can you read Chinese (I think)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you read Chinese (I think)?

This is a label from a roll of some kind of 3M lapping film. I can tell that the abrasive is grade 0.3 micron and the backing film is 1 mil (0.001") thick. What I cannot tell is what the abrasive is. It could be aluminum oxide, silicon carbide, chrome oxide or diamond.

Google translate can't handle it. Can you?

metalmagpie

To me it appears to be Japanese. No clues, but it probably says about the same things as the other text on the label.

Mike

Comment

Imperial lapping film is good stuff, I have used it. Actual abrasive varies, I believe. I seem to recall that what I used years ago was cerium oxide, but it was quite a while back and I could easily be wrong.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

It is Japanese. the top two lines are specifically katakana, a written phonetic form used to express foreign words. i.e. it will sound out in Japaneses phonemes what the original (maybe English) words says. Expect some serious butchering of the original sounds!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana

Comment

Translation:

Imperial
          Wrapping Film Roll
          0.3mic grit size
          Acid Chrome abrasive
          1 mill base material
          3" Inside roll< something I can't make out>
          Bill

Comment

A friend that can read these Japanese phonetic characters once told me that he saw a box in a speedshop that translated to "intercoorer". Pretty funny....

Comment

Originally posted by willmac View Post
              Translation:

Imperial
              Wrapping Film Roll
              0.3mic grit size
              Acid Chrome abrasive
              1 mill base material
              3" Inside roll< something I can't make out>
              That's what I needed, thanks! I figure 'acid chome' is probably 'chrome oxide' since the latter is actually used. The former might be a good band name, though!

metalmagpei

Comment

Originally posted by Royldean View Post
                A friend that can read these Japanese phonetic characters once told me that he saw a box in a speedshop that translated to "intercoorer". Pretty funny....
                That is funny.
                I had a good laugh the other day from a video. I had stumbled across a really talented chinese guy (Young Je) making wood working tools (planes, etc.) using both wood and metal skills. I haven't figured out if he's in China or some english speaking area, since I see both written languages on various boxes, etc.

One video I watched was his making a beautiful infill block plane. Toward the end he unwraps a piece of O1 1/8" steel and cuts it and forms/bevels it for the cutting iron. Then it shows him outside with a makeshift (bucket) forge in which he brings it up to temperature then dunks it into a container to quench.

The lettering on that container was chinese, and there was a visible picture of a shrimp on the front of the container.

Well down in the viewer comments, someone asks, apparently in all seriousness, "do you get a better heat treatment by quenching in the shrimp sauce?"
                Last edited by lynnl; 10-26-2018, 01:50 PM.
                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
                  That's what I needed, thanks! I figure 'acid chome' is probably 'chrome oxide' since the latter is actually used. The former might be a good band name, though!

metalmagpei
                  Searched on the 3M site, B4735-4 no match, JV0190-0440-7 no match either. No exact match with a Google search either. Odd. Browsing the 3M site, found similar a similar product in roll form, but no exact match either.

Did find some reference to your lapping paper here: http://www.ussupplyinc.com/products/3m.html#lapping
                  Last edited by reggie_obe; 10-26-2018, 03:09 PM.

Comment

I can't believe that a Japanese would ever use a meaningless term like "1 mil" amongst the metric dimensions.

Comment

Working...
                    X