Remember When...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember When...........

A small bottle of upholstery tacks, square nuts and screws cost 10 cents, and you could buy a small 7 ft. roll of solder??

When paint and stain came in half pints, 1/4 pints and some even smaller??

JL.................

Yes, I do remember. And I very much miss 'em. I'm told it's progress.....

Pete
    1973 SB 10K .
    BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Yep..... And all of it was made in USA (or whatever home country is). Now you can't, and tacks, bolts and screws are all made offshore.

OTOH, the 10 cents was really about a buck in equivalent buying power.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        Yep..... And all of it was made in USA (or whatever home country is). Now you can't, and tacks, bolts and screws are all made offshore.

OTOH, the 10 cents was really about a buck in equivalent buying power.
        My first machining job in 1964, was running a turret lathe for $2.05 per hour. Of course, that kind of money would buy two 1 inch thick T bone steaks at the meat market. I looked at a package of 3 steaks the other day that were a few cents short of $40.
        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
          My first machining job in 1964, was running a turret lathe for $2.05 per hour. Of course, that kind of money would buy two 1 inch thick T bone steaks at the meat market. I looked at a package of 3 steaks the other day that were a few cents short of $40.
          they had steaks back then?
          san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Back when even "cheap" tools were good?My first electric drill was a B&D 1/4" drill,the ones with the pea soup green case.Cost $8.88 at the local TG&Y.34 years later I still have it and it still works.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by gambler View Post
              they had steaks back then?
              Ribs too.

Comment

hahaha yah yum huh
                san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                  Back when even "cheap" tools were good?My first electric drill was a B&D 1/4" drill,the ones with the pea soup green case.Cost $8.88 at the local TG&Y.34 years later I still have it and it still works.
                  I'm still using a 45 years old 3/8" B&D drill.

Comment

Had one oof those also. And the prior V/S metal cased one with gray plastic handle.

The pea soup green one was really high speed / small capacity (1/4"), and IIRC it was disposed of years ago. I still have the metal cased one, also a 1/4" shank.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

I remember TG&Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Somehow this song seems appropriate for this thread.

Comment

Seeing the picture of the Earls reminds me when people dressed to go to church, take the wife out, or even travel. Now many "normal" folks look like the homeless. Yeah, I'm an old dude!
                          "

Comment

I remember coffee being 5 cents a cup- and my dad reluctantly raising the price from 10 cents to 12 cents when the cost of coffee beans went up yet again. A glass of beer was 50 cents, a burger 33 cents, fries were about 20 cents.

In another part of the world, a gourmet chicken sandwich was 25 cents, a good wage was 128 dollars a month. Coinage was such that a nickel had to be divided in half so that proper change could be made. I saw a relatively huge and stunningly beautiful emerald that could have been had for $300. One of the best things you could buy was ice cream bars and popsicle-like sticks. The best was banana-milk-ice, which was 6 cents. Most of that stuff was 4 cents.

I remember fuel being sold for 45 cents a gallon. A drink, chips, and a movie went from 25 cents to 35 cents around '60 or so. The 74 was the big Harley, and its little brother was the 45.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

In the '60s, I remember when Gino's and McDonald's hamburgers were about 12 cents and fries were 7 cents. My first job (1965?) paid $1.25/hr as a draftsman/illustrator. In 1970 I drove cross-country with four other people, and IIRC the cheapest gas was about 29 cents/gallon in Fargo, ND, and highest was about 60 cents, maybe in CA. My parents bought a 3 BR townhouse in Towson in 1963 for about $11,000, and I sold it in 2005 for $220,000. My first apartment was about $130/mo in 1973, and rent went up every year to $140, $150, $165, and finally $177. I bought my first house, a duplex on 1 acre, in 1977, for $17,500, paying an owner-financed mortgage at $158/mo, and my tenants paid me $25/week plus they mowed the lawn. I think I was earning about $5/hour at that time as an electronics technician.
                              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                              X