Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China sent me an almost entire height gauge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China sent me an almost entire height gauge.

Any one have a spare scriber for a six inch?
    I should have known better.

Make one, and make a YouTube video about making it.

Comment

Been thinking about a large carbide tip lathe tool to grind down to fit.
      Or order a piece of oil hardening and grind to fit.
      Either way hand grinding to thou will be a challenge I would like to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by 1-800miner View Post
        Been thinking about a large carbide tip lathe tool to grind down to fit.
        Or order a piece of oil hardening and grind to fit.
        Either way hand grinding to thou will be a challenge I would like to avoid.
        Is there no way to set the zero? Or could you get it down close to the final size then lap the face of the pointer?

Plus keep in mind that you can set the gauge to 1" and use a 1" tall slug of brass with something like diamond lapping compound on the face that laps in the pointer.

Comment

Originally posted by 1-800miner View Post
          Any one have a spare scriber for a six inch?
          I should have known better.
          Sorry for my inexperience. What part of the gauge is that? The sliding part?

If so I just need the dimensions. I turned some gauges into my supply of straight edges and I am sure I did not get rid of the sliding mechanism (or the bases).

I need the ID of the rectangle. If I have it, it is yours. JR
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

If I remember correctly, you don't need to grind to a thou. The height is reset each time you use it.

I could, of course be wrong.
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

It may not be a matter of the measuring edge position (if the the zero is re-settable) , but rather making the bottom of the scriber flat and perpendicular to the beam/parallel to the base if it will be used for height measurements.

You can buy a scriber quite inexpensively. Even Starrett sells a new one for $27 (http://www.starrett.com/metrology/pr...detail/PT22357), so eBay finds or brands other than Starrett should be less than that.
              Last edited by MichaelP; 10-20-2018, 03:05 AM.

Comment

That is inexpensive for that brand. I dont get the need for carbide, for spindle tips of a mic yeah. Over kill for a transfer gauge. JR
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

There's a fair chance that the seller will send you the scribe if you let him know.

Comment

I would second contacting seller - import company swapped out the inserts on a boring bar for me to Acme willingly. I just had to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                      That is inexpensive for that brand. I dont get the need for carbide, for spindle tips of a mic yeah. Over kill for a transfer gauge. JR
                      Just to make the edge stand up, as it is used to scribe lines. once made/bought, they can be sharpened. The parallel/perpendicular deal is important if you are picking up heights, so it does not matter exactly what part touches.

They are considered a consumable part.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                        It may not be a matter of the measuring edge position (if the the zero is re-settable) , but rather making the bottom of the scriber flat and perpendicular to the beam/parallel to the base if it will be used for height measurements.
                        Easy-peasy.

Step 1: buy a surface grinder

I always consider it a victory if I can wrangle a new machine tool purchase, rather then paying $27 for a completed product...

Comment

Amazon has a bunch of different size height gauge scribers: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1...qid=1540053726

RWO

Comment

Originally posted by tmarks11 View Post
                            Easy-peasy.

Step 1: buy a surface grinder

I always consider it a victory if I can wrangle a new machine tool purchase, rather then paying $27 for a completed product...
                            Step 2: While at the dealer, get a wire EDM to slice carbide.

After all, we need to find a way to spent money saved by buying a Chinese height gage.

Comment

Well, raise holy hell with the seller. If E-bay or Amazon, CC them too. If a US importer, like Grizzly, a phone call will probably resolve the problem.
                              Paul A.

Make it fit.
                              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                              X