Rosie the rivlter mystery machine tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeCB View Post
    Yep' "slotter" … but I'm sure that this is just a staged photo. Look close, the gear is not clamped in the three jaw chuck, looks to be just sitting on the top of the jaws. The machine is just too clean to have been in production and finally the gal sure isn't wearing shoes suitable for a machine shop, mighty clean outfit she is wearing as well.

Joe B
    If you look close it appears to have a smaller diameter section in the chuck. I don't know the proper name for that part but its where the set screw(s) would be.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
      If you look close it appears to have a smaller diameter section in the chuck. I don't know the proper name for that part but its where the set screw(s) would be.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
      I think it is called a hub.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by 1-800miner View Post
        Now there are some baggy clothes to get caught in a spindle.
        I agree. She would be entirely better off without them entirely. :-)

Comment

My aunt was a Rosie the Riveter. My mother joined the WAAF and served in the Pacific Theater. She was a typist on MacArthur's staff in the Phillipines in 1941, but she contracted malaria in fall of 1941 and was transferred back to the continental USA before the attack. She lost friends in the resulting horrors in the Phillipines.

As the war progressed the call went out for "Rosies", and I think my aunt was partially moved by my mother's experiences. She worked at Milwaukee Forge in Milwaukee. I think she worked in the inspection and QC department.

She quit working in the production facility after VJ day, but she worked in the office for several years more. She ended up meeting a returning soldier who had become a tool salesman. We used to have some of his samples after he passed away in the 1970's... some nice stuff. I still have a few of those tools in my shop.

My aunt took me to visit Milwaukee Forge in the late 1950's. I was lucky enough to be there when they were forging a huge gear - maybe 5 feet across. I remember the heat that hit my face from a long distance away when they opened the furnace to fish out the gear blank. They laid it in some big huge machine. I didn't know what was coming next - which was a huge scary *BANG* as the huge hammer hit it the first time. I felt it in my feet even though we were far away. There was a spray of sparks with the first hammering. Then it went *bang bang bang* a dozen more times. I remember how hot and noisy it was way back where we were, and there were people right up next to it poking the gear, throwing stuff on it, and doing 'stuff'. I couldn't (and still can't) imagine how they could work so close to all that heat and noise. Finally they seemed to be done and they pulled the now orange hot gear out and laid it on a little rail car that took it away...

Those forging videos on YouTube always take me back to that memory...

Comment

Thanks for all the thoughtful and interesting replies. I am allways amazed at the knowledge that is at our fingertips on this forum. Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

I used to install conveyor belts for a living. We used to go to an auto maker's plant to install a belt on a 3000 ton press. 6 stories high, 3 stories under ground. Held 1500 gallons hydraulic fluid in tanks, don't know how much it took to fill the system. The stroke cam was 8' across and 1' thick. At the guard shack a 1/4 mile away from the press You could feel the strokes in the ground, press was in back of the plant. The take out arms were about 12" square and 40' long. When the press was running You could hear the arms cut the air. A stroke about every 3-4 seconds.
              mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Here is an article with three photos, one is a grinding wheel, one is the mystery machine, and the third shows her walking. The claim is that she was actually a worker, and not a fashion model brought in to play dressup as a worker.

https://www.history.com/news/rosie-t...er-inspiration

Comment

Working...
                X