Need mini boring bar recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    If I were going to grind my own I think I'd rather start with a 1/4" round HSS blank and then make up a small square to round split holder to use it in the tool post. Even grinding a 1/4" square HSS blank down to suit would be a LOT of time at the grinder.
    1/8" carbide blank ground to tiny internal grooving tool:
    (have bunch of broken PCB drills, these are nice micrograin carbide)

I also used the same ER collet chuck in toolpost to hold the boring bar

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
      If I were going to grind my own I think I'd rather start with a 1/4" round HSS blank and then make up a small square to round split holder to use it in the tool post. Even grinding a 1/4" square HSS blank down to suit would be a LOT of time at the grinder.
      I have made up such a holder for 1/4" round unsharpened carbide. engraving bits. dual set screws instead of split block however.

There is not much material to remove to sharpen or increase clearance. If I were looking at boring to .25", I might make up the same holder block to fit 3/16" blanks.
      The engraver shanks have good geometry right out of the box, and are not costly.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
        If you want cheap grab a 5/16 square hss blank and start grinding.

If you have bucks to spend these are really good.
        Bokum Tools makes boring bars to fit as small as 1/16 inch entry hole. They have over 2000 sizes.. I think they will have what you need. Hss or micrograin carbide..
        Bokum bars are the finest small bars that I have found. I bought a quantity several years ago(some slightly used, dirt cheap) and love them.

Sarge41

Comment

Sarge I used their recessing tools in a turret lathe top notch tools..
          Matt, your lathe is not covered enough for grinding.
          BcRider, it's not so much work, grind once, use it 50 times.. rough it with a cutoff wheel. Why wait for tool just make it..
          Last edited by 754; 10-11-2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Solid carbide twist drills may be the answer, as they produce a hole with tighter tolerances and finish than hss.

Comment

.....Why wait for tool? just make it..
              Now THAT is a sentiment I fully agree with ! ! ! ! !

And oddly enough it fits with my adapting the end mills to use as boring bars. I had some old dull ended end mills on hand. A few seconds to sharpen and shape the end and I was boring the hole.

If I didn't have the end mills on hand but had a square blank I'd use that too. I totally agree that it's silly to hold up a job for a few days at least when a half hour can result in the tool being done and ready to use.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I have some these in several sizes & depths from Maritool & they're great: https://www.maritool.com/Cutting-Too...duct_info.html
                Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Hint for european members: jurassic tool has solid carbide boring bars at attractive prices
                  https://www.jurassictools.com/store/...ore&phrase=Cxs

Comment

Working...
                  X