Shear sharpening ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shear sharpening ?

I was getting my haircut and overheard my barber talking about the guy that sharpened there shears had died. They are looking for a new person to do this service. I have been looking for a side buisness to get into and this sounds interesting. Where can a person learn about this trade and where would you buy the proper equipment?
    Any help would be appreciated. Mike

An old friend of mine told me how it was done. He used a wet grinder. The stone turned slowly in a horizontal plane. The shear knives were held by hand and placed flat on the stone. The shear blades only had one side to grind so all he had to do was hold the blade for a few turns of the wheel and he was done. Easy money. Look for a wet grinder that has a horizontal grind wheel.
    Richard
    Richard Montgomery
    Robert, LA

Comment

Just did a Google search for "shear Sharpening" Lots of stuff there. This one might be promising:

http://www.ameritech.net/users/knives/index.htm

Comment

Wow with just a little looking around on the internet I have learned some already. Wolf Industries sounds like they have some very good equipment and instructional videos. I tried to contact them but missed them due to the time change East verse West. I will try again tomorrow. It looks like there is a difference in sharpening house hold scissors and hair cutting scissors . I am not sure what the meaning of hollow ground is I have seen it on knives before. I think this might be fun to learn. It seems like every time I learn something new I find a use for the info in other things that I do such as metal working and wood working. If there any professional sharpeners out there I would like to hear from you.
        Thanks Mike

Comment

When you said shears, I thought you meant blades on the electric barber clippers. Was that what you wanted? Scissors get a different treatment.
          Richard
          Richard Montgomery
          Robert, LA

Comment

gundog,
            I sharpen scissors, clipper blades, etc., got started in it 11 years ago when the guy that had been sharpening for my wife's grooming shop gave up his route. I use the Foley Belsaw 327 machine and like it fine.
            Call FB at 1-800-821-3452 and get their catalog sent to you. I got the FB instructional video and was started in business quickly. I primarily provide the service for our own business but there is a lot of opportunity for being real busy in my area. Sharpening a standard pair for grooming is the easy part of maintaining scissors. Straightening a bent pair that has dropped on the floor and adjusting the feel of the joint for an individual customer is more difficult.
            I remember being a little apprehensive about grinding on a $300.00 plus pair of scissors when I first got started. It would be my advice to avoid these until you build a little confidence Maybe just me). Wish you success in your new business.

Comment

Thanks guys,
              The answer is yes I am talking about hair grooming equipment. Steve I will give those folks a call.
              Mike

Comment

Steve S,

Are you actually making money with the Foley equipment?

For years I'd seen the ads in the back of Popular Mechanics mag about running a side business sharpening various items with their equipment.

Over the last 25 years or so I guess I've run into maybe three individuals who bought the Foley setup. Each time they were selling it off, never having made more than a few bucks.

Once I even had one of the guys sharpen a blade for me. Either he didn't know how or the equipment wasn't up to the job, because the blade wasn't properly sharpened.

Comment

I think the Wolf and Foley-Belsaw equipment is very similar but maybe there is a price advantage one way or the other.

http://www.saw-toolsharpening.com/Sc...rpening01.html

Comment

Thanks for all the info I have catalogs coming from Wolfe, Nebraska Blade & Belsaw.
                    I am thinking of taking a class from the Nebraska Blade Co. $250 for 8 hours he says he can train me to do both shears & clipper blades in that time.
                    Mike

[This message has been edited by gundog (edited 09-09-2004).]

Comment

DR,
                      "Are you actually making money with the Foley equipment?"
                      As I said above I got into scissor and clipper blade sharpening out of a strong/urgent need to provide for our (my wife's) business. Word got out I was sharpening and folks were begging for the service. One of our grooming supplies vendors told his other shop owners on his route and I was turning folks away and still do. Most folks get them sharpened thru the mail. Some outfits offer a turn-a-round service where you don't necessarily get your blades back but what they call a serviceable blade in exchange. Don't be hoodwinked by these guys! And too, just as we buy a piece of stock for a machining job and get what I call a bad chunk of steel, well the blade makers get some bad stuff also or do a poor heat treat and the blade is next to worthless. If it's too soft it is difficult to keep an edge and it gets worn out from sharpening with little actual useful life, too hard and the teeth pop off almost from looking at them the wrong way (a drop doesn't help). I'm getting off track.
                      I think I could do very well only sharpening scissors and clipper blades but that is not what I want to do. I know I save us a bundle doing it in-house.
                      I bought my equipment from a guy that tried to make a go of sharpening business. He went broke and with good reason - he could not get the technique down to produce a sharp edge. Like you, I have met a few that were hanging it up after a frustrating start. My own start was not too great. I would be pleased as punch that I sharpened 10 clipper blades for my wife only to have her try them and return half back to me for another try. They looked great but wouldn't cut without snagging. She was sweet/encouraging about it so I keep working at it. I think I have done more than a hundred blades since the last reject but I expect there will be another.

Comment

Working...
                      X