VFD over-voltage error (E 07)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"OK, I disabled the dynamic braking function and...no alarms or errors."

Back to why I usually use "coast to stop". A lot less problems and most machines slow down fast enough in that mode. There are a couple that it would be nice to have dynamic braking, but the price of the resistors keeps me from buying them.
    CPeter
    Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by CPeter View Post
      "OK, I disabled the dynamic braking function and...no alarms or errors."

Back to why I usually use "coast to stop". A lot less problems and most machines slow down fast enough in that mode. There are a couple that it would be nice to have dynamic braking, but the price of the resistors keeps me from buying them.
      CPeter
      Dc injection braking would be cheaper(no need for brake resistors) alternative.
      ( not suited if you need to brake really frequently as it heats up the motor lit more than dynamic braking.)

Comment

I'm thinking I partied too much in my youth.
        No comprehension or retention left at all.
        Should've done a rotary convertor for this one.

No smoke, 3 phase, but I may roll something tonight!

I've pretty much got everything back to default and maybe I'll keep the resistor when it gets here.
        I can't move the default decel setting off 10 seconds without the "Tilt" light going off and that's getting old.
        I guess that's the "DC injection"?

Yeah, it's injecting alright.
        Len

Comment

Do you have a brake resistor?

If not, then enabling dynamic braking will confuse the thing.

If so, is the resistor the recommended value? If not, it may not be very effective if too high resistance. Too low just blows the IGBT.

I am not sure why it would not work with DB set and a proper resistor, unless there is a bad connection, etc. Should "JF work".
          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
            OK, I disabled the dynamic braking function and...no alarms or errors.

Runs and shuts down fine.

I have no problem with the way it's performing now but, is that due to ignorance from inexperience?

Is there some glaring reason I'm missing to have the spindle slam to a halt?
            The best reason is to minimize damage when something is caught in the tool / spindle, etc.

Second best reason is that it's nice when tapping to stop in 2 or 3 revolutions.

Third is that some of us numbskulls get impatient waiting for the tool to stop spinning and reach in to change out or move the part with a spinning endmill just an inch from our dangley parts. Much better to remove that temptation.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              Do you have a brake resistor?

If not, then enabling dynamic braking will confuse the thing.

If so, is the resistor the recommended value? If not, it may not be very effective if too high resistance. Too low just blows the IGBT.

I am not sure why it would not work with DB set and a proper resistor, unless there is a bad connection, etc. Should "JF work".
              Yes...well, should be here by Friday I should say, as spec'd by Hitachi for this model.
              50 ohms, 300 watts, max duty cycle 7.5%.
              Not totally clear on the duty cycle.
              No, wait, yes I am...thinking about 3 things and talking about another!
              Last edited by QSIMDO; 09-11-2018, 11:08 PM.
              Len

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                The best reason is to minimize damage when something is caught in the tool / spindle, etc.

Second best reason is that it's nice when tapping to stop in 2 or 3 revolutions.

Third is that some of us numbskulls get impatient waiting for the tool to stop spinning and reach in to change out or move the part with a spinning endmill just an inch from our dangley parts. Much better to remove that temptation.

Dan
                Agreed on all points!
                Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                  Yes...well, should be here by Friday I should say, as spec'd by Hitachi for this model.
                  50 ohms, 300 watts, max duty cycle 7.5%.
                  Not totally clear on the duty cycle.
                  No, wait, yes I am...thinking about 3 things and talking about another!
                  Ok, leave turned off until installed.

Duty is fine... just means the resistor can handle the power for a short time, not all the time. That's ok, because braking is just for a short time.

If the thing can handle 100W at 10% duty, then it can handle the 100W if it is "on" for say, 3 seconds out of 30. That is also set by a parameter, which sets a duty, or percentage of time "on".

That sort of operation is similar to braking, which happens for a short time every so often. Plus the resistor is only used to deal with excess energy, beyond what the VFD can handle without the resistor.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Thank you, I truly appreciate the help.
                    Len

Comment

Working...
                    X