OT- Maybe. Locking Double Gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Maybe. Locking Double Gates

I have two metal "farm" gates across my driveway, they close with a gap of about 5". It's a gravel driveway so using a cane bolt would be a constant issue especially in the winter. Right now, I have a bicycle cable wrapped around one side that I pull the eyes around the other side and use a padlock. But that doesn't stop the wind from blowing the gates and the center gap opens, which could be an issue of our dogs pushing through. So I made up a 1/2" smooth bar that slides through eyes on the top pipe that spans across both gates enough to keep them closed. It works, but my wife complains it's tow steps just to open the gate. I'm looking for a means of combining both a means of linking both gates together so they don't sway open and lockable too. Thought I would ask the folks here for some ideas.

Do you weld? If so, weld a piece of 4" flat bar along the length of one side to close the gap and fab up a latch that attaches to the other side with a padlock . Alternately, a piece of steel could be bolted to the side. Jim

Comment

Solve all your problems and install an electric gate opener. You can also have it operate a solenoid or motor to un-pin the top rod. And if you get out early and plow the snow, your wife won't even have to get out of the car to open/close the gate.

Comment

Have an arm welded on the top of one gate that swings over top of the other with 2 pieces of flat bar on the side that capture the 2nd gate and keep it inline. Make the flat bar deeper than the top tub and cross drill a couple hole in line so you can pass a long shackle padlock through. I've thought about doing the same with the gates that go to my back driveway but havn't been bothered enough by them yet to do it. I just have them chained.

Comment

A 5" gap is quite a bit. An inch or less is what I would expect. Did something move??
          Is there an adjustment in or at the hinges that could close up some of the gap??

Aside from putting a strip or bar on one gate to fill he gap, would it be possible to change the space where each gate mounts at the pillar or hinge?? Kind of split the difference where it would be less noticeable.

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by rws View Post
            I have two metal "farm" gates across my driveway, they close with a gap of about 5". It's a gravel driveway so using a cane bolt would be a constant issue especially in the winter. Right now, I have a bicycle cable wrapped around one side that I pull the eyes around the other side and use a padlock. But that doesn't stop the wind from blowing the gates and the center gap opens, which could be an issue of our dogs pushing through. So I made up a 1/2" smooth bar that slides through eyes on the top pipe that spans across both gates enough to keep them closed. It works, but my wife complains it's tow steps just to open the gate. I'm looking for a means of combining both a means of linking both gates together so they don't sway open and lockable too. Thought I would ask the folks here for some ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
              A 5" gap is quite a bit. An inch or less is what I would expect. Did something move??
              Is there an adjustment in or at the hinges that could close up some of the gap??

Aside from putting a strip or bar on one gate to fill he gap, would it be possible to change the space where each gate mounts at the pillar or hinge?? Kind of split the difference where it would be less noticeable.

JL................
              Well, to be honest, I made an error when I sunk the posts, hence the gap. However, that gap is no wider than the spacing of the pipes, so I left it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                I will this afternoon and post it tomorrow. I didn't plan on making this post until I get an email from my wife expressing her frustrations of opening the gate this morning!

Comment

Well, to be honest, I made an error when I sunk the posts, hence the gap. However, that gap is no wider than the spacing of the pipes, so I left it alone.
                  I goofed when I drilled my posts too. Was drilling some holes for a neighbor and thought I'd do mine at the same time so I wouldn't have to put the auger back on later. I would have bet some good money at that moment that the gates I had were 16'...... Set the posts at 32' and change, and the next weekend I dragged the gates up to the driveway only to discover my error. Had to put the auger on to drill another hole for my 14' gates....

The funny part was, the neighbor did that same with his. I drilled his both for 14' according to his instructions, but one of his ended up only being 12'.

Comment

Hmm... D'ya suppose there's some truth behind that old adage, "measure twice and saw once?"

Naa...That'd just be a waste of time.

Comment

Oh well, S&$#happens. If you could space them out at the posts it would be less noticeable than filling the gap between the two.

JL...............

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                        Hmm... D'ya suppose there's some truth behind that old adage, "measure twice and saw once?"

Naa...That'd just be a waste of time.
                        I was on the tractor and it was a "hey we should drill the holes for mine too while I'm here" spur of the moment thing. The gates were out behind the barn and would have taken 5 minutes to go measure...... I was 100% sure they were 16' anyway as I had measured them a couple years earlier, and always remember everything and am never wrong . I've got a small man gate to go between those 2 posts so it almost looks like I meant to do it. I have no idea what the neighbors excuse was, as both his gates were leaning against each other and it was obvious one was 2' shorter lol.

Comment

I think you could make something to go on the posts to hang the gates on that would look more like a design feature than a cobble up patch in the middle.
                          How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I would add a counterweight to that to keep my back and wife happier.

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                            Have an arm welded on the top of one gate that swings over top of the other with 2 pieces of flat bar on the side that capture the 2nd gate and keep it inline. Make the flat bar deeper than the top tub and cross drill a couple hole in line so you can pass a long shackle padlock through. I've thought about doing the same with the gates that go to my back driveway but havn't been bothered enough by them yet to do it. I just have them chained.
                            Paul A.

Make it fit.
                            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

OK, here is a pic of the gate. I guess the fixes have pretty much been discussed.

[img][/img]

I'm thinking of replacing the rod along the top of the gates with something bigger and light, such as a piece of 1/2" pipe, and make brackets the pipe can slide in. With a stop on one end of the pipe, and a hole drilled in the opposite end, the pad lock could be used and the gates would be held in place with one thing.
                              Last edited by rws; 10-24-2018, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X