X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darryl
    • Jan 2003

parting off tip

Made a few thick washers, or thin wheels, however you want to look at it. I usually try to stop just short of complete cutoff, so the part doesn't go flying away somewhere. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I happened to grab a piese of rod about a foot long, chucked it in the tailstock, and put the end in the bored hole on the piece I was working on. As I cut the parts off, they stayed on the rod, where I collected them until all were parted off. I used a rod long enough to leave the carriage room to move. Just about anything would do, and if the rod is smaller than the bored or drilled hole it's inserted into in the work, the freshly cut end can be faced without the rod interfering with the toolbit.

Too late for the tipbook, but worth mentioning anyway.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-
  • Carl
    • Apr 2003

I've seen it done by running a piece of wire through the spindle and work and connecting the end of the wire to the tailstock. The wire catches the washers as they are parted off.
    THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

• Forrest Addy
      • Oct 2002

I used to catch stuff like that on whatever's handy. usually a screw driver.

Comment

• Michael Az
        • Dec 2002

I usualy use an allen wrench with the short leg pointing up to catch the cutoff.
        Michael

Comment

• Ian B
          • Dec 2002

For bits that don't have an obliging hole through them, a short length of pipe does the same job. I first saw this on a cam automatic lathe in college, many years ago.

Ian
          All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

• tonydacrow
            • Jun 2002

Good tips, guys!

Comment

• spkrman15
              • Sep 2001

Yeah that is a good tip

Thanks
              Rob