Follow up on stuck chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow up on stuck chuck

I got it off. Pure brute strength and ignorance.

I posted earlier about a South Bend 13" I acquired. I was given the tried and true methods as well as some ideas that I never knew of.
    I tried gentle heat. Tried with large hex stock chucked up with an impact wrench. Tried new cuss words.

So, what the hell, I have some other chucks in case I bugger this one. HIT IT!

Spindle in neutral so nothing back there to hurt. Rubber mallet and hit a jaw sideways, rotate to next jaw.
    What a joke.
    Get a bigger hammer. Nothing brutish. lets try a one pounder. Hit, rotate......about a million times.
    Nothing.

Had enough of this crap. Bigger hammer. Two pounder.
    Went to hit it and fumbled. the hammer slipped and lightly tapped the chuck rather than the jaw.
    Damn thing spun right off. Threads clean as can be.

Put a dial indicator to the spindle and pried every axis and the needle don't move.

This was a school lathe that a friend bought at auction and left outside for several years. He asked me to take it.Solid rust.
    I didn't want to tackle such a rebuild and passed on the deal. I went and bought a brand new Grizzly 14x40 instead.

Couple of months later and I drag the rust bucket home to work on at my leisure.

A slightly stuck tail stock, two cans of bp blaster and half a can of kroil. Emery cloth on the ways, some pounding on the chuck and it's working just fine. I dismantled and cleaned the entire thing. I couldn't find a thing wrong with it. It even came with steady, follower. three and four jaw, A 5c collet chuck and a 5c through the spindle collet closer.

I know I don't have room or need for it. But I keep looking at corners of the shop and thinking "If I moved this over there, then cut out that wall...."

“Put a dial indicator to the spindle and pried every axis and the needle don't move.”

There is a procedure for setting the clearance between the spindle and brass bearings of the headstock. Perhaps 0.0005” ? Don’t remember exactly. If you show no movement of the spindle when you put a broomstick or bar of something through the spindle and lift up, you should address this.

Bearing clearance is set by adding or removing shims under the bearing caps. Before you remove the caps you need to remove little screws, which pull on wedge like expanders that are on the spindle side of a split in the bearing shells. If you just pull the bearing caps off (without removing the expander screws) you will damage the bearings somewhat.

There is a ton of information that may interest you at the PM site under Southbend lathes.

Bill

Comment

The 13" we had at an old wokplace had a range from 0.7 thou to 1.5 thou that was allowable. The 0.7 thou was minimum oil clearance. The lift force was to be 50 lb on a rod thru the spindle and sticking out maybe a foot or so.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
      X