OT: In case you still care about Photo****et

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: In case you still care about Photo****et

They sent me a nice little email explaining that "free" photobucket is still available. They will just put a little (somewhat obtrusive, actually) watermark on the photo if you use their free service. You can get rid of it if you subscribe.

Personally, I have had a jugful of PB, and am not very interested in paying them. But I never removed my pics from PB, so all my old ones should be still there, presumably now with the watermark.

The email:

"Starting November 1st, you will see a discreet “Proudly hosted on Photobucket” watermark on any images you display on sites other than Photobucket.

This change will allow us to continue offering our image hosting service to you as a free user. If you don’t mind the watermark and wish to continue as a free user, you won’t need to do anything. If you prefer no watermarking, simply upgrade to one of our affordable premium plans starting at only $4.48 per month. "

It looks as if they basically "caved", as it was pretty obvious that they were going to have to. The monthly fee ends up being about $54 per year, in case you are curious but do not want to do the math. No intention of doing anything like that here, but some may.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

If they had done THAT originally instead of the ridiculous course that they did take I'd still happily be a member. After all, their sandbox, their rules. And I might even have decided to buy one of their plans. But that ship sailed for me.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
      If they had done THAT originally instead of the ridiculous course that they did take I'd still happily be a member. After all, their sandbox, their rules. And I might even have decided to buy one of their plans. But that ship sailed for me.
      That ship sunk for me. I use use.com it is much faster than PB ever was and a much better user experience.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

This is a photobucket picture. I just copied the img url. I don't see a watermark do you?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

The watermark is just to the right of the horses tail.
          I have never posted pics because it was too much bother, I hoped that the stillborn new forum might have made it easy.
          Last edited by old mart; 10-26-2018, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

This is a photobucket picture. I just copied the img url. I don't see a watermark do you?
            Only when I open my eyes

Comment

Great picture! I don't see a water mark but it's not November 1st yet.

Does your property have a slope to it or is one of your legs shorter than the other?

Comment

Thank you for posting this about Photobucket. I had looked through all the posts about shop made tools when I first got a mini mill and mini lathe but didn't have the tooling or experience to duplicate them. When I finally got some tooling and a little experience I went back to see what I might be capable of duplicating and all the pictures were gone. Now it appears that the pictures are back so I expect to spend hours looking through the 344 pages of Shop Made Tools. Then maybe I can make a few simple ones.

Comment

Their watermark is shaped like a Palomino Horse..
                  Steange that anyone could miss it.,

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

You MISSED the bit about that starting as of Nov 1..... go re-read the announcement. (it IS the very first line of their announcement..... )

Watermark, WHEN THEY START NOV1, will appear on the left, probably about the level of your daughter's boots.
                    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-26-2018, 04:22 PM.

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      You MISSED the bit about that starting as of Nov 1..... go re-read the announcement. (it IS the very first line of their announcement..... )

Watermark, WHEN THEY START NOV1, will appear on the left, probably about the level of your daughter's boots.
                      Yep, totally missed that, sorry.

Comment

With their watermark on YOUR photo, do they own it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
                          With their watermark on YOUR photo, do they own it?
                          They can basically do what they want with the images but you still own them.

Content & Privacy

You retain all your rights to any Content you submit, upload or display on or while using Photobucket. This means that you own all the Content you post and are responsible for its settings:

• You can mark any Content you upload as "private." Content marked "private" will not show up in public search results on the Site and only Users you have given access will be able to view the Content.
                            • Although we have created measures to protect your privacy, please be aware that just because something is marked "private," does not mean that only the people you invite will see it. Users may still be able to find the direct URL for a photo or through other search mechanisms, and then share or link to it outside the Site.
                            • Please remember, if you share Content from the Site or provide someone with a direct link to Content, others may be able to see it, even if you marked it "private" on the Site.

• If you remove your Content from the Site or mark Content as "private" that was previously public, Photobucket will promptly hide it from search results on the Site; however, we might still have it stored in backup files or on servers, and we may retain it as needed. We are not responsible for sites that it was shared to before it was marked "private."
                          • When you make your Content public, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, non-revocable, right and license to copy, sell, convey, distribute, stream, post, publicly display (e.g. post it elsewhere), reproduce and create derivative works from it (meaning things based on it), whether in print or any kind of electronic version that exists now or is later developed, for any purpose, including a commercial purpose with the right to sublicense such rights to others.
                          • By making your content public, you are also giving all other Users the right to copy, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and create derivative works from it via the Site, third party websites or applications (for example, via services allowing Members to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content, and via social media websites), provided such use is not for a commercial purpose.
                          • By uploading, you are confirming that the Content is yours—no one else's—and that the uploading and use of your Content does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, intellectual property rights or human rights of somebody else. If we learn that you are infringing others' rights or are using Content that is not yours, Photobucket has the right to remove this Content and you agree that you are responsible for any costs associated with the infringement.
                          • Photobucket may manipulate your Content to offer the Photobucket Services (including transcoding and/or reformatting Content) to allow its use throughout the Photobucket Services.
                          • Photobucket has the right to place advertising, promotions, notifications or identifiers, banners and watermarks on or near your Content, and how and what are up to us.

Comment

You probably already posted stuff on PB, in which case the ship of ownership and so forth has already sailed years ago.

Comment

Does any one know if they will be unblocking the pictures from years past? Restoring some old posts to their former glory.

lg
                              no neat sig line
                              near Salem OR

Comment

Working...
                              X