Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5C X ER32 tooling?

Looking at the options "on-line" ,

There are a couple of different versions, all nearly the same price after shipping (unless you buy from Amazon or McMaster Carr)

Has anyone seen any difference?

There are times when the odball diameter just doesn't fall in the range of my "by 32ndths" 5C set.

I've got an ER 40 setup on one of the other lathes, but the Wade is just so nice for the little stuff.

I needed a "sleeve" recently. .303 " OD by .282 ID. .760 long, in "good steel". It got done, But an ER set up would have been nice

I have er32 collets for my lathes and my mill too. One is mounted on an MT3 arbor. One is on an R8 arbor and one mounts like a plainback chuck.

I've barely used the one for my mill since my R8 collets fit all the common tool sizes.

I don't see a lot of difference between the MT3 ER32 on either lathe. Both lathes can use it. Like any MT tool, the taper in the spindle determines how accurate the tools are that use it. It's secured with a drawbar, so the length of work is determined by the depth of the cavity behind the chuck ( a few inches).

My other ER32 chuck mounts to the smaller lathe (7x12) spindle flange like a plainback chuck. It's accuracy depends on how well it mates to the register on the flange. It's pretty exact on mine. I like that it is open in the back so that I can extend 3/4 rods all the way through the headstock.

I use the 5C collet blocks as 4 and 6 position indexers. They work pretty well that way without having to mount the spin indexer to the table. I've made a hex ER32 collet block to use occasionally, but have seldom needed it.
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I use a Mt3 to er32 chuck on both my lathe and mill. Personally, i wouldnt want to be without it, its just too convenient. On the mill the wide range of collet sizes makes holding whatever a breeze, same with tool changes. The lathe is where it really shines, in my opinion. Only a little slower than a 3-jaw, in my opinion, but with better accuracy. The collet compression range is handy there too, my set goes from 1/8 to 7/8 (i think) in 1/32 steps, and er-32 collets are good for 1/32" worth of compression, so i can hold pretty much everything in that size range just by swapping the collet.

I got mine from Little Machine Shop, and ive been pretty satisfied with it. Been a while since i measure it but i want to say that its somewhere in the .001-.0015 runout range, though i think a lot of that is from the lathe spindle i tested it in. Cant imagine getting one thats outright a dud. Personally, i like the taper style over the faceplate style, just because it sees like joining at the taped gives more repeatability and accuracy than the spindle flange does, but i could be wrong about that

Comment

There is lots overlap and times it won't make a difference and many will argue that point strenuously (with some legitimacy), but to state it simply, if you have a choice, 5C would be preferred for work holding and keep the ER's for tool holding.

Edit: which probably doesn't mean much to you given you say you already have the 5C's....so what's the question, should you get the ER's as well?
        Last edited by Mcgyver; 09-15-2018, 07:26 AM.
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I've got various er32 holders for my mills/lathe tailstock, but my angle block and spindex are 5c, but for them I have a 5c->er32 adapter, which puts a extra element into the holding element, but opens up massively the range of what I can fit in there without making specials. By preference I buy er32, but if its cheap or free, I'll quite happily pick up 5c tooling also.
          All I need now is to find a way to use the bernard multisize collets everywhere the er32's are too small and I'm good

Comment

I got 2 5C shank x ER32 collet holders from ArcEurotrade. They were reasonably priced and plenty accurate. I use them fairly often in the lathe and many 5C collet fixtures for the mill and surface grinder.
            Kansas City area

Comment

I'd say that both have their place.

ER collets are good for longer pieces which will stick out more. But if you're trying to hold a short stub of some part for a secondary operation then the 5C or R8's become the method of choice. Or you have to make up a matching size rear packing disc to balance the compression of the ER collets to hold a short stub on some work piece. So while I'm working towards some ER options with a set of ER32 for smaller items and perhaps an ER50 chuck and some selected larger sizes I'll still use the 5C collets where they are more suitable.

I would suggest that hot rolled rough steel is not a good thing to hold in any collet, ER or not. The often badly out of round material and the abrasive nature of the scale might well cause problems with the collets. I'd reserve collet use for machined stock, ground stock and cold rolled stock. So there will always be a place for the trusty old 3 jaw chuck IMO.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                There is lots overlap and times it won't make a difference and many will argue that point strenuously (with some legitimacy), but to state it simply, if you have a choice, 5C would be preferred for work holding and keep the ER's for tool holding.

Edit: which probably doesn't mean much to you given you say you already have the 5C's....so what's the question, should you get the ER's as well?
                The question restated: With several options for "style and vendors, Is there one particular "brand" that is better than the others? Conversely, are there some to stay clear of?

Comment

but to state it simply, if you have a choice, 5C would be preferred for work holding and keep the ER's for tool holding.
                  That is pretty much my understanding also.

But my hardinge uses 5c for tool holding as does my tool and cutter grinder.

And I never chuck up work in my ER or other collets. JR
                  My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Why limit it that way? And if we look at it that way I'd suggest it might be better the other way around. 5C and R8 giving the best hold when right on size... .such as with tooling. And ER collets being more forgiving of sizes that vary slightly from the nominal size of the collet yet still grip well. So it seems like it should be the other way around for work holding vs part holding. At least unless one makes their work piece dead on size. In which case 5C would be just fine.
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post
                      The question restated: With several options for "style and vendors, Is there one particular "brand" that is better than the others? Conversely, are there some to stay clear of?
                      Brand..? AFAIK, mostly only the off shore folks offer ER setups for work holding. I suppose then you're up against the usual crap shoot of quality/accuracy. Maybe ask sellers to offer some guarantee of accuracy with a no-questions-asked return policy if the product fails to meet their specs.

I always figured main line American companies mostly don't promote ER work holding setups because the collets don't lend themselves to quick lever type opening/closing like required in production.

Comment

I have a Chinese 5Cshank ER32 collet chuck. I don't remember the source. I use it in my small indexer, spin-index, and grinder work heads for those oddball sizes that don't fit my 5C's in 1/16 increments.

Comment

Originally posted by Illinoyance View Post
                          I have a Chinese 5Cshank ER32 collet chuck. I don't remember the source. I use it in my small indexer, spin-index, and grinder work heads for those oddball sizes that don't fit my 5C's in 1/16 increments.
                          Yup. Here is my ER-32 collet, 5C shank holder. Chinese of course but really nice quality. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I’m thinking I need one of those. Thx!

Comment

Working...
                            X