Finishing Up The 1954 Craftsman 8" Bench Grinder Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing Up The 1954 Craftsman 8" Bench Grinder Restoration

This is what I posted a few days ago when I had it set up on my mill with the back fence support and slitting saw.
    It's going to be the new motor shroud or rap for the old Craftsman bench grinder.
    The original one was chrome plated and it was pitted all over and and looked pretty bad. No luck in finding one for this antique so I had to come up with my own idea.
    I found a piece of 22ga. mirror finish stainless, cut it to the proper size and did m own custom pin striping. When done it's going to be pretty hard to tell it from the original part. I just have to come up with a way to roll it.

I used 1/8" fine line masking tape for my stripe work. Then a light pass with some old worn out glass beads that are almost dust.

JL................

A local sheet metal shop should have a slip roll. Probably wouldn't charge you much to roll it.

Comment

I've had a few old Craftsman motors with that style cover on them. That's going to be pretty hard to tell form the original. Very nice work!

Comment

Thanks, I can't tell it from the original either. The only difference is the stainless is no where near as scratch resistant as the original chrome plated wrap.
        Maybe I'll put some of that protective film over it. Maybe a light coat of lacquer or urathane clear would be better.

JL................

Comment

You may want to place some cardboard or something between the roller and your stainless so you don't scratch it up when you roll it.

Comment

I was thinking of covering the good side with 2" masking tape to protect it.

JL.................

Comment

Here is a picture of the grinder.

JL........

I have to make some inner wheel flanges and wire it up and it's done. I even found the original Craftsman pedestal for it.

Comment

Nice. What kind of wheels are you going to use?

metalmagpie

Comment

Your grinder is week sauce compared to "the inviting Slavic godess" the hosting site was advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
                    Nice. What kind of wheels are you going to use?

metalmagpie
                    These are the originals.

I have two new ones in two different grits, can't remember what they are.... it's been a while since I did anything with this project. Time to finish it up.

JL..................

Comment

Working...
                    X