that cost me around $100 (total) and a lot of elbow grease.

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    Check out GERARDI,they not cheap unless you get lucky!My freind got a 8x12" Gerardi for $275 at Auction new price is $3200,the 8" Kurts brought $500.
    Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 12-13-2018, 10:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    Deja vu...

Leave a comment:

• softtail
    replied
    Originally posted by flylo View Post
    And search KERT I got some good deals on poor spelling & bad pics.
    Yes.. and don't forget 'vice'.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Bridgeports vise looks like something you would be better off mounting on your drill press or something like that, I do believe the 6" version is heavy enough to keep a small aluminum boat from drifting away so might be another good use of it VS just turning it in for scrap... (SJ would be proud of me about right now)

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    Originally posted by softtail View Post
    If you really want one you need to browse the new listings for used vises everyday. Or get very thorough about your search terms.. ie ceate a number of searches to cover all possible ways a Kurt could be listed.

For example, there is one on Ebay right now listed as an 'Anglelok D60'... zero mention of Kurt for $200.
    And search KERT I got some good deals on poor spelling & bad pics.

Leave a comment:

• bborr01
    replied
    No matter what brand vise you buy make sure it has the anglock type mechanism that keeps the movable jaw down tight. If you don't have that feature, and as far as I know Bridgeport vised don't have it, your work piece sill lift up when it is tightened. I have several Kurts and a Parlec. The Parlec is nice enough but it is pretty stiff to turn the handle. My Kurts all spin freely with a speed handle using one finger. The Parlec needs the speed handle to be firmly grasped with your hand to turn it. Not really very speedy.

As others have said, there are many brands of Kurt clones out there. I did have an import Kurt clone and it was OK but it is kind of hit and miss with quality.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Mike Hunter
    replied
    I have both, Kurt hands down. ... You may also want to look at Parlec, Not a big name brand like Kurt, but the quality is there. Years ago I bought one from Enco...Siniffle Sniffle

About half the price of a Kurt.

Leave a comment:

• softtail
    replied
    If you really want one you need to browse the new listings for used vises everyday. Or get very thorough about your search terms.. ie ceate a number of searches to cover all possible ways a Kurt could be listed.

For example, there is one on Ebay right now listed as an 'Anglelok D60'... zero mention of Kurt for $200.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
    I was never a fan of the Bridgeport vises,they aren't as accurate or repeatable as the Kurt type,even the import Kurt clones.I've got two Kurt D688's at work and like them alot.
    Sadly it looks like Kurt has halted production on the 688 and went with thier new DX6 design.I'm sure the vise works well as all Kurt vises do,but I don't like the bolt through mounting holes in the vise bed nor the cutouts for the side mounting holes.Just what every mill vise needs,a feature that traps and holds swarf.

If your machine is smaller than a Bridgeport,you might want a 5" vise though.The Kurt D688's are 18" overall length IIRC and might be a bit big for an 8x36 table.
    That's what made me think twice about buying one. That has to be a big PIA to keep clean.

JL...............

Leave a comment:

• Glug
    replied
    "SE Texas" is a pretty big area. You should be able to find a nice Kurt at auction for about $150.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    I was never a fan of the Bridgeport vises,they aren't as accurate or repeatable as the Kurt type,even the import Kurt clones.I've got two Kurt D688's at work and like them alot.
    Sadly it looks like Kurt has halted production on the 688 and went with thier new DX6 design.I'm sure the vise works well as all Kurt vises do,but I don't like the bolt through mounting holes in the vise bed nor the cutouts for the side mounting holes.Just what every mill vise needs,a feature that traps and holds swarf.

If your machine is smaller than a Bridgeport,you might want a 5" vise though.The Kurt D688's are 18" overall length IIRC and might be a bit big for an 8x36 table.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    I have had a search running on E-Bay for several months now for Kurt Milling Vise. Naturally I have seen many offered for sale. Some are in near new condition with a price to match. Others are well used and abused and are priced to match. No real super bargains there.

But E-Bay also sends E-mails about Bridgeport milling vises. The prices for them are well under those for the Kurts. And I am wondering just how well does a Bridgeport vise stack up against a Kurt? I have never had the chance to see either one up close and personal.
    Real bargains are few and far in between. On ebay everybody has gold !!

I have an original BP vise with swivel base that came with my mill. It's in near new condition because I've never abused it. My only complaint is the movable jaw does kick up almost .001 due to the wear and is typical of that design. I've often thought of grinding a slight taper on the movable jaw face to compensate for the lift when tightened.

JL..............

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    I've had both I'd go Kurt hands down. I've seen & bouht 6" Bridgeports for under $50.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X