OT- WiFi Range Extender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- WiFi Range Extender

We use a mobile hotspot for our internet, there is no cable available. The hotspot is close to a window to get it's signal, and it's OK for the laptop within a room or two. But to get to the other rooms, the signal just doesn't make it. I see these "wifi range extenders" available. Anyone ever use one? Do they really work?

Originally posted by rws View Post
    We use a mobile hotspot for our internet, there is no cable available. The hotspot is close to a window to get it's signal, and it's OK for the laptop within a room or two. But to get to the other rooms, the signal just doesn't make it. I see these "wifi range extenders" available. Anyone ever use one? Do they really work?
    Yes they work. You might need more than one depending on your home contruction.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I have two routers, one upstairs and one in the shop downstairs. Both hardwired. The upstairs one was not reaching our bedroom for our roku so I went shopping for an extender.

Got this one from amazon and couldnt be happier. Inexpensive and it broadcasts all the way downstairs too. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

We've had one for several years. Just plugs into a convenient outlet. Run a little connection program and it's
        good to go--works just fine...
        Keith

Comment

Does your mobile hotspot allow more than one client/computer to connect to it? Some of those mobile hotspot services are designed for point-to-point and will not work when connected to a router or to a device that provides network address translation behind clients.

Comment

I have a Netgear extender that I purchased at WalMart a couple of years ago. I can't remember the exact price, but it was less than $40. You don't have to spend a lot on one.

It is sitting on the windowsill in my bedroom which is at the SE corner of my house. It reaches to the TV in my garage/shop which is at the NW corner. It has better coverage than the main WiFi router that is sitting on my desk.

I put it up on the windowsill because, as far as RF range is concerned, height is everything. An ideal location would be in the attic, at the peak of the roof. As a general rule, the higher the better. Installation was very easy and it worked on the first try.

It serves two computers, my cell phone, and three TVs (through streaming video with a Roku). All of them can operate at once on that one, tiny range extender.
            Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 10-24-2018, 05:57 PM.
            Paul A.

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
              Does your mobile hotspot allow more than one client/computer to connect to it? Some of those mobile hotspot services are designed for point-to-point and will not work when connected to a router or to a device that provides network address translation behind clients.
              Yes it does, something like up to 10. These sound pretty good!

Comment

I installed one recently for a friend. He had his router in the living room and when he went into the kitchen and closed the glass door the signal dropped too much. What surprised people is that although you can see through it glass is very good at reflecting wifi. It doesn't attenuate it by absorption it is reflection.
                You should also check whether you are connection on 2.4 or 5GHz. Android phones will tell you, iphones and windows won't unless you make the SSIDs different. If you can keep the SSIDs the same and the passwords the same for both frequencies your device will be better at switching to the better signal. 2.4GHz will only give you speeds up to about 110Mbps.
                If you are running 5GHz and are not near an airport see if you can use the higher number channels. These have to do a 1 minute radar check on turn on but do allow higher power and so greater range.

Comment

Working...
                X