3 HP Frequency Drive Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 HP Frequency Drive Choice

So, I'm ready to put power to my Enco mill project (another thread somewhere on here). I'm looking to run a 3 HP motor. I've seen that some of you have been successfully using Teco drives, and I've found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Teco-Variable.../dp/B01IFEOVSE

I have also found this Lapond drive. I am not familiar at all with this outfit, but for a hellufalot less, I can up the HP rating for a little bit of a cushion.

https://www.amazon.com/LAPOND-Invert...3N8MR2E6W&th=1

Both of these things are from across the pond. Since I'm not made of money, I'd like to lean toward the Lapond drive. For the same bucks as the Teco I could throw in a remote keypad and braking resistor. The reviews have been predominately positive on both units, but I am not a drive expert by any means. Although an electrician by trade, I gravitated to medium to high voltage maintenance and installation.

Opinions for (reliable) power to my mill motor.

I bought a 3hp single phase input TECO drive, the previous model, and it has worked flawlessly for me for several years now. I don't have a single bad thing to say about it.

metalmagpie

Comment

Originally posted by garagemark View Post
      I have also found this Lapond drive. I am not familiar at all with this outfit, but for a hellufalot less, I can up the HP rating for a little bit of a cushion.
      Hopefully there is much more useful manuals than those posted in the link, one of the main criteria to look at is Manuf. support.
      Max.

Comment

The Lapond may be a version of the "Huanyang" inverter.

Those have a less than great reputation, and for the smallish difference in cost, you would be better off to go with the TECO.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

I am in the same boat as Garagemark except i’m not an electrician and I have a 2 hp 3 phase motor for my mill. I am trying to choose between a Teco and a WEG unit but can’t decide. Both are within $50 of each other which isn’t a deal breaker for me on either one. I have toyed with the idea of the Hunyang and similar units that are a lot less $ but don’t want a hassle.
          So I am looking for advice from those more savvy than me as to the best choice. Both can be sourced locally.
          Thanks!

Comment

WEG is an excellent product and the support is outstanding, at least what I have found.
            Max.

Comment

Check prices here first. They also have New Old Stock. https://dealerselectric.com/230V-single-phase-input.asp

Comment

I've found that when using 3 phase your LOCKED into using a VFD. EVENTUALLY it'll quit working and then the job stops. If you've ordered from overseas and will do it again then your down for maybe a month.... Get two, one for a spare and switch them out each year and then the one sitting won't go bad. Capacitors go bad when they sit for along time not energized.

Comment

For machinery I use both Hitachi and Teco. Both are good choices. The Hitachi WJ200 series is superb. No failures ever... I also spec other VFD for work... big pumps on critical hvac chillers and fans. Never a failure even in roof-top (brutal conditions) deployment, some are over 10 years and still going strong.

Buy quality and they will last.... but they are rarely the cheapest versions.
                  Last edited by lakeside53; 09-29-2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

In my own experience, home shops can get away with knock offs. Unlike the big names like TECO which have a history of producing good drives and good support, with knock offs you can only evaluate the reviews of the current model. It does not appear to be a Huanyang knock off. I have one of those and it does not seem to share shape, controls or specs.

The LAPOND currently has some good feedback and might well be worth the risk. If it breaks you can always buy a new one.

Dan
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by ahidley View Post
                      I've found that when using 3 phase your LOCKED into using a VFD. EVENTUALLY it'll quit working and then the job stops. If you've ordered from overseas and will do it again then your down for maybe a month.... Get two, one for a spare and switch them out each year and then the one sitting won't go bad. Capacitors go bad when they sit for along time not energized.
                      I woudn't lose my sleep over the VFD. If you need the replacement can be found in couple of hours or days.
                      Besideds EVENTUALLY everything fails.. and I still see some 30 years old VFD's in use that could be considered prehistoric in VFD technology.

Comment

Me? I wouldn't buy junk when you can buy brand name 3HP VFD for about $200
                        Mike
                        Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                          ..... It does not appear to be a Huanyang knock off. I have one of those and it does not seem to share shape, controls or specs.

It may not be one.

But OEM versions for other sellers can be different in details. It does share some things like control layout with current Huanyang, and some portions of the case, with the older style Huanyang. (the differences in button position can be just elementary programming changes).

Huanyang is in fact sold under different names, sometimes in the exact same case with a different name, but in other cases with a modified case.

For the exact same case, here is a branded Huanyang of the newer style
                          https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Freq.../dp/B0775F4G47

And here is a "Vevor", if you can tell the difference
                          https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZAJI7C...1-9de2ab35cc33

And "Mophorn".... this does not have the rotary control, but otherwise it is same.
                          https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M24NWH4...1-9de2ab35cc33

I have seen other units which looked the same with some modification to the case, some of which were stated to be made by Huanyang.

Here is a Huanyang with the offset keypad similar to LaPond. OEMs will make modifications for customers who buy enough, and "enough" may not be that many.
                          https://www.google.com/search?q=huan...ztbEmno6GNUoM:

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                            For machinery I use both Hitachi and Teco. Both are good choices. The Hitachi WJ200 series is superb. No failures ever... I also spec other VFD for work... big pumps on critical hvac chillers and fans. Never a failure even in roof-top (brutal conditions) deployment, some are over 10 years and still going strong.

Buy quality and they will last.... but they are rarely the cheapest versions.
                            I also have both Teco and Hitachi and a Mitsubishi , The Teco is good, but the WJ200 is a killer (superb) and the Mit never quits !
                            Rich
                            Green Bay, WI

Comment

I have bought two Teco and 2 WJ200 in my time.

My first Teco worked marvelous. The second made my motor jump around on the bench (where the older Teco made it run smooth as silk). Four hours on the phone with the Teco representative ended up with me returning it... and getting stiffed the price of postage... both ways. O-scope outputs clearly showed the drive was defective.

The replacement WJ200 (from a different retailer) made that motor run smooth as silk.

Now it is only WJ200s for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X