What happened to air tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to air tools?

A mechanic posted a video on youtube with this title,on Oct 15 and a day later it already has 15000 views.It is all about the advantages and improvements in battery tools. Any new tool that I buy,is battery.Cant stand the cord or hose. The only downside of batteries is ,no battery interchaingeability.One thing that allways puzzled me was how clunky most air fittings were on peoples air tools.Most air tools work very well with 1/4 RUBBER hose and 1 male and 1 female quick connect.Many mechanics have very well engineered compact air tools and then hook them up with 3 or 4 pipe adapters and a giant unflexable 3/8 plastic-rubber like air hose and maybe a bulky air filter.Edwin Dirnbeck

I had enough of battery tools, won't buy another ever again. I want to get work done, not play with batteries.

I run air and cords, never ending power, work all day long.

Battery tools are for back yard mechanics.
    Andy

Comment

For 25 years I install window treatments, blinds, shutters all with cordless tools. It made my life so much better. They have a place, however I'm tired of buying rechargeable products such as toothbrushes, in the end you throw them away.
      Come to think of it, all my 25 year old Mikita cordless tools should be thrown away.

Comment

Everythings got it's place, can't beat air to drive a get it gun or a high RPM little disc grinder, but air is inefficient as all hell so if things require less power and more long term use then there's a place for battery packs and corded units.

having all three choices for certain applications is great - after getting a cordless dewalt I have to admit the corded dewalt gets very little use but it's nice to know it's there when i need it and is generally in the machine shop room...

Comment

battery tools are for people who work on man lifts, ladders, towers, and trees
          battery tools are for people who work in culverts
          battery tools are for working beside a road somewhere

Comment

Nah.
            Today, most mechanics on cars use battery tools to swap tires.

I have used very good battery tools for drilling and tapping maybe 13.000 holes in tool steel upto 13 mm D.
            Hitachi industrial, 18v lion.
            They are very expensive.
            But 9 years later my hitachi tools still work, original batteries, swapped 4 bodies (of 8) for second hand cheap bodies.

I will probably put collets on them next .. I mostly have several bodies and dont swap tools a lot.
            Modern new brushless and newer batteries are 60% better.

Originally posted by vpt View Post
            I had enough of battery tools, won't buy another ever again. I want to get work done, not play with batteries.

Comment

Not many people truly work ALL DAY LONG WITH A HAND HELD POWER TOOL. Maybe a framer or a roofer or a logger. Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

He's right though - they are for backyard mechanics too, my backyard is pretty big and id hate to have to run a power cord all the way to the other end just to work on something

in fact come to think of it - I don't have a cord that long anyways so batterys the only option...

Comment

The sound is high
                  Using electric tool power tools cuts sound down.
                  At one time ever one would put up with nose from air tools
                  Today ever one will be down on you

Dave

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
                  A mechanic posted a video on youtube with this title,on Oct 15 and a day later it already has 15000 views.It is all about the advantages and improvements in battery tools. Any new tool that I buy,is battery.Cant stand the cord or hose. The only downside of batteries is ,no battery interchaingeability.One thing that allways puzzled me was how clunky most air fittings were on peoples air tools.Most air tools work very well with 1/4 RUBBER hose and 1 male and 1 female quick connect.Many mechanics have very well engineered compact air tools and then hook them up with 3 or 4 pipe adapters and a giant unflexable 3/8 plastic-rubber like air hose and maybe a bulky air filter.Edwin Dirnbeck
                  Last edited by smithdoor; 10-16-2018, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smithdoor View Post
                    The sound is high
                    using electric tool power tools cuts sound down.
                    At one time ever one would put up with nose from air tools today no you can ever one down on you

Dave
                    The sound will always be high for certain applications just the nature of "impact"

and while the electric impact/wrenches may come close to putting out the same power as the air impact/wrenches they actually still fall short when push comes down to shove,,, air powered tools put out allot of umpgh for their size,

Air hammers will always rule, you cannot make them anymore compact due to still needing something to hang on too, they can fit in tight spots way better than anything else - try building an electric be it cordless or not that compares to a good quality air hammer, you can't ... sometimes air just plain rules due to the tool design being perfect for it,

a air piston in a chamber that's pointed in the same direction of your chisel/hammer bit, lets see you come up with a solenoid powerful enough to compete with 175psi, now lets see you make it as light and compact as an air hammer is - not going to happen....
                    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 10-16-2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Don't forget about the price/efficiency of air.
                      Helder Ferreira
                      Setubal, Portugal

Comment

+1.
                        In fact i've never owned a rechargeable power tool. Never intend to.
                        I have air and 220/240V power tools. Both with leads/chords/lines whatever you wish to call them.
                        But my middle name is Luddite.
                        Thai Luddite Guzzi...

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
                          Not many people truly work ALL DAY LONG WITH A HAND HELD POWER TOOL. Maybe a framer or a roofer or a logger. Edwin Dirnbeck
                          Automobile assembly plants.
                          Len

Comment

I went to a rechargeable drill for a couple years. Battery life was always a struggle. Then they needed to be replaced. I went back to a corded drill and never looked back. Sure, the cord and the need for a receptacle can be inconvenient. But so is being on the "battery treadmill." Although admittedly there are many jobs where rechargeable tools are the cat's meow, for most of the stuff I do (i.e. automotive repair and home carpentry), they aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by smithdoor View Post
                              The sound is high
                              Using electric tool power tools cuts sound down.
                              At one time ever one would put up with nose from air tools
                              Today ever one will be down on you

Dave
                              Only if you live where you shouldn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X