Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting recommendations for mig welding 1/16 aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
    Haha, nope. I can actually show you what that looks like, trust me this is pretty by comparison! I tried a test and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working at all, till I realized I had turned off the gas. Pure argon btw.
    Is the area I circled in red from a previous test where you didn't have gas flow? That's what I would expect to see and it looked like maybe you cleaned up the other areas.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
      Is the area I circled in red from a previous test where you didn't have gas flow? That's what I would expect to see and it looked like maybe you cleaned up the other areas.
      No, that's just where I didn't even bother to weld, and the wire brush just passed over when I was cleaning it up. That same spot is on the left in the other pic. I was basically making big tacks on 4 sides rather than truly trying to get a continuous weld, I figure I had connection to both pieces on north of 60%. I though the odds of my burning through or other screwups would go up exponentially if I tried to do more. No gas was trash.

Comment

Any chance to make a bushing for the end of the tubing? Then you could hide the junction weld inside the bushing, and then weld the bushing to the plate which will be technically easier.
        Mike
        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

I'd be glad to try to help you out. I have a TIG welder and I have joined quite a bit of aluminum, but I have never used it to earn a living and I am no Jody Collier.

I am located about 45 miles west of you, 10 miles off of Rt. 78.

Comment

One suggestion for you:- forget the stainless wire brush. Use some clean Scotchbrite for the cleaning (steal it from the kitchen if neccessary). It gives a more thorough coverage.
            Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

No, that's just where I didn't even bother to weld, and the wire brush just passed over when I was cleaning it up. That same spot is on the left in the other pic. I was basically making big tacks on 4 sides rather than truly trying to get a continuous weld, I figure I had connection to both pieces on north of 60%. I though the odds of my burning through or other screwups would go up exponentially if I tried to do more. No gas was trash.
              I think 3pl is reacting to what looks like black smut that is like what you get with too little or no gas. I saw it too, but it could be the lighting.
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                I think 3pl is reacting to what looks like black smut that is like what you get with too little or no gas. I saw it too, but it could be the lighting.
                Well, there was gas. Was there enough? Dunno. Is there a flow meter setting you would recommend? I don't recall exactly what it was set for.

Comment

Well, there was gas. Was there enough? Dunno. Is there a flow meter setting you would recommend? I don't recall exactly what it was set for.
                  Here is a chart which gives you a general idea of the flow ranges for MIG.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                    Here is a chart which gives you a general idea of the flow ranges for MIG.
                    Well, I was in that range, but I think part of my traditional problem with this gun is it's crappy gas valve linkage, it's easy to be pushing wire with no gas if you don't pull the trigger hard enough. It should be the other way around, gas before wire, no? So I just rigged an external valve using a pneumatic toggle switch I had around from an idea that didn't work out for a hydraulic dampener on a gas spring. Much better results from having the gas flowing before the arc!

Now, here's where I show my ignorance and you guys make fun of me. I usually would strike the arc simultaneously with starting the feed, since I needed gasflow. Just now I tried striking the arc just before feeding, it did a bit of plasma bubble and then seemed to weld nicely as the feed pushed through the plasma. Is this right or wrong? I was finding without that I was not striking an arc dependably and getting a pile of wire on the work. But it seems like asking for a clogged tip.

Comment

Well, I was in that range, but I think part of my traditional problem with this gun is it's crappy gas valve linkage, it's easy to be pushing wire with no gas if you don't pull the trigger hard enough. It should be the other way around, gas before wire, no? So I just rigged an external valve using a pneumatic toggle switch I had around from an idea that didn't work out for a hydraulic dampener on a gas spring. Much better results from having the gas flowing before the arc!

Now, here's where I show my ignorance and you guys make fun of me. I usually would strike the arc simultaneously with starting the feed, since I needed gasflow. Just now I tried striking the arc just before feeding, it did a bit of plasma bubble and then seemed to weld nicely as the feed pushed through the plasma. Is this right or wrong? I was finding without that I was not striking an arc dependably and getting a pile of wire on the work. But it seems like asking for a clogged tip.
                      For MIG, I usually pull the trigger with the gun away from the work and stop when there is ~12" of wire coming out of the gun. Then I cut the wire down close to the nozzle. This basically primes the line and I'm ready to start welding. Maybe that is wasteful but for me, I'd rather start the weld knowing I've purged the line and I've got a nice fresh cut wire ready to start a weld.

Comment

I like to purge the line too, but I turn the feed to zero before holding the trigger for 10 seconds or so. I do the same when TIG welding. I'd rather waste gas on pre flow than time grinding out a bed weld to re do it.

Dan
                        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                          I like to purge the line too, but I turn the feed to zero before holding the trigger for 10 seconds or so. I do the same when TIG welding. I'd rather waste gas on pre flow than time grinding out a bed weld to re do it.

Dan
                          Funny, my kludged in gas toggle switch is actually working fabulously in that regard. I have it zip tied to the gun: flick it on, strike an arc, flick it off when done. Wasting gas is less messy than wasting wire. I'd post more pics but the pic workflow here is SO annoying, having to download from Google Photos, and then upload to Imgur. Why can't we link directly to Google? Some sites I can just paste an image from the clipboard right into the post!

Comment

Working...
                          X