Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who MAKES the best files

I just wont too know what files you use Brett

I think I make extremely high quality .c, .h, and .asm files.

Comment

For basic metal work I wish that Sandvik was still making basic tools of that sort. The ones I'm still using are just now wearing out to where some of the newer cheap stuff is cutting as well as the old Sandvik.

I bought a couple of Jet brand files a while back. Just the fairly fine ones that are one piece with the integrated flat steel handle. They were intended for just casual deburring but they proved to work very nicely. Based on that I'd be quite happy to try a couple of more Jet brand files.

But they still are not as nice as those old Sandvik files......

I understand that Nicholson has cheap consumer grade stuff and then better quality stuff. But how does one know, other than by the price, which are the better ones?
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Portuguese manufacturer Tomé Feteira. You can get them at Arc Eurotrade, I think.
        Helder Ferreira
        Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Clickspring does a fine job.

Comment

Vallorbe are the best I've seen or got. Oddly the Oregon chainsaw files I've got are all made by them as well. Don't know if they still are, these haven't worn out over the last 20 years!
            Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

I had good luck with the wavy teeth files.
              My favorite files for cleanup, deburring, adjustments, are warding files.

Comment

And WHERE do you go to get them?
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Pferd makes good files since 1799 in Germany,US Head Office Milwaikie WI.If you ever come across NOS
                  Wiltshire files are very good made in Australia,I stumbled on to bunch and after a lot of use still very sharp.

Comment

Bahco made in spain/portugal ones are decent (ex sandvik, now part of crap-on corporation)

Grobet (swiss) wasn’t mentioned yet, just stay away from USA stamped grobet files , apparently not that good.

Vallorbe is probably your best bet and they have file for every purpose that you didnt even know!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                      https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...-Feteira-Files
                      Helder Ferreira
                      Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                        Since You asked..
                        https://webshop.sar-machine.fi/verkk...gory&id_lang=2

Comment

LOL Tony beat me to the Clickspring reference.

I use Nicholsons for daily beaters but they are definitely not good quality anymore. They're convenient because I can get them locally for only a few dollars. My favorite files are those I've found second hand (some used, some unused). I have most of the usual high quality suspects: Vallorbe, Grobet, Ludell, old U.S. made Nicholson, and they are all wonderful though Grobet are my favorite. I have a very old screw-head slotting file that I don't recall the make, and a set of English made rifflers that I also don't recall the make, I'll edit this post later tonight with the makes of those.

Auctions, estate sales, and yard sales have turned out to be my best sources for good files. At some point I'll want to order something new, either some particular small precision file that I don't have yet or replacements as my old ones finally wear out. I think I'll bite the bullet and go with Grobet.

These are my two favorite files in the shop, that old Nicholson, and the pivot file (a very old Vallorbe):
                          Max
                          http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

I second mars-red on the NOS and old Nicholsons and Grobet. I know I have files that are 30 plus years old and I use them alot. Jim

Comment

I last bought files here: https://www.riogrande.com/category/t...quipment/files They sell Vallorbe and Friedrich Dick. Costly but absolute top quality. Swiss made Grobet are very good as well.

RWO

Comment

Working...
                              X