Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free nice shaper and very old lathe Aldergrove ..Craigslist..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free nice shaper and very old lathe Aldergrove ..Craigslist..

Near Vancouver Bc , not sure how old the ad is.

11 hours ago it was posted.. hmmmm.
    The shaper looks like 16 or 18 inch, with modern motor on it..
    Lathe , well you need to see the pics.

Comment

I can't find it... can you post a link?

Comment

Try Vancouver craigslist Metal Working Equipment..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
          Try Vancouver craigslist Metal Working Equipment..
          There is no "Metal Working Equipment" category on Craigslist; at least not the local ones. These would most
          likely be in "Tools" but I can't find it. Can't be too far from me--I'm in Aldergrove...
          Keith

Comment

It's under free stuff in
            Delta/surrey/Langley > for sale > free stuff
            Metal Working Machinery

Comment

Linky

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/...728901642.html

Comment

Love that red chip scoop. Some strange stuff going on with that lathe.

Comment

Direct link

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/...728901642.html

Not a "metal working equipment" category but simply putting the words into the search line.

Not sure what is going on with the lathe. Looks like the previous owner used the lathe as a power source for the extra part. But the extra part is not hooked up in any other manner to the lathe than just that shaft. The extra part looking a lot like a quick change gearbox off some other lathe. And that lathe is OLD!

The shaper looks pretty good though for a fair sized home shop. I hope someone picks it up for something other than scrap. I can't, don't have to room for a second shaper and the one I've got is big enough for my needs anyway. And I just do NOT need another orphaned machine to fix up.
                  Last edited by BCRider; 10-22-2018, 12:48 PM.
                  Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

In the boxes it looks like boxes of bolts in one....?.wonder what else. .
                    I THINK THE clapper for shaper is sitting on the quick change frame.,
                    If you have a wide property, the lathe would make a nice address sign, put the house number on a 2x5 sheet in front of the lathe.
                    Last edited by 754; 10-22-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I thought the add-on gear box for the lathe was to make up for lack of threading gears (or using change gears) on the lathe, but I can't see where the add-on gear box is connected to the leadscrew. Weird.

Comment

It is all straight forward enough. The extended spindle drives a reversing box which in turn drives the QC gear box and just at the right of that we can see a gear on the end of the lead screw and barely visible behind that is another gear which will be the output of the QCGB.

Comment

I can't see any connection back into the actual lathe lead screw though. There's that white panel in the way. Or perhaps it didn't quite get finished? Or the transfer shaft with, presumably, the universal joints is not in place for some reason?

I'm guessing that the intent to run the lathe's lead screw is there. Just that it's not completed in the picture.
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                            I can't see any connection back into the actual lathe lead screw though. There's that white panel in the way. Or perhaps it didn't quite get finished? Or the transfer shaft with, presumably, the universal joints is not in place for some reason?

I'm guessing that the intent to run the lathe's lead screw is there. Just that it's not completed in the picture.
                            Enough debating about the lathe drive mechanism, someone needs to rescue the shaper and get some better pictures of the lathe or what's left of it.

Comment

That shaper is a smaller brother to The Battle Shaper, which was built in the 1900 - 1920 time frame (and probably at the beginning of that time). The letters cast into the door look the same (as much as I can tell from the photo) and it's similar in most other ways. Same handles, shafts, adjustment mechanisms, etc. However, it is smaller. The Battle Shaper has 6 nuts holding down the slide cover, and this one has 5 nuts. It also looks a little narrower, and the X on the table looks narrower. So the guess that it's a 20" might be right since the Battle Shaper is 24" (can be pushed to 27").

If nothing else, somebody should score the electric motor for free, and I'd LOVE to have the original cone pulleys. The cones were lost off of the Battle Shaper in the 1970's... I wouldn't use them, but I'd like to have original parts. Shipping would be pricey, but I'd be willing to pay for the shipping.

The Battle Shaper has served me well... this would probably be a great machine, especially for the price. Now where is that posting from the guy who is "starting up"? Maybe he would be willing to drive 3000 miles from Georgia to BC ... If nothing else, refurbishing that old thing would give him a real goal.

Comment

Working...
                              X