OT ? - Want to start selling on other than ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT ? - Want to start selling on other than ebay

Liquidating some unwanted and valuable vintage watch parts in order to pay for the incredibly expensive servicing of my chronograph has prompted me to finally look into online selling. I have a lot of surplus machinists tools as well but with no particular "need" I have put this (unpleasant for me) task off. That plus my dislike of ebay and PayPal. They are ok for buying but, from what I hear, leave something to be desired for selling, like the 10% vig.

Has anyone here any experience using alternatives (other than Chraig's List)?

I wouldn't worry about whatever the seller fee(s) are. Selling something on eBay puts your item(s) in front of the most people so you have a much better chance of selling it and usually for whatever the actual market value is which depends on how many people are interested in buying it and what they are willing so spend. I suggest selling on eBay in an auction format with a relatively low starting bid and the longest duration for maximum exposure.

I'd be more concerned about the actual buyer's integrity than eBay or PayPal.

Comment

I sell on Ebay. I take the hit when I do. Its the second largest on-line reseller entity behind Amazon. I haven't looked into Amazon, but I guess I should. A buddy of mine manufacturers kits to put a cheap diamond blade on grinders (various types of grinders), and another tool that holds tungsten at the proper angle on a grinder for easy proper grinding angles. He sells the heck out of them on Ebay. Its his side business and rapidly becoming his primary business. He makes the sale, expenses all the fees, and makes some more. Fees, taxes, materials, tools, and labor. Its all part of the cost of doing business.

Sure Craigslist some stuff, and post it on local Facebook sales exchanges too. You might get cash for asking price, but don't write off Ebay just because you have to pay a fee to use the service they spent millions and millions of dollars creating and maintaining. Its a valuable selling tool. If their service didn't have value you wouldn't be interested in using it anyway.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Horst View Post
        Liquidating some unwanted and valuable vintage watch parts in order to pay for the incredibly expensive servicing of my chronograph has prompted me to finally look into online selling. I have a lot of surplus machinists tools as well but with no particular "need" I have put this (unpleasant for me) task off. That plus my dislike of ebay and PayPal. They are ok for buying but, from what I hear, leave something to be desired for selling, like the 10% vig.

Has anyone here any experience using alternatives (other than Chraig's List)?
        CNCzone has a classifieds section as does practical machinist (i think). JR
        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I always get a premium price on E-bay and it is well worth the 12.9% that you pay. That is the cost of selling to the largest market.
          Craigslist is horrid. Everyone wants to offer you 10 cents on the dollar or they never show up.

Comment

Ebay. Fees are part of doing business... price accordingly.

But, it's been a very very long time since I was a new seller.. being established, it's quite painless. I suspect it is now more of a pita to get started than it once was.

Comment

I've done reasonably well with Craigslist, but I have to admit there is a lot of pucker factor when a guy tells me to meet him outside the unmarked building in the industrial part of town and to bring a large amount of cash...

I bought an expensive camera lens through Craigslist... The guy was okay with meeting in the lobby of the sheriff's department. That gave me some confidence. Turns out the whole deal went well.

Comment

I've been selling on eBay for 15+ years. You likely have stuff that will do best on eBay and if you listed on Craig's you would mostly get low ball offers from people who intend to sell it on eBay. I still run a few auctions for unusual things, where value is unknown, but have largely gone to fixed price 30 day listings, many with free shipping. I search the "sold" listings and if there are several similar items I price mine about the same. Sometimes relist several times and lower price, or take offers, after a while. Auctions of common items don't attract much attention and sometimes get no bids or maybe just a snipe bid or 2 at the very end.

Comment

12.9% ??? No thank you!
                  The Ferengi in me wants to declare war.
                  As for servicing your chronograph, why not use the time from a gps? Far more precise.

Comment

I look at it like what business would grouch at having a leading global marketing and sales turnkey option for for 10% (or is it 12.9 today?). For something like watch parts (what vintage!) that is imo what you need, maximum reach.

For common machinist items I can usually out do ebay with local classified sales, mostly kijiji. The logic is buyers will pay a premium to inspect vs taking the risk of buying sight unseen and there is no shipping (even though they still have the inconvenience of getting to my place, they don't seem to consider that). I ebay for things that are more specialized, I believe with those I get more $$, but its certainly faster. Offset is the hassle of shipping and ebay risk (vs cash and carry)

kijiji hasn't taken off in the states, which, despite its flaws, is a lot better craiglist. I don't like craiglist as a seller (and its a ghost town here) because you can't delete an ad. Stupid. Your ad expires and you renew and now there are two entries, expires again and there are 3. If you are trying to sell any volume of stuff this quickly makes the account difficult to manage, vs the usual way where you see your active listings and when sold they're removed from the list and when renewed they don't create a another listing. Its such a basic flaw, it seem incredible they built it that.

All classified transactions I've been involved in, and its been a fair bit, are done at someone's house. Maybe if you were transacting in different sorts of items it might be riskier, but why wouldn't I have someone over to the house for a 0-1" mic? Whats he going to do, conk me over the head and run away with it? No seller, me or the other guys, wants to waste time driving to meet a buyer who may or may not take the item. I also don't have a problem with flakes, well not usually. No shows have gone to about zero since I started simply asking for a phone number and a set time before giving out the address.

Anyway, to the OP's problem, imo ebay is the best solution. Few watchmaking forums allow for sale postings and as good as PM is for selling, its not the place for watch parts lol
                    Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-26-2018, 10:05 AM.
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                      I wouldn't worry about whatever the seller fee(s) are. Selling something on eBay puts your item(s) in front of the most people so you have a much better chance of selling it and usually for whatever the actual market value is which depends on how many people are interested in buying it and what they are willing so spend. I suggest selling on eBay in an auction format with a relatively low starting bid and the longest duration for maximum exposure.
                      I've been buying and selling on eBay for about 20 years, mostly buying.

Very much agree that your exposure on eBay will get you a higher price than on Craigslist and offset the selling fees. Plus you don't have to deal with the dishonest people that seem to be common on Craigslist nowadays. I use CL only for items that are too big or too much hassle to ship.

Very much disagree with a "relatively low starting bid". I always list at the price that will make me happy and if I only get ONE bid, all is good. You list as a low price and only one person bids you are contractually obligated by eBay to complete the sale, even if you are really mad that no one else bid to drive the price up and you feel like you are giving it away.

Steve

Comment

I have hauled things to swap meets and put them on Craigslist. case in point big block ford aluminum Marine exhaust manifolds swap meet c/l price $200 2 years not one taker or call one time on ebay at $450 sold. one of my frist ebay sales
                        Next a giant 1000MM camera lens I picked up at a flea market for almost nothing put it on c/l and some other places not a call put it on ebay I had to relist it a few times but it sold to a animal photographer in Brazil but shipped to his studio in New York City sold $550
                        next a 10ee steady rest I got off ebay for 75.+ shipping cleaned it up put on PM no takers backup on ebay sold in 2 days sold 475.
                        So between paypal and ebay I gave up about 15 percent so what I may still have this stuff in the case of the ford manifolds I would have got 50 cents a pound for them. Ken https://www.ebay.com/itm/25393272753...84.m1555.l2649

Comment

[QUOTE=Mcgyver;1201014I don't like craiglist as a seller (and its a ghost town here in Toronto) because you can't delete an ad. Stupid. Your ad expires and you renew and now there are two entries, expires again and there are 3. If you are trying to sell any volume of stuff this quickly makes the account difficult to manage, vs the usual way where you see your active listings and when sold they're removed from the list and when renewed they don't create a another listing. Its such a basic flaw, it seem incredible they built it that.[/QUOTE]

I delete listings from CL all the time. And when I renew an item it never replicates in any way. You and I to my knowledge are both sensible savvy people. Are we talking about the same craigslist software?

metalmagpie

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                            Plus you don't have to deal with the dishonest people that seem to be common on Craigslist nowadays.
                            I sell on CL all the time, pretty much continuously over the last few years. Yes, there are a few no-shows. And negotiating is common. Why not? If someone wants $250 what do I have to lose in offering him $150? I might say I've seen those cheaper when I hadn't - does that put me into your 'dishonest people' category? I just think of it as a negotiating ploy.

I recently bought a machine torch from ebay. It was advertised as being made by Airco, in good working condition but didn't have good pictures. I wrote and specifically asked if it had the rack on the side. He wrote back and said yes. I bought it. Ouch. No rack. Funky valves. And - the kicker - not even Airco. How's that for honesty? What really put the cherry on top was when I protested and Paypal ruled in favor of the seller.

Even after all that, I don't really think of the seller as being dishonest. Probably more mindless than malicious.

I'd like to hear some examples of craigslist dishonesty. If they say their Gibson guitar is perfect and you get there and it has a cracked neck, you can just walk away unlike ebay where you have to pay to find out.

metalmagpie

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                              Very much disagree with a "relatively low starting bid". I always list at the price that will make me happy and if I only get ONE bid, all is good. You list as a low price and only one person bids you are contractually obligated by eBay to complete the sale, even if you are really mad that no one else bid to drive the price up and you feel like you are giving it away.

Steve
                              rel·a·tive·ly
                              adverb
                              in relation, comparison, or proportion to something else.

Comment

Working...
                              X