Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will bottle jack operate in horizontal position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will bottle jack operate in horizontal position?

I know they won't operate upside down without modification, but will they work in a horizontal position?
    I need to make a puller to remove a hub from a tapered shaft that is horizontal (parallel to the ground) and not easy to shift into a vertical orientation.

Originally posted by alsinaj View Post
    I know they won't operate upside down without modification, but will they work in a horizontal position?
    I need to make a puller to remove a hub from a tapered shaft that is horizontal (parallel to the ground) and not easy to shift into a vertical orientation.
    Yes, Pump assembly must be DOWN!

fluid flow is by gravity.

Comment

yep as long as the pump/handle is on the bottom.

Comment

You might look at a floor jack as the cylinder is already horizontal with the pump oriented correctly.

Comment

Garyhlucas, Interesting idea. How do you calculate the strength of the pump in a floor jack? Most of the floor jacks I see are rated at 2 or 3 tons, but there are linkages involved that might result in the lifting force being less than the raw strength of the pump. The job I have involves a long keyed taper that has lots of surface area and a reputation of being a b*tch to remove even with lots of heat. It hasn't been disassembled for 70 years. I was thinking of using a 30 or 50-ton jack.

Comment

Yep used to have an adapter for the top of bottle jack we used to move the wheels out on farm tractors. Works great as long as the pump is down.

Comment

I have this for a puller and it is impressive for being HF.. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Garyhlucas, Interesting idea. How do you calculate the strength of the pump in a floor jack? Most of the floor jacks I see are rated at 2 or 3 tons, but there are linkages involved that might result in the lifting force being less than the raw strength of the pump. The job I have involves a long keyed taper that has lots of surface area and a reputation of being a b*tch to remove even with lots of heat. It hasn't been disassembled for 70 years. I was thinking of using a 30 or 50-ton jack.
                The cylinder on those always has a lot less travel than the pad that does the lifting. Mind you lifting the first couple of strokes when the arm is almost parallel is a chore. But it's safe to say that the cylinder is probably at least twice what the rating of the jack is. And likely more like 3 times. It all depends on the linkage arm length ratio and how the arcs of travel operate.

Comment

I sold one of my 100 ton enerpac cylinders to a guy that wanted to remove sprockets off a crawler ...track machine.
                  Give tis some thought..
                  I think you should go to a rental shop, see if they have a Enerpac type 50 or 100 ton, for rental.
                  Then build your puller to use that.

Comment

You could use the hydraulic ram out of a trolley jack, they are designed to work in a horizontal position and the home versions are cheap as chips.

Comment

Working...
                    X