O.T. Ad in HSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Are tool trades discouraged too, or just for-sale ads? It would be cool to see trade-swap requests.
    Trades or give-away are fine. Lots of sales are fine too, such as helping a widow, etc. Check with me first if in doubt.
    George
    Traverse City, MI

Comment

Well said! This comes up from time to time and the answer always seems to be the same. I suggest that we appreciate this board for what it is and if you want to advertise something for sale, there are many places where you can do that for free. It has been mentioned that the PM board is one of them.

As for classified style ads in the magazines, Village Press or others, I have no doubt that in this day and age of the internet, E-Bay, Craig's List, sites like PM that permit free ads, and so many other possibilities; it is no surprise to me that a classified ad in any magazine that takes a month or more just to get to the first potential customer, is not a big winner. I am sure that the ads that do appear there are effective for many of the companies that place them. But that is a totally different ball game. I can remember when more than 50% of the daily paper and even more of the Sunday paper was classified ads for job openings. Today it is only the odd one or two companies that advertise that way and even then they are probably just trying to keep up with some government regulations. For better or worse, classified ads are on their way out.

I also suggest that we trust George on this one and let him handle it in what he considers a good time, even if it takes a while.

A final suggestion: there could be a small fee for placing an ad here and then another small percentage of the sale price when the item sells - kind of like E-bay but not as greedy. I would bet that Village Press would get more revenue that way than from the classified ads in the magazines. I would bet some of the smaller advertisers in the magazines would go for this kind of ads here.

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
      George knows the details and nuances of the situation a lot better than any of us. He has done a stellar job with the forums and I trust his judgement on this subject. I would like to see sale ads too. On the other hand, I have enjoyed this place for years without them. I think George has a sense of humor, but also has earned our respect and should be treated accordingly.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

On another forum I frequent and a couple of free sale sites people mostly just put stuff up- at premium price and some to see if they can catch the computer illiterate who have never heard of ebay or amazon. There is no time limit so the ad stays up long after it got sold elsewhere so unless someone has time to police it it just becomes another liability.

Comment

The buy/sell section on PM seem to work just fine. Bought a few items there myself.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
            The buy/sell section on PM seem to work just fine. Bought a few items there myself.
            PM also has an army of moderators to remove out of place posts too.

Comment

I would like to say, that I wouldn't take it too hard if something doesn't sell right away in a magazine ad or any other ad for that matter. We are very much in a niche market here, with plenty of alternatives. The answer may be simple persistence.

I buy the magazine on the news stand, and its absolutely the highest quality publication that I read on a regular basis. I buy it because of the forum here. I'll have to subscribe now I guess. I'm sure it costs a bit to put out a high-quality mag for a niche market.

... how do you distinguish yourself above your competitors? When you advertise? My employer (I work metal for a living) has an iron-clad rule about never competing with your own customers... that rule has made him many millions over the last couple decades.

I don't know what the answer is here, but I hope this helps somehow.
              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                I would like to say, that I wouldn't take it too hard if something doesn't sell right away in a magazine ad or any other ad for that matter. We are very much in a niche market here, with plenty of alternatives. The answer may be simple persistence.

I buy the magazine on the news stand, and its absolutely the highest quality publication that I read on a regular basis. I buy it because of the forum here. I'll have to subscribe now I guess. I'm sure it costs a bit to put out a high-quality mag for a niche market.

... how do you distinguish yourself above your competitors? When you advertise? My employer (I work metal for a living) has an iron-clad rule about never competing with your own customers... that rule has made him many millions over the last couple decades.

I don't know what the answer is here, but I hope this helps somehow.

I do not subscribe to the magazine , but would gladly make a donation to keep the website up only Paid members or contributors can place an ad. Sawmill Creek where I am on a lot does the same. The donation is as low as $6 year, I do a bit more.
                Last edited by wmgeorge; 09-10-2018, 09:36 AM.
                Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

been a subscriber to Village Press long before this board was born

I like the printed and also check in here every day
                  George from Conyers Ga.
                  Remember
                  The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                  X