Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CL: Excello Milling machine on East Coast w/ball screws for cheap $$$ (project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CL: Excello Milling machine on East Coast w/ball screws for cheap $$$ (project)

If anyone is looking for a project, there is a Excello milling machine available on Craigslist in the Boston area for cheap $$$. It should have ball screws and would probably make a nice manual machine if it's not too worn out. If the ball screws are still good, that's the price of the machine right there.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/tl...731336461.html

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    If anyone is looking for a project, there is a Excello milling machine available on Craigslist in the Boston area for cheap $$$. It should have ball screws and would probably make a nice manual machine
    why not a high quality cnc? replace the old drives with AC brushless servos and away you go. Redoing old CNC's is a great way to get a CNC - a lot easier than starting with a manual mill
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
      why not a high quality cnc? replace the old drives with AC brushless servos and away you go. Redoing old CNC's is a great way to get a CNC - a lot easier than starting with a manual mill
      Very true, most of the conversion work has already been done.

Comment

54" Bullard VTL in New Haven if your floor can hack 25k lbs.
        Len

Comment

Ball screws are typically less than ideal for a manual machine. Steep pitch and low friction mean the unused axes can move while cutting. Great for CNC though, as the steppers/servos will hold them in place.

Comment

Manual is out due to the ball screws.

It's fitted with servos, but no drives or controller. Any guesses as to the previous control? Interfacing the linear scales may be a challenge. Gecko drives?
            Or something more? Linux CNC? I bet it would take another $1500 and about 200 hours to put it back into operation.

Unless someone had all the "stuff" off a mini mill conversion they wanted to swap over ;-) Hint Hint.... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post
              Manual is out due to the ball screws.

It's fitted with servos, but no drives or controller. Any guesses as to the previous control? Interfacing the linear scales may be a challenge. Gecko drives?
              Or something more? Linux CNC? I bet it would take another $1500 and about 200 hours to put it back into operation.

Unless someone had all the "stuff" off a mini mill conversion they wanted to swap over ;-) Hint Hint.... ;-)
              I did a bridgeport that was missing even more parts, it was a boss3 cnc originally. I got the machine for $300 and the retrofit to linuxcnc and servos cost WELL under $1000. There were NO electronics on the machine. The most expensive part was the pair of mesa boards for about $250. The machine performs excellent now, I am very pleased with it.

The machine in this thread would be a easy Linuxcnc retrofit.... two motors are there, I would guess they are servo's. I used AMC BE25A20AC servo drives from ebay that I got for $35 each (they have built in power supplies). The linear scales would also be no problem to interface into linuxcnc or just add encoders to the motors, you could even use both.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                I did a bridgeport that was missing even more parts, it was a boss3 cnc originally. I got the machine for $300 and the retrofit to linuxcnc and servos cost WELL under $1000. There were NO electronics on the machine. The most expensive part was the pair of mesa boards for about $250. The machine performs excellent now, I am very pleased with it.

The machine in this thread would be a easy Linuxcnc retrofit.... two motors are there, I would guess they are servo's. I used AMC BE25A20AC servo drives from ebay that I got for $35 each (they have built in power supplies). The linear scales would also be no problem to interface into linuxcnc or just add encoders to the motors, you could even use both.
                recycled hardware helps keep cost down significantly!

Keep up the good work! I'm just plugging the hardware! ;-)

Comment

This machine is begging to have a Centroid controller mounted on it. Put a Centroid Oak board, two more AC servo motors, 4 servo drives and start making chips.

Only problem I see is the head is bent......someone must have dropped it on it's head!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

FYI, price dropped from the initial $1000 (IIRC) to the current $650. The head alone should be worth that.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/tl...731336461.html

Comment

Working...
                    X