Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To much to read here. But about Old Tiffie. He was a strange guy.I think he was older than most people would care to believe. Probably why he never made anything. But I suspect he was actually quite a knowledgeable guy regardless of all his wiki posts. Wasnt he a toolmaker.I dont care how much googling you do but you have to have some knowledge of a subject like machining and engineering and he definitely knew something. I just think he kind of had a mental block to get stuck into his workshop with his brand new machines. Hope he is well.

Comment

• My hobbies include R/C airplanes, Ham Radio, and live steam. Needless to say, I am one of the youngest in the clubs. Having friends grow old and die on me is simply a way of life when the median age is in the 70's. Home shop machining tends towards the older as well. Recently visited my friends at the GGLS, been six years, everyone has aged, and some were already out of it. It's life you know. A big issue is trying to get new people, younger people into the hobbies to ensure survival of the club.

Comment

• Young people in general aren't joiners & many don't want the life of their parents, go to scholl, get a long term job you can retire from, buy the biggest nicest house, etc. They don't want long term comittment & they maybe right, These guys were https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu4U3D5QDZg

Comment

• Originally posted by flylo View Post
          Young people in general aren't joiners & many don't want the life of their parents, go to scholl, get a long term job you can retire from, buy the biggest nicest house, etc. They don't want long term comittment & they maybe right, These guys were https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu4U3D5QDZg
          Whether or not they want a long-term job, they are less likely than their parents to find one, I think. Multiple employers, even multiple professions are the future of many ...

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post
            My hobbies include R/C airplanes, Ham Radio, and live steam. Needless to say, I am one of the youngest in the clubs. Having friends grow old and die on me is simply a way of life when the median age is in the 70's. Home shop machining tends towards the older as well. Recently visited my friends at the GGLS, been six years, everyone has aged, and some were already out of it. It's life you know. A big issue is trying to get new people, younger people into the hobbies to ensure survival of the club.
            This is likely fairly universal, concern over aging and declining numbers although membership in this sort of activity tends to follow with age; house is paid off, kids on there own at least not needing to be run a hockey game and eventually retirement and even more time.

I see a keen interest with the young to make stuff, its just not necessarily steam engines. I'm with you in that my preferred shop activity is steam engines, but my sense is the numbers of us has perhaps predictably tapered off in the decades following the steam era. I think rather than the clubs trying get people into the hobby, the clubs have think about evolving into what the people are interested. GG Live Steamers and other Really Cool Engineered Stuff You Made.

At TSME, which is model engineering not just steam (which is more encompassing) we've had some great presentations of really incredible projects involving robotics, animation, 3D printing and a one on a extremely accurate and electronic tracking Foucault pendulum. I would say the room was very pleased with these presentations despite being miles away from Steam or even model engineering. I'd be happy see it evolve and new and very competent engineering blood coming into it that just don't happen to be into steam.
            Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-21-2018, 07:38 PM.
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

• Originally posted by tlfamm View Post
              Whether or not they want a long-term job, they are less likely than their parents to find one, I think. Multiple employers, even multiple professions are the future of many ...
              Which makes me extremely thankful I chose aviation, being a pilot. One of the few good unionized careers left

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                Which makes me extremely thankful I chose aviation, being a pilot. One of the few good unionized careers left
                Or the railroads, Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                  Can't help but notice that you failed to mention ANYTHING about the leader actually getting the job done. Factual hard numbers, record gains, actual accomplishments ALL are lacking in your description of a "leader". Pretty hard to dispute real results, about the only option is lame attacks like those in AK's post. Record setting accomplishments..... not bad for a "4th grader mentality" !
                  Lack of understanding is what drives the above......

"The Economy" is a slow-to-move "thing". It takes time, often years. Crashes by definition happen fast, recovery happens slowly. After all, there is no such thing as "the economy". It is made up of beliefs, expectations, predictions, and so forth, which have weight according to how many decision-making people believe them, and are willing to act on them. It is also made up of the population as a whole, their beliefs, theiir willingness to spend, to go into debt, etc.

So, the bottom line on "the economy", is that generally the political figure or party who did the most to fix "the economy", or to damage it, for that matter, is not in office by the time the shifts they started have taken effect.

The result is that the "next guy" ends up getting blamed or praised for what happened "on his watch" as a result of the actions of guy before him. This is almost universal in the US for presidents due to the 4 year terms, and the 8 year maximum.

So it becomes easy to find someone to blame, depending on how much reality you are willing to ignore.

Almost nobody really understands the economy. I know I do not. Probably nobody who posts here does, although some have a bit of a clue. Economists may in some cases understand it the least. Sometimes a few economists have a good handle on it. Just look at the 2008 mess. Economists were praising the economy almost until it imploded, excusing oddities, explaining away imbalances, etc.

You are not to blame for not "getting it". Just for thinking that you DO.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                  Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                  Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                  I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                  Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    Almost nobody really understands the economy. I know I do not.
                    Like many subjects.... you do not let that stop you from explaining its intricacies to the mortal men on the site with a "lack of understanding"

Comment

Working...
                    X