whats it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats it worth?

This is the first time I have seen a monarch 10 ee for sale in S Africa. The seller is calling it an old collectors lathe from 1946 . He says its in good working order .Date plate says 1943.
    I have heard so much about these lathes. He wants R49000. Exchange rate is $1 =R14.60.What do you think? It also comes with a taper attachment.

The tailstock looks suspect.It doesnt look original. In my eye that would be a deal breaker as I wouldnt trust the rest of the lathe. Can anyone coinfirm my suspicions.?

Pictures would help.

Comment

Sorry forgot.

Comment

3300 bucks?? Buy it. JR
        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Here it is battling to post pics

Comment

Location is everything for something like that. If this is the first one you've seen in S. Africa, how do you expect those of us who aren't in S. Africa to know what it's worth there? If lathes like that are rare in your area, it may be worth a lot more than other areas, but that depends on a lot of local factors.

Comment

No the tail stock is late Model lathe
              It was one of best tool room lathe.
              If need the right tail stock just keep your eye on EBay.
              It still a very good lathe If lathe was here I would want and then look for tail stock

Dave

Originally posted by plunger View Post
              This is the first time I have seen a monarch 10 ee for sale in S Africa. The seller is calling it an old collectors lathe from 1946 . He says its in good working order .Date plate says 1943.
              I have heard so much about these lathes. He wants R49000. Exchange rate is $1 =R14.60.What do you think? It also comes with a taper attachment.

The tailstock looks suspect.It doesnt look original. In my eye that would be a deal breaker as I wouldnt trust the rest of the lathe. Can anyone coinfirm my suspicions.?

Comment

The carriage hand wheel is also non-original. That tailstock is concerning, but it can be replaced. Maybe someone is using the original to crack nuts?

A quick check for bed wear is to look for grooving or lips on the backside of the front bed Vee way. Sometimes that can be felt with a fingernail or observed with a straight edge and light. The saddle will also wear, causing it to drop in relation to the leadscrew and bed. It will cause the saddle to drag on the flat ways. That can be measured by removing the front left way wiper and then measuring the clearance between the saddle and front flat way with a feeler gauge. .005-.010" is very good. Measures can be taken to compensate for a dragging saddle.

Another bed measurement is to mount a test indicator on the top of the apron, and measure the front flat way. Check the spindle mating surfaces.

The carriage and saddle oiling system tends to clog and that can lead to accelerated wear. The pump is driven by carriage motion.

How does it run? Is the spindle smooth and quiet? Is it a motor generator machine? If it is not running you can unbolt the belt tensioner, remove the main belt(s) and turn the spindle by hand.

Does it have oil in the sight glasses?

The overall color of the machine, especially unpainted surfaces, looks curious to me. Like it is covered with graphite dust. Even the leadscrew. I hope it isn't grinding dust.

The Monarch forum on PM is the epicenter of info. Feel free to PM me if there are any questions I can help with.

I think use.com works better for images. They can be unlimited in size, etc.

Comment

It appears tailstock is switched, as mentioned.
                  That would not be so bad if it lines up and works.

Comment

Have you listened to the lathe run under power? Those machines had a motor/generator system for power. If the lathe is rare in your area, I would suspect parts are quite scarce too. How easy is it to import components, and are you equipped to handle re-powering the spindle motor if need be? Those machines can be like owning an exotic sports car. You have a fantastic example of engineering and craftsmanship, but servicing and maintenance issues can leave you wanting for a more common design.

Comment

I doubt S Africans know the pedigree of a monarch 10 ee unless you an enthusiast. I need to do quite a bit of travelling to inspect this lathe. I will pass on this lathe as its to risky. But I am still looking for a sturdy lathe in a smallish footprint. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                        I doubt S Africans know the pedigree of a monarch 10 ee unless you an enthusiast. I need to do quite a bit of travelling to inspect this lathe. I will pass on this lathe as its to risky. But I am still looking for a sturdy lathe in a smallish footprint. Thanks for the replies.
                        Good move. If that lathe was here in say Los Angeles it would sell for five thousand to refurb. Or five thousand to take apart and sell the pieces. The taper attachment is worth 500 bucks local. JR
                        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

In SA you may have British-made lathes from the gap between WW2 and UDI, possibly later - if so keep an eye open for Holbrook lathes, the Model C is like a 10EE on steroids but also has the same parts issues in some ways, although the electrical system's simple (ish - 3-speed 415v 3-phase motor, but no Unobtainium valves or such).

Dave H. (the other one)
                          Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

I'd buy it just to put in the living room and look at it.

Comment

$1.00 equals 14.6 R then R9000 is around $660. Why aren't you in your truck to go get itis the only question that needs to be asked. If it runs at all it is worth a lot more than that I would think.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X