Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No more absurdly cheap shipping from China?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more absurdly cheap shipping from China?

This has been a topic on the forum before.. looks like it's over:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...treaty-2018-10

I recently bough bought 4 2ft long titanium rods from China for 6usd with free shipping. Took a while, but got here. Nuts.

There are so many things just WRONG about your experience....

It should not have been possible.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

that's a move (I think) I'm not opposed to, as much as its nice being the beneficiary of it. He's an economic mental midget, but the postal situation does seem unfair in the agreement contemplated more less bilateral flow and I believe the the sending nations rates should not be heavily subsidized. It really is unfair to US businesses. I doubt our girly girl will do anything though so it will likely still be 'free' here.

Perhaps a slightly amusing psychological projection when the author calls it "obscure". Its not obscure, you just didn't know about it lol.
      Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-20-2018, 02:29 PM.
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I agree with both of you.

There are so many of these antique rules on the books... they all need to be brought into this century.

Comment

Trump is right pulling out of the postal agreement. Postage from China is ridiculously low compared to postage within the US.

Comment

When I first seen it on the news I said to myself that it does indeed seem like a good move,

not too many times I get to say that nowadays...

I think it's very possible that at least in this situation with China that when all the smoke settles out we might just be standing on more level ground with them - providing things go smoothly enough and nothing escalates into complete madness which I don't rule that out...

Comment

The UPU as established by the Treaty of Bern was a solution to an interesting problem. It provided for (from wiki)

The UPU established that:

There should be a uniform flat rate to mail a letter anywhere in the world
              Postal authorities should give equal treatment to foreign and domestic mail
              Each country should retain all money it has collected for international postage.

One of the most important results of the UPU Treaty was that it ceased to be necessary, as it often had been previously, to affix the stamps of any country through which one's letter or package would pass in transit. The UPU provides that stamps of member nations are accepted for the entire international route.

Imagine the task of mailing a letter from the US To Belgium 2 hundred years ago, with no internet or computers to help you figure out the route that it would take, or the amount in stamps that each country would require.

The whole thing went sideways when the "developing countries" such as China and India became economic power houses while using first class mail for shipping goods. I suspect that sending goods to Malta or Grenada (both are about 300 sq miles) is less taxing on the local postal service than sending that same package to Nebraska which is around 1000 miles from the nearest sea port with a Post Office international service center.

From the USPS web site... About 621 million pieces of international mail entered the U.S. from foreign countries in fiscal year (FY) 2016. More than 95 percent of this mail was accepted by the U.S. Postal Service at one of its five International Service Centers (ISC) in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Miami, and Chicago. The USPS foots the bill for the 'last mile' delivery. Or maybe the last 1000 miles. Or 3000.

It makes sense to address the misuse of the system (using letter rate mail for parcels) as well as upgrading when a country is considered "emerging" as opposed to established. If the only way to do that is to withdraw from the UPU, then so be it.
              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                When I first seen it on the news I said to myself that it does indeed seem like a good move,

not too many times I get to say that nowadays...

I think it's very possible that at least in this situation with China that when all the smoke settles out we might just be standing on more level ground with them - providing things go smoothly enough and nothing escalates into complete madness which I don't rule that out...
                This is good news for US based junk import corporate benefits, instead of buying directly from China you have to order from Grizzbear that adds 500% to the small items price.
                Like the 160 USD Starret dial caliper that is made in china... now they can happily charge you 180 USD since less likely that you would cut the middleman

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                  This is good news for US based junk import corporate benefits, instead of buying directly from China you have to order from Grizzbear that adds 500% to the small items price.
                  Like the 160 USD Starret dial caliper that is made in china... now they can happily charge you 180 USD since less likely that you would cut the middleman
                  Well there will be that too but keep in mind if things get too outrageous it may start making sense to actually look at what the "home country" has to offer and for how much...

Comment

Tarriff's plus 'real freight' = inflation. None of it is going to bring jobs 'back here' for free. Just more short term profits for companies and more in the govt coffers. Sure, taxes got dropped for some, but tariffs put it on as a consumption tax for the many.

Sure, if the prices rise enough then local manf might make the items, but at the "new normal" price. But to do that tarriffs have to stay and not be subject to the wims of politics.

Sure glad i've already bought everything I'll ever need
                    Last edited by lakeside53; 10-20-2018, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Matt, the problem is not so much that it's unfair trade. It's the load that they have put on the post office.

The problem is that in 2016 it put the burden on the US postal service of handling, sorting and delivering 650 million packages basically for free. The same padded envelope would cost me several dollars if mailed to the town 10 miles away.
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

UN subsidises China as a part of some scheme to help underdeveloped countries.

http://www.vatfraud.org/blog/stop-su...terminal-dues/
                        Last edited by Yow Ling; 10-20-2018, 04:07 PM.
                        My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                          Matt, the problem is not so much that it's unfair trade. It's the load that they have put on the post office.

The problem is that in 2016 it put the burden on the US postal service of handling, sorting and delivering 650 million packages basically for free. The same padded envelope would cost me several dollars if mailed to the town 10 miles away.
                          Same cry here in Finland and generally in all the european countries. Only difference is that local post office is just bitching about it but actually wishes to maintain the current UPU contracts. Fear was that the negotiations between 140 or so UPU members are going to take years and end up more costly for a small country like Finland than the china freight ever combined.

We also have population density something like Oregon or Nebraska and internet sales/china junk is even more popular in here than in US...

Comment

BTW, some US companies also offer "Free" shipping to Finland.

Digi-Key has been taking a huge share of electronic component deliveries to here as they offer "Free" shipping on orders over 65 euros.
                            Would cost me more than 65 euros to send anything at all with UPS/DHL to US as the big corporate(digi-key) rates are something entirely different vs. walk-in customer rates. (Note this has nothing to do with postal service)
                            Huge improvement for electronics hobbyists in here, before Digi-Key you had to pay 5x prices, 200 euros minimum order quantity and many of the distributors didn't accept private customers at all...

Same with the chinese products... need a M4 torx head insert clamping screws: 10pcs from china about 2usd, or unobtanium alloyed screws from local tool distributor at 25 usd/pcs, minimum order quantity 20pcs and on top of that you need company account to make the order at all..

Comment

Pretty much every Post Office no matter the county delivers the foreign packages for free. Even if it cost $10 for Chinese shipper to send it, the USA gets nothing. Same for what we send to wherever. As for volume, what is the real incremental cost when the PO delivers to your door every day?

Comment

Working...
                              X