Hertel Tap Quality ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hertel Tap Quality ??

I was thinking of trying this brand tap and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the quality is like?
    Middle of the road, average, about the same as B.T.I (McMaster), Cleveland, etc. Ace Hanson, well we won't go there but you know what I' mean.

There are so many different brands out there now that I don't know which ones are real quality or just over rated.

JL..................

I haven't personally used those. I only have what I have stumbled across for cheap like hanson, ace, greenlee ect and snap on. I primarily use snap on because of the warranty, if it breaks or gets dull, I exchange it. Traded a shotgun for the snap-on tap and die set I have because I was not willing to pay the price on the truck. As a side note, Mac tools has lifetime warranty cobalt drill bits, they are expensive though. Unfortunately I had to pay near full price for the drill bits, I gave mac guy 4 jars of my homemade clear to knock the price down a bit
    My recommendation?

No matter what I tell you, get a second opinion.

Comment

I use nothing but Hertel. The quality is excellent and the price is good. I especially like their spiral-point, TiAN coated product. I work them hard and they hold up very well. Everything I've bought in that brand is made in USA.

Comment

This thread is useless without links

Comment

Originally posted by Tony907 View Post
          I haven't personally used those. I only have what I have stumbled across for cheap like hanson, ace, greenlee ect and snap on. I primarily use snap on because of the warranty, if it breaks or gets dull, I exchange it. Traded a shotgun for the snap-on tap and die set I have because I was not willing to pay the price on the truck. As a side note, Mac tools has lifetime warranty cobalt drill bits, they are expensive though. Unfortunately I had to pay near full price for the drill bits, I gave mac guy 4 jars of my homemade clear to knock the price down a bit
          this thread is useless without samples of the above!

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
            This thread is useless without links
            Here ya go.......

JL...............

Comment

Hi,

Been specing Hertal taps for years on shop floors. I have found I can push them hard in CNC tapping operations with excellent life in aluminum, mild steels, and tool steels. My favorite taps are still Besly though.
              If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

American "garage tools" have interesting warranty concepts.

I guess they figured that average joe wont replace the drills that many times so when they sell cheap chinese drills they can still make profit on average... and if you replace your drills too many times there is probably suitable clause in the warranty to deny your claim.

Comment

I don't see how they could lifetime warranty consumables.

JL..............

Comment

They are good. I would buy them alot back in the Enco days. BUT there are some that are offshore made. Still seem to work fine.. I ordered them by mistake. If you get them form Mcmaster they will be US made.

Comment

Everything I have with Hertel on it is top quality, German, I believe, part of Kennametal now.

Comment

I just checked.. I have some made in Korea Hertel.

From Kennametal site:

In 1993, Kennametal acquired Hertel AG, a tooling systems manufacturer headquartered in F├╝rth, Germany, with operations throughout Europe and worldwide. This enabled the corporation to compete more effectively in Western Europe, gain better access to emerging markets in Eastern Europe, and offer additional product lines in Asia Pacific. The Asia Pacific effort was further expanded to include manufacturing joint ventures for mining tools in China and a metalworking tool manufacturing plant in Shanghai.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          I don't see how they could lifetime warranty consumables.

JL..............
                          I don't know either. They are the only guys that I know that do. I still need to learn how to sharpen drill bits by hand, but I know that I don't need to do it for anything 1/2 inch or less, which is nice.
                          My recommendation?

No matter what I tell you, get a second opinion.

Comment

MSC seems to carry a good assortment of Hertel taps and other cutting tools. Google on "Hertel at MSC". Based on past experience I don't trust MSC so wouldn't buy Hertel or anything else from them.

It appears some of MSC's Hertel taps are made in USA. Price-wise they're just above MSC's Interstate brand (quality import) , and lower than the major quality brands.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                              Price-wise they're just above MSC's Interstate brand (quality import) , and lower than the major quality brands.
                              OSG taps were about same price on MSC UK website (can't get to msc.com, they block foreign ip's..)
                              AFAIK OSG taps have pretty good reputation.

no matter what brand the prices seem to generally skyrocket once you go to specialities like coated HSS-PM

Comment

Working...
                              X