emco v13 question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emco v13 question.

I notice on some emco v13,s on the tailstock side of the carriage there seem to be some wings attached. Does anyone know what these are for?

So it can fly through work?

If I'm thinking what you are... those are just a tail stock stop - to stop it sliding off the table.

Edit : Oh wait... I need to read "ON THE CARRIAGE".

See below
    Last edited by lakeside53; 09-08-2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

It makes a larger base for the carriage, so more sliding contact. Better stability and accuracy.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Its these things.

Last edited by plunger; 09-08-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Swarf guides

Comment

I couldn’t see the image, is it just a thumbnail?
            Mark

Comment

All I see is tiny thumbnail too, but the spare parts manual for a v13 that those triangular things if that's what
              you're referring to are called wiper sheets on the diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by jcfx View Post
                All I see is tiny thumbnail too, but the spare parts manual for a v13 that those triangular things if that's what
                you're referring to are called wiper sheets on the diagram.
                yes thanks thats it.They are called wiper sheets..I wonder if all emcos came with it. Im missing mine.What do they do.

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                  What do they do.
                  They wipe.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

If you make swarf it's always good to wipe.

Comment

Jokes aside they are not big enough to move swarf properly. Or am I missing something.

Comment

They work also as leftover tool interference preventer. If you leave files or other tools to lay on the lathe ways between tailstock and carriage the wings lift your tools up so that you don't end up with two short files when you forget your file between tailstock and carriage

I always thought that they are there to guide the swarf away from way vipers? Maybe to stop tailstock smashing chips under carriage vipers?

Here is a better pic of them:

Comment

Thats a much better picture. Thank you. Is that your lathe?What useful purpose can these have.?

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                            Thats a much better picture. Thank you. Is that your lathe?What useful purpose can these have.?
                            Not mine, found the pic on lathes.co.uk website. My father has Maximat V13 and I can't figure any better explanation for those "wings" than what I gave earlier.

Comment

I can't figure out what purpose they would serve either, MattiJ could be right that they're tool catchers.
                              If it's swarf related all they would do is channel all the swarf into the felt way wipers.

Comment

Working...
                              X