Worm wheel lubrication advice sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worm wheel lubrication advice sought

It is an 80 tooth, 10 pitch worm and wheel. it will be in an "open" transmission, which is to say it will be exposed to the motor and mounting structures. The machine, an espresso coffee grinder, will only run about 30 seconds at a time, two or three times a day.

I am considering using no lubrication at all but would prefer not to go this route. In any case it must not sling any lube. So, I am looking for advice.

Originally posted by Horst View Post
    It is an 80 tooth, 10 pitch worm and wheel. it will be in an "open" transmission, which is to say it will be exposed to the motor and mounting structures. The machine, an espresso coffee grinder, will only run about 30 seconds at a time, two or three times a day.

I am considering using no lubrication at all but would prefer not to go this route. In any case it must not sling any lube. So, I am looking for advice.
    Open gear grease unless it has plastic gears.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
      Open gear grease unless it has plastic gears.
      Nope. Bronze wheel and iron worm. Can you source "open gear grease" for me?

Comment

Nope. Bronze wheel and iron worm. Can you source "open gear grease" for me?
        I honestly don't have idea what's available in California. And its probably way too overkill unless the gears are known to wear down quickly.
        Gear greases are bit harder to find than general purpose lithium grease, Mobil Dynagear and CHEVRON OPEN GEAR GREASE are some examples of trade names.

As an more available alternative I would offer water-resistant tacky grease, something like this:
        https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lucas-Oi...0005/202521504

Comment

How about silicone grease? Very tacky, probably food-safe if that matters. In the plumbing section of your hardware store.

-js
          There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Can you mount a felt wick and add some oil can oil?
            "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
              How about silicone grease? Very tacky, probably food-safe if that matters. In the plumbing section of your hardware store.

-js
              And generally really bad metal-to-metal lubricants.

Comment

How about a dry film lubricant? A molybdenum spray dry film should be good for the application, doesn't attract dust or fly off.

https://www.zoro.com/crc-dry-moly-lu...waAkLLEALw_wcB

Mike

Comment

Vasoline petroleum jelly.

--D
                  DZER

Comment

How about some food grade grease? I used some in my last Kitchenaid mixer rebuild and the stuff seemed good.

http://www.super-lube.com/super-lube...1160-p-29.html

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                      And generally really bad metal-to-metal lubricants.
                      Hmmm. Didn't know that. What's the issue with it? (I use it as dielectric grease, to keep water out of connectors. Works well for that.)

-js
                      There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
                        Hmmm. Didn't know that. What's the issue with it? (I use it as dielectric grease, to keep water out of connectors. Works well for that.)

-js
                        I can't remember the exact details but silicone grease performs poorly compared to hydrocarbons on metal-to-metal contact and is generally not recommended lubricant for metal-metal contact.
                        https://acc-silicones.com/applications/lubrication

"These lubricants can be used as the interface between most rubbers and plastics and when metals are in contact with rubber and plastic but should not be used in high load metal-to-metal bearings."

Comment

I worked in a shock absorber factory for 10 years.
                          You could order shocks filled with hydraulic type oils
                          and you could order them with silicone based oils.
                          When shocks came back for a rebuild, the ones filled
                          with silicone oil would be completely trashed, almost
                          all the parts were scored, like they would look if sand
                          and grit were run inside them. The hydraulic type oil
                          filled shocks, when came back for rebuild, looked fine
                          and just got new seals.

--Doozer
                          DZER

Comment

Use a. food grade grease only
                            Dave

Last edited by smithdoor; 10-14-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

As often happens, posting here and seeing the answers inspires me to do more research on my own. Gears and lubrication are a very complex subject but, in my application, a full understanding is probably unnecessary. I did however learn some things.

Certain lubricants are very bad for certain bronzes. “…the sulfur-phosphorous extreme pressure (EP) additives will attack the brass or bronze material.”

Friction (efficiency) is very much a concern since my motor is marginal to begin with. It’s a1/20 hp and I need a minimum of 5 ft.lb. of torque. The worm will turn at 3,600 rpm and the set is 80:1 if anyone wants to check my math.

Technically a food-grade lubricant is required. Since this is in my home and not a commercial kitchen those rules do not apply. I am free to contaminate my own food any way I please. Actually, the driving mechanism will be isolated from the grinding environment.

I am attempting to motorize my HG-1 coffee grinder http://hg-one.com/the-hg-one-grinder/ and will post pictures if it actually works.

Comment

Working...
                              X