Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
    I agree 100% ..
    another vote. People with lots of videos posted are all of sudden experts. Its comparable to a major issue in academia: As technology makes publishing easier, the more publishers there are. The more publishers, the more get published. With that is reduction in signal to noise and most importantly drastic dilution of gatekeeper function provided by the editor. U tube is the same way, there is zero quality control with self publishing. Not to say none of them are good, but this notion people have that if someone bothered to make a video they must be worth watching is nuts.

To say nothing of the waste of time, what could be conveyed in 30 seconds via 2-3 good stills, a drawing and a paragraph instead is 20 minutes of blabber and crappy background music

humbug I say
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 09-14-2018, 04:41 PM.
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
      How does one pronounce "SQL"?
      I always get a chuckle from people trying to pronounce acronyms as a word. How do you pronounce FBI or CIA?

Comment

From previous posts I think Jib is Queen's English. Perhaps because we all need to know how to order our G&T at the Conservative club, you'd sound a proper fool ordering a g 'nd t.

Generally agree with the Youtube comments, with special approbation for the fat belly brigade who put 5 minutes of gurgling at the camera at the start. Go on a diet and lose 150 lbs before making a video !
        Also agree with Yondering above.

Comment

It's definitely Gib like girl or gonad. Any other pronunciation is simply incorrect. Unless it's not[emoji16].
          I must say that nearly all the machining /machinist video producers I watch are great. Abom and Keith Fenner are a pure pleasure to watch. Then you have that Chuckie dude. He makes a good example of someone that shouldn't be making videos BUT his ego is so great that, despite all the people that comment with VERY negative replies, he continues on. That being said, he is still light years better than the ones I'm talking about. These types are so into themselves that they can't stand the thought of keeping their brilliance from the interweb public. Sickening.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Yondering View Post
            I always get a chuckle from people trying to pronounce acronyms as a word. How do you pronounce FBI or CIA?
            We enunciate acronyms all the time where I work at - most of them, anyway. I remember one ~20 years ago that was named UTRS. Everyone called it "uterus." Wasn't long after the program manager changed its name to something else.

Comment

An acronym is a word, of sorts, it's a pronounceable abreviation.
              FBI and CIA are abreviations, but not acronyms. FEMA, on the other hand, is an abreviation and also an acronym.
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
                It's definitely Gib like girl or gonad. Any other pronunciation is simply incorrect.
                Both Merriam Webster and Oxford English Dictionary definitely disagree with that
                Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

For me it's always been a hard G as in Girl, BUT I've always been aware of the alternative pronunciation, so what, there is room for both!

When I was educated we were taught to say 'neither' as 'nigh-the' and that the form 'knee-the' was a sign of a poor education. I still say 'nigh-the' and always will, but not many others do these days !

Comment

Enowg already. Enowg!
                    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                    X