OT: An interesting insight into a potential cause of Alzheimer's disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: An interesting insight into a potential cause of Alzheimer's disease

"...I have found the strongest evidence yet that the herpes virus is a cause of Alzheimer’s, suggesting that effective and safe antiviral drugs might be able to treat the disease. We might even be able to vaccinate our children against it."

Ruth Itzhaki, Professor Emeritus of Molecular Neurobiology at University of Manchester

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2018...-to-alzheimers

That is interesting. Right now I'm watching my mother go through this horrible disease. Maybe there's some hope?

Comment

very interesting I hope it works

Comment

"A" cause, not "The" cause.
        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
          "A" cause, not "The" cause.
          but IF the cause is viral, then it might be curable.

Comment

I hope and pray he is onto something. Many seniors are afflicted by this and it would be a blessing if a cure is found. Plus, I am 74 years old so there is more than a bit of self interest there.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
              I hope and pray he is onto something. Many seniors are afflicted by this and it would be a blessing if a cure is found. Plus, I am 74 years old so there is more than a bit of self interest there.
              I'm 63 and sometimes I think I have it!

Comment

Sounds hopeful . My only problem, at 86, is NAMES. But it has always been a problem. Technical facts etc., no problem (yet) but names fergetit. :-)
                ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                  Sounds hopeful . My only problem, at 86, is NAMES. But it has always been a problem. Technical facts etc., no problem (yet) but names fergetit. :-)
                  ...lew...
                  For about a decade I couldn't recall the last name of a colleague with whom I worked for 9 years. Then, sometime last year I was able to retrieve his surname from the mists of my memory: so I hadn't actually forgotten it, I simply couldn't access it. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                    ...lew...
                    I'm 29 and I can't remember names or faces for anything. But I have a near perfect memory for text on a page, mechanical do-dads, numbers, etc. I can remember, verbatim, what was said during a meeting, but I can't tell you who was in the meeting unless it was people I already knew pretty well. Go figure.

Comment

Whenever I repeatably enter numbers into a keypad to open locked things, or when we used to enter phone numbers into telephones to call our friends, I often forget what numbers I'm actually pushing and just remember the pattern I'm pushing. You could ask me what number did you just press on that door lock and I wouldn't be able to tell you unless I looked at it and read the numbers off the buttons I push.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
                        I'm 29 and I can't remember names or faces for anything. But I have a near perfect memory for text on a page, mechanical do-dads, numbers, etc. I can remember, verbatim, what was said during a meeting, but I can't tell you who was in the meeting unless it was people I already knew pretty well. Go figure.
                        I knew a counselor who pointed out that people have different memory for categories of things. He said that he too could remember almost verbatim what different car salesmen had said when they'd been car shopping. On the other hand, he could set his keys down when he got home and five minutes later he had no idea where they were. His wife would say, "They're on top of the fridge", because she'd just walked through the kitchen and she could remember all the visual objects.
                        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

I'd say its possible, I mean look at stomach ulcers, look how long people lived with them before we
                          figured out they were viral or something like that.
                          John Titor, when are you.

Comment

We have two memory systems formed during our evolution. One is electrical and is deigned to be short term because you really don't need to remember the shape of the particular berry you just ate and the other is chemical which kicks in if the stimulus is repeated frequently so you remember where the berry bush is for next year. So a kid needs to hear the same storey over and over until one day one day it goes permanent - then they don't ask to hear it again 'cos they know the ending but it's there in their brain cells to repeat to their own children in 20 years time and again for grandchildren in 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
                              I'd say its possible, I mean look at stomach ulcers, look how long people lived with them before we
                              figured out they were viral or something like that.
                              The discovery was that Helicobacter pylori (a common bacterium found in the human gut) is the cause of most cases of stomach ulcers and gastritis. There was great resistance to the idea from the medical establishment, but I think that it is now universally accepted.

Comment

Working...
                              X