Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hole saw help...

Hey List,

I have some Bahco/Sandflex bimetal hole saws. I need to turn some arbors for the saws as the original arbors are tiny and flex under load. I have a question I hope someone can help me with.

The thread on the 30mm saw (the one used to thread onto the arbor)is approx. 11.2mm dia (using caliber) and the 38mm saw is about 14mm.

Is there a standard thread for these arbors?
    Are these imperial threads? If so, does anybody know what they are?

Thanks in advance for your much needed help.

Best

dmc

Opps -- forget that idea....

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 09-08-2004).]
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Lennox is a good brand to look for. I have a dozen laying around here bought for different jobs. They have two pins to carry the load, not on the threads like other holesaws.

One is on a tubing "jig joiner" that notches or fish mouths tubing to be welded. It has cut over 200 pieces of chrome moly tubing.

BUT then, I am unfamilar with your brand.. it may be just as good.

No, I don't know the threads, Plastic thread cards with mm and inch fingers/thread guages are about $2.00.. I have one hanging over my mill. Sometimes it is worth every penny..

------------------
      David Cofer, Of:
      Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Comment

American companies have been standardized on 5/8" - 18 tpi for hole saws for as long as I can remember.

Comment

I have several homemade arbors for them,I don't use the threads,they are never timed the same,they rely instead on the drive pins either side of the thread,thats why there is soo much slack in the commercial arbors.

What I do is turn a stub pilot to fit snug inside the threaded section.I drill and tap 1/4-20 threads either side and use allen capscrews to both transmit the torque and hold the saw to the mandrel.The setup workds good and I have used it to blank out 4-1/2" holes in 5/8 plate in the b-port with no problems.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
          X