Home Shop in the Winter vs. Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Shop in the Winter vs. Summer

Last winter I had a blast setting up my new shop but I haven't done anything in my shop at all this summer. Now that summer is quickly winding down, I'm getting excited about getting back into the shop again. Anyone else seem to prefer the shop in the fall/winter vs. spring/summer?

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Last winter I had a blast setting up my new shop but I haven't done anything in my shop at all this summer. Now that summer is quickly winding down, I'm getting excited about getting back into the shop again. Anyone else seem to prefer the shop in the fall/winter vs. spring/summer?
    Usually much the same for me. Too many activities in summer but when winter and darkness settles down its shop-time.

Comment

Yes.. very seasonal for me.

Comment

If there WAS winter here in the tropics, that would be more true for me....

I guess in the rainy season yeah..... Back north where it gets below zero F that would be more of a factor, but I moved south long ago.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
          Usually much the same for me. Too many activities in summer but when winter and darkness settles down its shop-time.
          My shop also kind of feels like summer with excessive 5K lighting. I think I also really like the shop in the winter when I keep the temps around ~65 with heat. I'm definitely looking forward to those winter weekends in the shop. Can't wait!

Comment

My shop has been idle a lot lately. Too many things going on in the summer and spending winters in Arizona has made for a pretty quiet shop. The only time I do much in the shop is if I have to repair something. Not much in the line of projects going on lately.

Brian
            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

My garage is located beneath my bungalow and is somewhat insulated so it tracks the house pretty well. When its mid 30s (90f) outside its about 27 (~80f) in there, and in the winter when its -20c its about 5c in there. Put on the heater for a bit and its not bad with a heavy sweater. Fingers get cold if I'm not working hard.

I bought a Sonoff Wi-Fi controlled switch that I'm going to rig into my rebuilt PID thermostat (gutted the PID for my furnace project so it needs a rebuild now) and that will let me turn on the heater out there from work so its warming up when I get home, usually I only run it to about 12-14c, any more is a waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                If there WAS winter here in the tropics, that would be more true for me....

I guess in the rainy season yeah..... Back north where it gets below zero F that would be more of a factor, but I moved south long ago.
                I love the winter. I wish it actually got colder over here for longer periods of time. I've been wanting to setup an ice-rink on top of our sport court with something like 2x4 edging and a big plastic liner but we don't usually get sub-freezing temps over here extended periods of time so I'm afraid if I tried building a rink, it might freeze for a few days, then thaw out, refreeze, etc. Probably would be a nightmare.

Comment

I am in the shop no matter what the weather is. Of course if its nice outside then having the shop doors and windows open is always nice.

Comment

Winter is better.

Plus's - no yard work except for snow removal so more shop time.
                    no humidity so no rust
                    no summer heat (my shop does stay abnormally cool in summer though)

Minus's - cold, I only have a small electric heater, electricity is exxxppppeennsive here so I can only afford to keep the shop between 50 and 55 F
                    (10 to 12 C) degrees. Some day you just don't want to walk through the cold to the shop.

If you live in a colder snowy local, during winter there is a sense of everything slowing down, most of the time constraints of the things that are done in summer are gone and you can work at a more relaxed pace. Kind of a "Zen and the Art of Machining".

Your situation may vary.
                    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

With me I'm in my shop just about every day. Some of my projects get seasonal priority... meaning if it's anything that needs sanding, grinding, spray painting, hot bluing etc. I try and get them done during the summer months. The other projects get put aside unless I get caught up.....which is usually never.
                      My woodworking projects are saved for the late fall and winter months because my wood shop is in the upstairs part of my shop and it tends to get pretty warm up there in the summer if the sun is out. If I have to do anything up there I try and do it first thing in the morning before it gets too hot up there. The temp. can get as high as 110 deg. on a hot sunny day.

JL...............

Comment

My shop is in an unattached garage, which is unfinished and uninsulated making it unpleasant during the height of summer when the temps soar to above 90F(34C) or winter when it drops to -20F(-30C) and below. Spring and fall is when I try to get the bulk of my work done, but I'll accept most any day when the temperature is anywhere near tolerable. I'd love to finish and insulate, it's on the list of things to do, but it's nowhere near the top of it.

Comment

My shop is half in the hill that the house is on. And it's well insulated. So the shop is actually about 10F cooler than the house during the summer. Same with going downstairs to the wood working basement shop. So at the height of the heat when it was too hot to be outside I actually took refuge in the cooler basement or garage for a few days here and there.

But mostly there's too many other things to do so later fall, winter and early spring when it's so rainy is all about the shops.
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

My shop is well-insulated and well-heated, kept at about 68F year-'round. No A/C, if it gets too hot- a rare occasion here in Alaska - AI just open a door.

I work out there year-'round, so the only thing that's "seasonal" is stuff that's too big to do in the shop, or too messy. The shop's pretty crowded now, so I try to limit the amount of unvacuumed grinding or welding I do in there.

The "to do" list is pretty significant, though, so even if it's cold/rainy/sasquachy outside, there's plenty to do indoors.

Doc.
                            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Your post was timed perfectly with my thoughts this past week and I finally decided that, yes I do need to air condition the shop. As I get older I hate working in the heat and as the common saying goes "it's not the heat it's the humidity".
                              This summer has been one of the worst for humidity and heat is many years. I thought about sizing and have pretty much decided that I will oversize the unit so It can cool down quickly as I don't plan to keep it running all of the time. Even though I will be out there more often because of the air conditioning there will be times that the shop will not be used for days at a time. That brings up the problem of cooling down too quickly to remove enough moisture so as to keep the dew-point low enough to prevent condensation.

I suppose that I will need to run a dehumidifier if I do oversize the air conditioner. My thought is that it will be less cost to run a dehumidifier constantly and then run an oversize air conditioner for 5-6 hours maybe 4 to 5 days a week. Vs running a smaller air conditioner 24/7. I don't know where the break even point would be but I would like to be able to cool down the shop quickly when needed. The reason that I started thinking about oversizing the unit is because of the heating unit that is in the shop now. The heater is oversize and I can warm up the shop from well below freezing to a comfortable temp in less than an hour. I like that if the shop is not used for a few days it can be comfortable in there in a very short time.

The only other decision that I need to make is whether to use a window unit or a split system. I'm pretty sure that the split system is the way to go due to not needing to cut a large hole in the wall and the versatility of mounting the evaporator almost anywhere. The split system is more expensive but I think it will be worth it for many reasons.

Dwight
                              Last edited by dmartin; 09-12-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X