Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
    Joe, you missed my post....# 34
    Alignment is a piece of cake in all directions.

Rich
    Yea, sometimes I miss a lot of posts as they come pouring in faster than I can read them.

JL.................

Comment

Whelp, the tool holder came in a few days ago and i finally found a few moments to fiddle with it:

Spent a bit of time getting everything aligned and gave her a test go. Initial results are, i like it. I like keeping my tool post square/parallel to the travel anyway, so theres no setup to go through there that i dont already do. Vertical setup was a one-and-done, got the screw set and dont expect to ever have to mess with it. Horizontal setting is as easy as paying attention to the drill and adjusting to get the wobble out, again pretty simple and im not seeing any problems using it on a regular basis.

As far as how it works, pretty well. Got the setup done and took a 1/4ish drill (may have been a #7) to some 1018 scrap to see how it did. End result was it drilled a hole, nothing special. It took about 5 minutes to drill a 2ish inch deep hole, far far better than the tailstock method, feed pressure never felt like i was putting too much force on the carriage handwheel, and retracting fully to clear the chips was an absolute breeze. Nothing dramatic happened, which is exactly what i was hoping would happen, i just got a nice, clean, centered hole.

Just for giggles i did try engaging the leadscrew to drill under power feed. Not the best idea, maybe on a bigger lathe but this thing just doesnt have the beans. Ive got it set for about a .005in/rev feed rate, a touch faster than the .001 per 1/16" of drill recommendation, and the lathe just couldnt do it. I get the feeling that if i were to change the feed back to the .002 per rev i usually keep it at i could use the power feed to drill, but im not sweating not being able to. Works fine as is, i see no need to mess with it

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
        As far as how it works, pretty well. Got the setup done and took a 1/4ish drill (may have been a #7) to some 1018 scrap to see how it did. End result was it drilled a hole, nothing special. It took about 5 minutes to drill a 2ish inch deep hole, far far better than the tailstock method, feed pressure never felt like i was putting too much force on the carriage handwheel, and retracting fully to clear the chips was an absolute breeze. Nothing dramatic happened, which is exactly what i was hoping would happen, i just got a nice, clean, centered hole.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Well that sounds like yet another thing to add to my must-get-around-to-it queue! Now where did I put that spare chuck?!

Comment

I use a Jacobs taper to straight shank and put it in one of my boring bar holders.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
              I use a Jacobs taper to straight shank and put it in one of my boring bar holders.
              Speaking of that brings up another cheeky point i meant to add, now i have an emergency holder for boring bars

Comment

sweet, I thought you'd like it! One thing that I think would improve mine is if I made a cross slide lock. There's a bit of slop in my cross slide nut, so being able to lock the cross slide would stop that from being an issue. I have found some holes were drilled a bit oversize using the tool post chuck eg. when drilling one size under to ream, the reamer ended up not cutting anything.

Comment

Simple fast easy cheap method. .
                  Mount a aluminum block in your 4 way or quickchange, seat parallel to the ways.
                  Or remove toolpost and insert large block aluminum drilled to fit toolpost bolt and clamp..

Now drill and ream a 1 inch hole in the block. Block should be around 3 inches long and have 1/2 meat or more above reamed 1 inch hole. Now get a turret lathe socket, 1 inch od, M2 inside.
                  Drill and tap 2 clamping holes av0bove the 1 inch bore, to bind and hold the sleeve when inserted in block.
                  Now you are ready to drill, used an M2 shank drill chuck or M2 drill bits.

Comment

7--sounds like serious misalignment issues.
                    12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                    Index "Super 55" mill
                    18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                    7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                    24" State disc sander

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                      That's because alignment is a breeze with the offset Alloris Chuck as shown. ( not sure of imposters to Aloris)- there is a center hole dead nuts in the back !
                      The centered hole can also be used if you want the tailstock to assist the cross-slide with a heavy cut by using the tailstock hand feed

You run the tool-post up against the Lathe Chuck to assure the Tool-post is square, Then drop in the Aloris Holder and as you
                      move the cross-slide to the Lathe's center line, you bring up the tailstock with a center in it and introduce it into the centering hole.
                      The hole can be used for both height and Y location. Setting the Height ( which never changes !) is a piece of cake . Put a dowel pin in the drill chuck and bring it up to the Lathe chuck and clamp on the pin with a good 3 jaw and lock down the holders height screw for a permanent setting.

One big advantage of the drill chuck holder is for micro boring . You can easily put a micro boring bar in the drill chuck, rather then mess around with shims or spacers in a standard holder......and you know is is on center automatically.
                      I use mine up to about 5/8 in drill size for metals and larger in plastics in my 10 inch lathe.
                      When larger, I bore usually or use a larger lathe.

Rich
                      I had a decent drill Press, 1 hp Baldor.
                      But my 7.5 hp lathe with power feed drilling us much faster..

Comment

Working...
                      X