Bandsaw roller guide chip brushes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw roller guide chip brushes?

I'm getting close to finishing a rebuild of an older Wellsaw M1000 horizontal bandsaw, and have a bit of a question.

Here's the "downstream" roller guide and bracket for the chip brushes:

When I got the saw, the guides were backwards, with the chip brush ahead of the workpiece, on the "upstream" side blade guide. The manual shows the chip brushes in the configuration as shown above. (Of course, it also shows the standoff collars between the bracket and the bolt head, but we won't get into that. )

Anyway, I keep wondering if it wouldn't be better to mount some chip brushes before] the guide rollers, to keep chips from trying to jam in between the blade and rollers.

When I was running this thing before I tore it down for the rebuild, I would occasionally have an issue with "blade jams" that I couldn't seem to cure. I always thought it was the blade sticking in the work, but now I wonder if it wasn't crud jamming the blade at the guide roller.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

I found some 2-3" diameter nylon and brass brush wheels from a metal finishing supplier in the UK for my saw. Can't remember who it was, but that might be a direction to look in.

Comment

Our Wellsaw 1118 at work has a belt driven chip brush mounted just after the rear guide and just before the blade wheel.Chips never have been an issue with the guides.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

My Jet bandsaw has a 2" diam. wheel shaped wire brush on a 1/4" shank mounted about 1/2 way between the rear guide and blade wheel. The edge of the brush is about 1/8" up into the teeth, and about 15 degrees angled to the blade. There are 2 collars with a setscrew on the 1/4" shank, one on either side of the wheel holder. When the blade turns, the brush turns and cleans out the teeth. Super simple, the wire brushes are cheap and easy to find, and easy to change.

Comment

Chips getting into the guide rollers have never been an issue with my Wilton horizontal saw except when I use it in the vertical position, which is rarely. In the vertical position the chips fall straight down between the guide rollers and are flattened out and stick to the blade and fall between the drive wheel. Some times they have even opened up the guide bearing gap which is .010 I believe and the chips are bigger than that.

In the horizontal position the plate in front of the guide bearings stops almost all of the chips.
          I did experiment once by putting a piece of nylon with a blade width slit in it behind the plate to act as a wiper.

JL..............

Comment

Chip brushes in both up and downstream locations. And on each wheel surface. Why not? Seems to me the less swarf carried around the better.

Comment

Working...
            X