X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Looks Real Super Handy..... But

I wouldn't buy anything made in India.

eBay item number:

I wonder where they came up with the design???? Is it an original or does or did someone else make this. Knowing the way these India and China companies copy stuff I had to ask.

Note: Look close at the inside corners of the V !! That should give you an idea of the overall quality. Also I don't see any way of clamping anything down in the V.

JL................

Last edited by JoeLee; 10-27-2018, 10:03 AM.

Even if it were high class, I can't think of anything I could use it for that an Angle and a V block wouldn't do better. :-)
    ...lew...

Comment

Even dirt cheap, how much measurement and rework may be needed to check and achieve: flat; square; parallel? As-is, might be okay for use on a drill press.
      Yeah, it's a hobby, but is your "hobby" time unlimited?
      Even if it is unlimited, coudn't that time be better spent than in re-work?

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
        Even dirt cheap, how much measurement and rework may be needed to check and achieve: flat; square; parallel? As-is, might be okay for use on a drill press.
        Yeah, it's a hobby, but is your "hobby" time unlimited?
        Even if it is unlimited, coudn't that time be better spent than in re-work?
        If it would be really dirt cheap I could use one or two on welding setups.

Comment

$87! No thanks. (4x4x6, btw)

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            I wouldn't buy anything made in India.

eBay item number:

I wonder where they came up with the design???? Is it an original or does or did someone else make this. Knowing the way these India and China companies copy stuff I had to ask.

Note: Look close at the inside corners of the V !! That should give you an idea of the overall quality. Also I don't see any way of clamping anything down in the V.

JL................
            Don't go into farming if you won't buy anything made in India. Some John Deere tractors are made there.

Comment

Don't go into farming if you won't buy anything made in India. Some John Deere tractors are made there.
              do they have a leather seat option?

Comment

Originally posted by RMinMN View Post
                Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
                do they have a leather seat option?
                No, but they do come with the JD ball cap equivalent, a green turban.

Yes, some smaller tractors. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...1092233AAyQ8oW

Comment

Doesn't surprise me.

JL.............

Comment

"I wouldn't buy anything made in India"

Writing off an entire country's manufacturing because you only look at the low end stuff is crazy. You can buy junk from ANY country, including the one we live in. Sure the pic you show is evidence of junk if you desire a precision finished item, but someone is buying them and as long as they do the manf will keep selling them.

I bought some items from Enco made in India - perfect. But that was because Enco (or any real importing reseller) was enforcing minimal standards on the suppliers. What you see now is many suppliers in the foreign county selling direct, and they will sell anything you will buy. They may not be smart enough to take a picture of the best items, but even if they did the item you receive may not be representative. If MSC bought the items for resale they would perform some type of QA, but sell it for $500 and maybe you'd be happy. Heck, the rejects would still be sold direct on ebay Buyer beware.
                    Last edited by lakeside53; 10-27-2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

There's also the difference between perfect and "good enuf". It is usually measured in tenths and dollars with an inverse relationship. The closer the tolerance, the higher the cost. I farm. Many of my uses of metal are sub-critical. If it is within .010 it is "good enuf". For those where the size is critical I must pay much more.

Comment

That's one of those products whose only "use" is to separate the buyer from his money.

Comment

I think only some (5E) of the mid-size 5 series are made in India. The 5M and 5R, as well as the larger 6, 7R, 8R/RT, and 9RX Series are made in the U.S. The smaller 1, 2, 3, and 4 Series are (?) all Japanese built. So, a pretty small fraction are built in India.

Comment

Many years ago I was an apprentice machinist in shop that had been around for nearly 100 years. Some of their equipment may have been older. There was one clapped out lathe that was only used for boring out the cast iron bodies of manually operated bilge pumps before they were lined with brass sheet. The bore did not have to be any particular size, merely cleaned up and relatively smooth.

Beat up old lathe, long boring bar = recipe for chatter. I tinkered with every part of the lathe that was tinkerable, put weights on the boring bar, and finally got the chatter reduced to the point where I could do a decent job. I was quite proud of myself.

A machinist from India who was about my age was hired. Whether because he had been working (child labour?) since he was 8, or because all he had ever had to work with was poor quality equipment, or merely because he an ace at what he did I don’t know. In any case he totally put me to shame in persuading that machine to behave in a decent way. When he was through and worked at it, it hummed.

While it’s true that some pretty poor quality equipment can come from some of the countries that are less developed than those in “the west”, don’t confuse that with the ability of the workers there. I think if they had the managerial oversight, motivation, financial incentive, and were allowed to produce high quality goods, they’d be entirely capable of doing so.

(Side note about those bilge pumps. Old timer told me “Eh, they never use those anyway. If they get to the point where they’d need to they just abandon ship.”)
                            "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                              "I wouldn't buy anything made in India"

Writing off an entire country's manufacturing because you only look at the low end stuff is crazy. You can buy junk from ANY country, including the one we live in. ........
                              Any more, it seem ALL YOU CAN BUY FROM THE US IS JUNK, because everyone is "trying to compete with china".

There ihas been some real trash from india, worse than any chinese stuff ever was.

Back when J&L was still in business, they tried to sell me a Jacobs chuck adapter from india that was so bad I nearly threw it at the clerk..... it was not even ground on the tapers, most of them were still rough.
                              Last edited by J Tiers; 10-27-2018, 02:08 PM.
                              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
                              X