Want Solidworks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want Solidworks?

I just discovered an affordable way to have Solidworks without being a student, veteran, or pirating...
    Join the EAA(Experimental Aircraft Association). They give you a student like edition that gets renewed each year... I'm doing fine with Fusion360, but I do miss Solidworks.
    Last edited by RB211; 10-03-2018, 05:53 AM.

Here's a link to get $10 off the membership but I can't fine what the membership cost is.

https://join.eaa.org/planecrazywithe...f6b8e2ecfc1637

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
      Here's a link to get $10 off the membership but I can't fine what the membership cost is.

https://join.eaa.org/planecrazywithe...f6b8e2ecfc1637
      I spent 46$ for 1 year for my entire family, just yourself, 36$ with the auto renew option that saves 4$

Comment

Have you played with Solidworks EAA edition enough to see if there's any differences? It doesn't have the always connected mentality that Fusion 360 has, does it?

Comment

Just got home, havent installed it yet, but I have probably 1000 hours using 2010 version, and no, it wasn't connected.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been using the EAA version at home for about a year. I use the commercial version at work 8 hours a day. I don't see a difference other than the watermark on the drawings.

Comment

And I also noticed that the EAA gave me a serial for the CAM, so clearly this is their way of competing with Fusion360.
              I find myself struggling doing a sketch, I've become so used to Fusion that I am wondering why I simply cannot click on a circle or line and add a dimension easily... Something stupid, need to actually do a tutorial to knock the rust off.

Comment

Full version of Solidworks for $36 us$ a year. Only downside is the drawings have a watermark?

Sounds too good to be true. If not the EAA is going to get a new member today.

I've tried to give fusion a chance for home use, but I just don't like it. We've been talking about switching to Solidworks at work for a while now, so this will give me a head start and let me evaluate it a bit more before we take the plunge.

Comment

Originally posted by Punkinhead View Post
                  I've been using the EAA version at home for about a year. I use the commercial version at work 8 hours a day. I don't see a difference other than the watermark on the drawings.
                  Can you look into the file import/export options for me please? Specifically can this version import and export iges/step

Also looks like it doesn't do FEA analysis either? (according to this https://www.solidworks.com/sw/docs/S..._Matrix_LB.pdf)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                    Can you look into the file import/export options for me please? Specifically can this version import and export iges/step

Also looks like it doesn't do FEA analysis either? (according to this https://www.solidworks.com/sw/docs/S..._Matrix_LB.pdf)
                    I am out running errands with the wife, will give it a go when I get home.

Comment

ok, gave it a try. Short answer is yes.
                      Created a part in Solidworks and converted it to iges. Fusion 360 opened it right up. I then went to Grabcad and downloaded a complex iges model. It opened it right up.

Comment

Thanks for looking into it. Sounds promising. If I get some time tomorrow I'll sign up, if not I will next week when I get back. Small price to pay for a lot of program.

Any idea about the FEA stuff? Not that I'd really use it, but it would be neat to play around with it a bit. I havn't done any of that since college, and I'm sure some stuff has changed in the last 15 years...

Comment

Thanks for looking into it. Sounds promising. If I get some time tomorrow I'll sign up, if not I will next week when I get back. Small price to pay for a lot of program.

Any idea about the FEA stuff? Not that I'd really use it, but it would be neat to play around with it a bit. I havn't done any of that since college, and I'm sure some stuff has changed in the last 15 years...
                          Is that the stress modeling? Fluid dynamics? Don't think that's in the student version

Comment

FEA is part of the simulation add-in which doesn't seem to be included in the student edition.

Comment

I have Solidworks but find I'm always re-learning how to do everything since I hardly use it. I thought I'd be using it all the time, but it's kind of like getting exercising equipment in that respect I guess Maybe once I start to actually do stuff in my shop I'll get more use out of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X