Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT.. sorta', is my driving being monitored..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT.. sorta', is my driving being monitored..?

This got me to thinking.....my new Toyota has the screen monitoring my current mpg, and range before needing gas, etc (the same screen that displays the backup camera view). While it doesn't keep track, at least on the screen, of my speed it may use that piece of data to calculate mpg. I'm wondering if the screen data, and speed, is being saved. So, if I was making a habit of driving where possible at 100 or more mph and my car had a mechanical problem my warranty might be invalidated. Or, maybe I got into an accident and witnesses claimed excess speed on my part caused the accident. I know past mpg data can be displayed on the screen, not sure how far back though.

Originally posted by DR View Post
    This got me to thinking.....my new Toyota has the screen monitoring my current mpg, and range before needing gas, etc (the same screen that displays the backup camera view). While it doesn't keep track, at least on the screen, of my speed it may use that piece of data to calculate mpg. I'm wondering if the screen data, and speed, is being saved. So, if I was making a habit of driving where possible at 100 or more mph and my car had a mechanical problem my warranty might be invalidated. Or, maybe I got into an accident and witnesses claimed excess speed on my part caused the accident. I know past mpg data can be displayed on the screen, not sure how far back though.
    Depends on the age of your car:
    https://www.edmunds.com/car-technolo...rash-data.html

Comment

and they laughed at me because I wear a tinfoil hat... Don't most cars in the last 5 or so years have an onboard "black box" that retrievable driving info can be gathered from? I seem to remember people being upset when they found out, but like most things, it disappeared from the news and they forgot. Jim

Comment

Paranoia strikes deep. Into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid. Step out of line the men come and take you away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Resistance is futile.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I bought a used (2009) Toyota a few years ago and began to notice something that seemed a little creepy. I planned on doing my own oil changes and got the filter adapter. The recommended interval is 5000 miles and a light shows up on the dash when it's time to change. And the manual tells you the procedure for resetting the indicator to start counting the next 5000 miles. However I found that no matter the time interval between changes, which could vary considerably, when it was just about due, I'd get an email from the local dealership promoting their oil change services. How did they know?
            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Big Brother is watching.

Comment

Airbag deployment triggers a save of operating conditions prior to.
                Guy lost a court case several years ago when prosecutor produced log showing he was driving about 70mph in a 35mph zone when he was involved in an accident.

I do aftermarket tuning on GM, Ford and Mopar controllers. You would be amazed what the systems on new vehicles do -and what can be done to them.

Comment

I'm a private pilot. By the year 2020 all aircraft are required to have equipment known as ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast) if you fly in certain categories of airspace (most aircraft). The justification is safety. To prevent mid air collisions. When was the last time you heard of that happening? This equipment costs thousands of dollars $$$$$. Get this, once it's installed in your aircraft it's illegal to fly with it turned off. When you fly your path, speed and altitude is recorded along with the tail number of the aircraft. Then anybody in the world can access that information for free. In real time if you fly over somebody's house they can zoom in on a map and see who just flew over. I think we're the test guinea pigs to see if they can get away with it. Soon it will be every car and bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
                    Paranoia strikes deep. Into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid. Step out of line the men come and take you away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                    Here's the whole song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp5JCrSXkJY
                    Great music for 1967. I was a senior in high school that year wondering if I was going to Viet Nam.

Comment

If you have wifi or built in cellular, or are linked to your phone using a factory ap most certainly. Not all vehicles have active communications. Pretty sure all new vehicles have built in black box functions though.
                      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

My 62 nova is always snitching on me. It sets off the yuppies car alarms when I drive by JR

Comment

My wife has a 2018 Buick Enclave and Buick has an app for your phone---one day while bored waiting on a oil change on my truck I logged into the app and it told me a lot of info---such as last week, number of hard stops, fast starts, excessive and speed and so on.
                          Kind of scary if you think about it too much.

Comment

Geez, it seems my worst fears are true, "they" know all about my driving habits in my new Toyota.

Something odd that's happened a couple times, like the other day when I had to hit the brakes to avoid a car pulling out in front of me. I managed to miss him and after I passed by in my usual fashion with a loud voice I told him what I thought of his mother (of course, he doesn't hear any of this because I'm down the road). Then my car starts asking me if everything is all right and do I need aid. Not sure if it was my hard braking or my yelling that woke up the lady under the hood?

Comment

Hi,

Yep, your car logs a lot of data, and with bluetooth, much of it is available in real time too, up to remote control of your car as you drive it. It has been demonstrated that Jeeps can be hacked in real time to control engine and braking functions remotely.

It was interestingly shocking when I took my 2015 Jeep Patriot in for it's first service and the Chrysler mechanic asked me why I had not turned on the radio after 4 months of ownership.
                              If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X