No announcement yet.

Got A Couple Surface Grinders - I Think Gloat Worthy - Maybe Even A You Suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got A Couple Surface Grinders - I Think Gloat Worthy - Maybe Even A You Suck

Went to an auction today thinking maybe I'll get lucky and get a surface grinder. I also was hoping the TDR/SDR drill sharpener would go for a good price. The drill sharpener ended up being bundled with a lot of stuff I didn't want and I passed on it. I did spend 2 bucks on a decent workbench because I wanted the 2 drawers attached to it and maybe I'll find room for the bench too.

There were three hydraulic surface grinders and two manual surface grinders, after selling the hydraulic grinders no one wanted to bid on the manual ones. I waited until the auctioneer was ready to walk away and he tried one more time, he said 50 bucks will anyone bid 50. After I bid 50 he said you need to take both sorta kidding sorta serious, so I said yeah I'll take both. I really did want a manual grinder not hydraulic so it worked out very well for me as nobody else there wanted a manual grinder.

The one that I'll probably keep is an Okamoto 6x18 that seems to be in good condition and one of the guys that had worked there told me that it runs very well. That same guy showed me that the workbench that I bought had a lot of turned and ground pins on the shelf that he used as gauge pins. So that was an added bonus.

The other surface grinder is a 6x18 Boyer Schultz that I can detect some play when the spindle is turned back and forth. Not bearing play, I think it is in the coupling between the motor and the spindle. I hope to be able to repair that with not much trouble, if not maybe it will sell for parts. That grinder was also missing a hub and wheel. Before bidding I had found 2 hubs and 5 wheels in a cabinet and after talking to the guy that bought the cabinet he sold me the wheels and hubs for twenty bucks which worked out well for both of us.

I figure I wont use it very often but I know there are times when I was wish I had a surface grinder and now I have two. Here are some pictures, I included a picture of a huge Carlton Radial Arm Drill that sold for $500.00, I hope It doesn't go for scrap. It was a pretty good day.

Dwight

Surface Grinders

Grinding Wheels & Gauge Pins

Radial Arm Drill

Wow great deal I am happy for you.
    You may use the grinder more than you think, think grinding HsS tools.
    I will share a trick later that is crazy use full for that.

Comment

Buyers Premium %? Did they charge to load large equipment or did you rig the grinders yourself?

Comment

I used to run a radial drill that looked a lot like that one. Drilled up to 3" holes with it. We also used it to twist tracking for handling parts. Turn it down to it's slowest speed and twist away. Now you can hardly give one away.

Brian
        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Man we never get stuff like that in Arkansas.. I'll make is official: YOU SUCK.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
            Buyers Premium %? Did they charge to load large equipment or did you rig the grinders yourself?
            No buyers premium, but I paid as much to load them as I paid for the grinders. Actually I only paid to load one because I couldn't fit two on my truck, I need to go back on Monday to get the smaller one.
            I did tell the rigger that he should feel guilty charging 50 for the Boyer Schultz as the mills and lathes are 50 also. He said we will talk on Monday so I'm assuming that maybe that one will be less. I'm hoping
            he loads that one for free we will see.

Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by quadrod View Post
              Man we never get stuff like that in Arkansas.. I'll make is official: YOU SUCK.
              Thank you.

Comment

You suck x10^2, will that suffice?
                Think I saw a video by mr Brian Block entitled “what can you do with a radial arm drill?” , i beleive he was referring to his Carlton, turns out you can bust concrete by dropping the thing on it, either that or the Carlton’s notoriously unreliable anti gravity attachment was switched off or broken.
                Nice grinders hope you get so confused you won’t know which one to use, gloat my arse, don’t buy a lotto ticket, lucks all used up
                Mark

Comment

Very nice tools!!! I am happy for you. I am more jealous about the space you have to accommodate them JR
                  My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Like a hundred and fifty is too much right, lol.
                    My buddy lives 7 hrs from me found a hydraulic Brown and Sharpe 618 online for 500 bux, i told him grab it.
                    He did and then sent it out to me by truck.
                    Used it off a year of two , great machines we still have it , but not in use right now.

Comment

OH YEA, that is definitely suck worthy! That's a great deal. Congratulation!

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                        You suck x10^2, will that suffice?
                        Think I saw a video by mr Brian Block entitled “what can you do with a radial arm drill?” , i beleive he was referring to his Carlton, turns out you can bust concrete by dropping the thing on it, either that or the Carlton’s notoriously unreliable anti gravity attachment was switched off or broken.
                        Nice grinders hope you get so confused you won’t know which one to use, gloat my arse, don’t buy a lotto ticket, lucks all used up
                        Mark
                        Yes that will more than suffice, thanks. I had to take a picture of that drill, never saw one that big. I thought it was really cool, couldn't imagine actually using one like that, I could imagine that it would twist some decent size metal easily. I forgot to post a picture of the "mantel clock" that I bought off of one of the other guys at the auction. I thought it was really cool. It's 18" wide x 1 1/2" thick cut from solid steel, very heavy for it's size. The guy bought some file drawers for blueprints and the "clock" was sitting on top. I offered him 10 bucks and he was happy to sell it. He probably didn't pay much more than that for the file drawers. It was very dusty but not a speck of rust on it so I think it is probably stainless but it is magnetic. I think it would be nice to mill a pocket in it and put a real clock in it. It also needs a little polishing and deburring but should make a cool mantel clock and I have a mantel to set it on. Have a good one.

Dwight

Comment

You suck.

Your father sucks, and your grandfather sucks. You sons suck and your grandchildren will suck. Down to your tenth generation shall they suck. Your aunts and uncles suck. Your cousins suck even unto fourth cousins and twice removed. Your town sucks. Your county sucks. Your cats, dogs, birds, fish and whatever pets you have suck. Your lawn sucks, your trees suck, your garden sucks, and your earthworms suck. All mention of your name sucks, throughout all time. Thou shalt be known as He Who Sucks through history until all mankind has perished and the sun has been extinguished.

Comment

Did you pay $50 for both or apiece? If $50 for both then you suck. If $50 apiece then you got robbed!!!
                            How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Two grinders for the price of a wheel hub? I'd call that a steal, not a deal!
                              Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                              Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                              Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Working...
                              X