• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammer forging video

16 satisfying minutes of heavy hammer forging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G60llMJepZI

WHAT DID YOU SAY? bang WHAT?

Comment

I did not notice much in the way of visible ear-protection, perhaps the in-the-ear variety is preferred in that profession. Or not...

Comment

I have a PC tower that needs a staring role in that video.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

A buddy at work in his early days did some time in a large forging shop in Ontario that made forgings for engines and some tool makers. The way he described it was the constant noise made talking impossible unless they yelled into each others' ears. It was pretty much all sign language. And due to all the furnaces and hot metal in the forges it was like a sauna ALL THE TIME even in winter and with all the doors and windows open. In summer they relied on massive fans, lots of drinking water and salt tablets to stay alive.

Over the ears style muffs would have been too hot to wear in such conditions so it was all about ear plugs apparently.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I especially like the tongs!

Comment

Mesmerizing...
              Thank you for the link.
              Mike
              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

There used to be a local sheet metal company with large, loud presses that only hired deaf people to work on the floor. They reasoned nobody's hearing was in jeopardy and they could communicate very well with one another using sign language. Genius thinking, if you ask me...

Comment

Working...
                X