No announcement yet.

What Do You Indicate Off Of When Tramming Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use an old bearing (cheap/free) outer race, ground all over, since it allows me to cross over the gaps in the bed. It could be placed on blocks to elevate it up above a mill like the fixture in the pictures.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

A perfect tram is when the spindle is perpedicular to the X & Y axis ways, not the vise or the table. If you are trammed perfectly to the ways the edge on a cutter will touch perfectly on the leading and trailing edges of a cut. Then you can take trim cut on your softjaws or a sacrifical plate to get the flatest possible support for your part. Of course if the ways are shaped like a banana as on my old Bridgeport then flat won’t be flat.

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
        A perfect tram is when the spindle is perpedicular to the X & Y axis ways, not the vise or the table. If you are trammed perfectly to the ways the edge on a cutter will touch perfectly on the leading and trailing edges of a cut. Then you can take trim cut on your softjaws or a sacrifical plate to get the flatest possible support for your part. Of course if the ways are shaped like a banana as on my old Bridgeport then flat won’t be flat.
        How do you tram to the ways?
        Mike
        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Working...
        X