Albrecht chucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albrecht chucks

Long time Jacobs fan think I have 9 mounted on machines or tapers, mostly the N ball bearing types. Thought I would try Albrecht found one eBay 1/2 inch. I figured it would be good for drilling and tapping lot of bit changes no key needed.

It does fine on larger bits small ones 1/4 and under tends to spin the bit. Jaws are in good shape I hand tighten as tight as possable. May be the 1/2 inch just won’t handle small bits. Jacobs I keep 4 racked by the lathe use the size that’s appropriate.

Anything I need to know about Albrecht chucks ?

Boats

Originally posted by boats View Post
    Long time Jacobs fan think I have 9 mounted on machines or tapers, mostly the N ball bearing types. Thought I would try Albrecht found one eBay 1/2 inch. I figured it would be good for drilling and tapping lot of bit changes no key needed.

It does fine on larger bits small ones 1/4 and under tends to spin the bit. Jaws are in good shape I hand tighten as tight as possable. May be the 1/2 inch just won’t handle small bits. Jacobs I keep 4 racked by the lathe use the size that’s appropriate.

Anything I need to know about Albrecht chucks ?

Boats
    I have four Albrecht drill chucks. I have the opposite problem. Sometimes they are difficult to get loose after dilling.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I bought a used Albrecht many years ago that would not stay tight reliably. I took it apart, cleaned the grease out of it, and reassembled with light oil instead of grease. Now it works fine.

Comment

Highly recommend NOT greasing it, as already mentioned.
        And use the lightest oil that you have.

-Doozer
        DZER

Comment

Here's some info from Albrecht on refurbing your chucks. Notice that NO LUBRICATION should be used on the ACME threads.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post
            Here's some info from Albrecht on refurbing your chucks. Notice that NO LUBRICATION should be used on the ACME threads.
            I wonder what happens if you lubricate also the thread? Overtigthening with ball dents in bearing races?

Comment

If you grease the threads, it will just spring loose as soon as you tighten it.
              Picture a screw jack like for lifting your car, and it has a ball-nut.
              The weight of the car will back-drive the screw, and you have no holding
              force at all. This is kind of what happens if you grease the thread on a
              keyless chuck. You reduce the friction so much, it back-drives itself.

-D
              DZER

Comment

Originally posted by boats View Post
                .................................................. ........................ 1/2 inch. I figured it would be good for drilling and tapping lot of bit changes no key needed.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................................

Boats
                Forget about tapping with Albrecht's........ they loosen when you reverse the spindle.

They can also get gawd awful tight when drilling. Like so tight you're tempted to get out the pipe wrench to loosen. (I'm sure someone will post their clever clamping device to loosen stuck Albrecht's, but what's the point, those defeat the quick bit change concept).

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                  They can also get gawd awful tight when drilling. Like so tight you're tempted to get out the pipe wrench to loosen. (I'm sure someone will post their clever clamping device to loosen stuck Albrecht's, but what's the point, those defeat the quick bit change concept).
                  Same with my chinese chucks.. either they are slipping or biting so tight that you need the pipe wrench.. but sometimes they seem to hold just about right.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                    Forget about tapping with Albrecht's........ they loosen when you reverse the spindle.

A "Strap wrench" is the appropriate tool for this op. . Have used one often at school. :-)
                    ...lew...

Comment

Thanks all will degrease it. Not running the tap in the Albrecht it’s the spot drill, pilot hole, tap hole then chucking up the spring loaded tap center, that’s 4 chuckings per hole. Good spot for a keyless chick.

Boats

Comment

Don’t try to run a hole saw in a keyless chuck. I had one get so tight it crushed the hex down on the pilot bit. Ruining the hole saw and breaking the chuck. Ended up binning the whole thing.

Comment

Boy this thread sounds like a BIG promotion for keyed chucks.
                          Paul A.

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I have been down this journey.

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                            Boy this thread sounds like a BIG promotion for keyed chucks.
                            I really enjoy using keyless chucks for most jobs BUT sometimes I prefer to use keyed chucks, especially for tapping and heavy drilling. Regards David Powell.

Comment

Actually a older American made Jacobs ball bearing chuck, the “N” models, are as good as you can get. Remarkable how much better they work than non ball bearing Jacobs.

Bass

Comment

Working...
                              X