Looking for ideas for variable small speed motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for ideas for variable small speed motor

Looking for ideas for a small variable speed motor set up for a few different projects around the shop and thought of the lot on this board. Not looking to cannibalize a portable drill, but the size and speed range would be acceptable. Want something in a ready made package that I can slap a project box around the electronics and mount a speed pot to. Willing to make the motor's mount. You guys seen anything lately that fits this bill? Under $100 would be nice. Had even considered this https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Spindle...n/162718195720 Other, better ideas?

Lots of DC motors here:

Stepper motors and controllers:

Also here:

Another source:
    Motors of all types stocked at Surplus Sales. AC, DC, Steppers, Gear Motors, Liftmaster, Solenoids, Actuators, Step Start Controllers and more.

You haven't provided much in the way of specs. Voltage, speed, power, torque, size, price? Depending on needs, discarded or cheap power tools on Craigs List, freecycle, yard sales, and flea markets might be your best bet.
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Here is a recent thread that may be useful:
      bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/77246-Anyone-experienced-with-the-Consew-sewing-machine-motors?

Comment

The Consew motor sounds perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
          Not looking to cannibalize a portable drill,
          Not even one from a thrift store or garage sale?

Comment

I think we're talking about two different classes of machine here. Nothing wrong with re-using a cordless drill- they have power and torque, and work great as portable tools or captive in a mount of some kind. A spindle motor with a chuck of some kind on it is going to be capable of higher speeds, and will have a much lower runout. It can also be used hand-held or captive in a mount. The kind of work you would be doing with it will determine which way to go.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Look on Craig's List for free tread mills. The motors work great for drill presses, bandsaws, lathes, and etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Cordochorea View Post
                Not even one from a thrift store or garage sale?
                No. And unnecessary. I literally have a large box load of them I could cannibalize from my time as an employee. I have no desire to fiddle fart with making suitable housings or mounts for the bits once having done so. More work than necessary, or worth for that matter. In fact, I should probably start to giving them away soon...

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                You haven't provided much in the way of specs. Voltage, speed, power, torque, size, price? Depending on needs, discarded or cheap power tools on Craigs List, freecycle, yard sales, and flea markets might be your best bet.
                You are absolutely correct. I left that wide open. Long day, yesterday.

Something I can plug into 110V wall outlet. Open to it doing some manner of conversion to the voltage for use. Small is good. Will be driving things like small centers and Harig fixtures for grinding and the like. Variable speed necessary. Likely even turn and burn in the WEDM. Probably make pulleys and run with o-ring belt. I was thinking of something along these lines - LINKY Remove the likely poorly made and installed ER bits and install a pulley.

Thanks.

Comment

How about one of these? https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electr...C-Wiper-Motors
                  Plenty small, would be easy to speed control.
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                    How about one of these? https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electr...C-Wiper-Motors
                    Plenty small, would be easy to speed control.
                    The link comes up with an error page for me, here. However, I am hoping to find a solution that has a speed controller in place already. Much like the link I posted directly before your response. I did find that after my initial post, and it may well indeed be the best solution for what I seek, but I thought to ask the blokes here initially because as a lot they seem to be commonly aware of such manner of things.

Thanks.

Comment

Willing to make the motor's mount
                      I have no desire to fiddle fart with making suitable housings or mounts for the bits once having done so
                      ???
                      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                        ???
                        Hahahaha! You are right to question that. I will try to clarify -

I will undoubtedly need to make something to mount the motor to, in order to keep it place so that a belt can be used. I am not very keen to be making bits suitable for mounting a naked motor, such as they typically exist within the housings of portable hand held drills. They very oft have less traditional cans that can mean a more laborious effort to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
                          The link comes up with an error page for me, here. However, I am hoping to find a solution that has a speed controller in place already. Much like the link I posted directly before your response. I did find that after my initial post, and it may well indeed be the best solution for what I seek, but I thought to ask the blokes here initially because as a lot they seem to be commonly aware of such manner of things.

Thanks.
                          Hrm, that's odd about the link... DC wiper motors. Power seat motors are a good bet too, have more standard mountings and housings on them yet they are still pretty small. Lots of torque too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcraft-...-/291754717686
                          Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 10-28-2018, 07:18 PM.
                          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Power seat motors are what you'd call 'very intermittent duty'. They are compact and powerful, but not something you'd want to run for more than several seconds at a time. They also want a fairly high current, which most 12v power supplies aren't really designed for. Sure, you can get around this by finding the right power supply- then of course you have to come up with a speed control- maybe not the best way to go. I just have a feeling that what you're really looking for is actually a spindle motor, and for the least hassle and farting around it should run from 110 and come with its own speed control. It would be better for side loading as well, having at least one ball bearing, and will probably be rated for continuous duty at a reasonable power level.

If you're like me and willing to fiddle around with electronics and power supplies, mechanical mock-ups for mounting, etc, then go for it with any of the dc motor sources like windshield wiper motors, seat motors, linear actuator motors, etc. You do need to develop a feel for what power levels you need, what power levels a particular motor can provide, run times vs temperature rise, etc. Most of these dc motors will be limited to perhaps 100 watts- most spindle motors are rated for much more than that. A treadmill motor is more powerful, but also larger- and still requires a power supply with a speed control. And in terms of power it's always rated at speed- slow it down and the power output will be lower. You may have to work out some actual figures before you choose which way to go.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I have in the past considered the Sherline lathe/milling machine motor and drive as a power unit for various projects. I have not yet obtained one.

Comment

Working...
                              X